Alternatives to FSA MegaExo BB

Old November 22nd 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Thanks - but how about original question ?

On Nov 22, 6:30*am, wrote:
While I appreciate all the editorial replies (and I agree that the old
square taper Campy cartridge BB's were the best and UN-73 pretty
good), the MegaExo came on a team bike and I actually like the
crankarms themselves.Does anyone have an answer to my original
question ? Are Shimano/SRAM/King bearings and cups interchangeable
with the MegaExo?

Thanks

In terms of shifting and crank arm stiffness shimano is the way to go.
I have not run into any other cranks that are stiffer and shift as
well as shimano for the weight (Campy is just as good if you can spend
the money.) The bearings on the shimano BB are good, better than FSA
and truvativ, but you would be better off with phil wood bearings or a
king BB. Sram, which is Truvativ, are good but I find them to be
heavier with inferior bearings to shimano.

Steve Sauter
Old November 22nd 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Nov 22, 6:52*am, wrote:
On Nov 22, 6:30*am, wrote:

[...]

Nit picking but apples to apples.Campagnolo aluminum crank, like
Centaur, is less expensive than Ultegra and the shimano carbon crank
is $1300 if it ever is made.
Even the SuperRecord crank , with ceramic bearing(NOT necessary, IMO,
btw), is $300 less than the shimano carbon one. Centaur carbon is
about the same as DA aluminum.
Old November 22nd 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
wrote:

While I appreciate all the editorial replies (and I agree that the
old square taper Campy cartridge BB's were the best and UN-73 pretty
good), the MegaExo came on a team bike and I actually like the
crankarms themselves.Does anyone have an answer to my original
question ? Are Shimano/SRAM/King bearings and cups interchangeable
with the MegaExo?

I see from the subsequent responses that your question has not been
answered. That tells me that the group participants don't know.

Checking the Phil Wood Web site:

http://www.philwood.com/products/Bearings.pdf

It appears that they do sell replacement bearings (# 6805) that will fit
the FSA/Shimano/Race Face and other outboard bearing BBs (about halfway
down the page). IMHO you won't find better bearings that Phil's.

You can check the code on your bearings- the bearing shields should have
a number on them and it's probably 6805.

Hope this helps!
Old November 22nd 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
wizardB

Default Alternatives to FSA MegaExo BB

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:49 pm, Chris wrote:
On Nov 21, 9:47 pm, landotter wrote:

On Nov 21, 9:27 pm, wrote:
If so, are any of them any better in terms of bearing drag / durability?

You can replace the bearings with Phil Wood bearings, which is the
best idea in my opinion. The cups are most likely fine, which means
it's the bearings which need replacing. Phil bearings are widely
hailed as some of the best for quality, durability, and reputation.

If ya want durabilty switch back to traditional cranks and BBs with
decent sized balls.,

Actually, the Mega EXO BB has more balls than a regular Shimano BB and
probably has bigger bearings too.

Chris

BUT not 1/4 inch, which used to be the 'standard' and still works well
with a square taper crank.

Why not buy a set of Enduro bearing for about $25 and install them in
the old cups they are stronger and better built then the OEM cups
Old November 22nd 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

While the Phil bearing option sounds like the best. the tool is $ 111
and the bearings $50. While I'm fully cognizant that the FSA BB is
crap, seems easier and quicker (especially on a cross bike that gets
abused in all conditions) to replace it as needed. When the chainrings
go, I'll replace the whole crankset/BB with something better.
Thanks for the replies.

Old November 22nd 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

While the Phil bearing option sounds like the best. the tool is $ 111
and *the bearings $50. While I'm fully cognizant that the FSA BB is
crap, seems easier and quicker (especially on a cross bike that gets
abused in all conditions) to replace it as needed. When the chainrings
go, I'll replace the whole crankset/BB with something better.
Thanks for the replies.

Phil's blessing is very dear. But I have not been able to distinguish
between my bikes that have been blessed by His Greatness and my bikes
that have not. If you care to go without the most holy sacramental
Specification, you can get ordinary 6805 bearings for eight bucks a
pop.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/25mm/kit962

Chalo
Old November 22nd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Chisholm wrote:

If so, are any of them any better in terms of bearing
drag/durability?

You can replace the bearings with Phil Wood bearings, which is the
best idea in my opinion. The cups are most likely fine, which means
it's the bearings which need replacing. Phil bearings are widely
hailed as some of the best for quality, durability, and reputation.

If ya want durability switch back to traditional cranks and BB's
with decent sized balls.

Actually, the Mega EXO BB has more balls than a regular Shimano BB
and probably has bigger bearings too.

BUT not 1/4 inch, which used to be the 'standard' and still works
well with a square taper crank.

For a given diameter a full complement ball bearing can support loads
proportional to the ratio of ball diameter squared. Therefore, a 1/4"
full complement ball bearing is more durable than one with smaller
balls of that size.

It is not for idle conformity that 1/4" balls are used in better rear
wheel hubs and BB's all these years. As mentioned 1/4" square taper
BB's run amazingly well for long service.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 22nd 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:08:18 -0800 (PST), Chalo

While the Phil bearing option sounds like the best. the tool is $ 111
and *the bearings $50. While I'm fully cognizant that the FSA BB is
crap, seems easier and quicker (especially on a cross bike that gets
abused in all conditions) to replace it as needed. When the chainrings
go, I'll replace the whole crankset/BB with something better.
Thanks for the replies.

Phil's blessing is very dear. But I have not been able to distinguish
between my bikes that have been blessed by His Greatness and my bikes
that have not. If you care to go without the most holy sacramental
Specification, you can get ordinary 6805 bearings for eight bucks a
pop.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/25mm/kit962

Absolutely. Bearings are bearings and putting a brand name like Wood
or King on the label increases only the price.

And there is a very low tech jury rig alternative to the $111 tool if
you don't mind the inelegance. Secure the cup in a wooden vice and
punch the bearing out using an old 27.2 seatpost (which by
coincidence or design is exactly the right diameter0 and a rubber
mallet. I've used this method a number of times with FSA Mega Exo
with no adverse consequences to either the bearings or the cups.

Old November 29th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris[_12_]

On Nov 22, 3:30*am, wrote:
While I appreciate all the editorial replies (and I agree that the old
square taper Campy cartridge BB's were the best and UN-73 pretty
good), the MegaExo came on a team bike and I actually like the
crankarms themselves.Does anyone have an answer to my original
question ? Are Shimano/SRAM/King bearings and cups interchangeable
with the MegaExo?

Thanks

I would point out that I said you could get bbearings/b for your
BB from Phil, not get a BB from Phil. The bearings are $25 per, but
they wear longer than the stock bearings, which do seem to be the
problem, and probably cheaper than a whole new BB.

I would also mention that Phil is coming out with stainless steel
external cups for the MegaExo compatable cranks in the near time.

Chris

Token BB vs FSA MegaExo bicycle_disciple Techniques 21 August 23rd 07 05:53 PM
Megaexo vs Isis RS Techniques 12 January 19th 07 01:14 AM
FS: FSA SL-K Crankset - MegaExo! Scott Marketplace 1 February 26th 06 11:13 PM
SL-K COMPACT MEGAEXO aameti Techniques 9 April 15th 05 02:11 PM
Alternatives to GAzz teachndad Unicycling 26 March 18th 05 12:28 PM