Shimano rd m-900?

Old September 6th 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Fester Bestertester

Default Shimano rd m-900?

Is this a 9-speed derailleur? Or not?

thanks.

Old September 6th 09, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Hank

On Sep 5, 9:09*pm, Fester Bestertester wrote:
Is this a 9-speed derailleur? Or not?

thanks.

Not designed to be, but no reason it won't work. Cable pull ratio's
the same.
Old September 6th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Fester Bestertester

Not designed to be, but no reason it won't work. Cable pull ratio's
the same.

I know so little about derailleur science. Isn't the range (low to high) a
limitation? If it's an 8 speed, won't its range be too "narrow" for a 9s
cassette?

Thanks.

Old September 6th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Norman

On Sep 6, 12:39*am, Fester Bestertester wrote:
Not designed to be, but no reason it won't work. Cable pull ratio's
the same.

I know so little about derailleur science. Isn't the range (low to high) a
limitation? If it's an 8 speed, won't its range be too "narrow" for a 9s
cassette?

Not if the limit screws come out far enough.

I've shifted a 9sp cassette with a 1980s Huret
derailer that was meant for 5sp. Indexing didn't
work, and I couldn't get it into the biggest rear
sprocket, but if I'd taken a file to the body I
could have made it reach. But I mean if you
can't get up a hill in 39:21, you can't get up
that hill.
Old September 6th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Hank

On Sep 5, 9:39*pm, Fester Bestertester wrote:
Not designed to be, but no reason it won't work. Cable pull ratio's
the same.

I know so little about derailleur science. Isn't the range (low to high) a
limitation? If it's an 8 speed, won't its range be too "narrow" for a 9s
cassette?

Thanks.

C-C cog spacing is narrower on a 9-speed cassette than an 8-speed.
Both cassettes mount on the same freehub body and have the same frame
spacing. They'll both cover the same range.
Old September 6th 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
Fester Bestertester

C-C cog spacing is narrower on a 9-speed cassette than an 8-speed.
Both cassettes mount on the same freehub body and have the same frame
spacing. They'll both cover the same range.

Doh! I knew that...

Thanks!

Old September 6th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike
someone

On 6 Sep, 05:48, Norman wrote:
On Sep 6, 12:39*am, Fester Bestertester wrote:

Not designed to be, but no reason it won't work. Cable pull ratio's
the same.

I know so little about derailleur science. Isn't the range (low to high) a
limitation? If it's an 8 speed, won't its range be too "narrow" for a 9s
cassette?

Not if the limit screws come out far enough.

Limit screws always come out far enough, use a screwdriver until they
fall out.

I've shifted a 9sp cassette with a 1980s Huret
derailer that was meant for 5sp. *Indexing didn't
work, and I couldn't get it into the biggest rear
sprocket, but if I'd taken a file to the body I
could have made it reach.

Or just bent the tab if it was a steel mech, I did this with an Allvit
(or mabe it was a Svelto) over a 7speed (it was a Huret meant for 1/8"
sprockets, so old 4 speed), just chucked the set screws and set the
limits by bending the stops.

*But I mean if you
can't get up a hill in 39:21, you can't get up
that hill.

A 26 to 28 is nice to use with a 39 a 31 or 32 as reserve. I dont
really need a 13t never mind a 12 or a god forsaken 11tooth. I like a
full set of dentures, 32 teeth available so a I can gently chew up
them hills. No good using half my gnashers and wearing them out
because of overloading.