Will it open on time

Old May 20th 12, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Will it open on time

"M Wicks" wrote in message

We need to sit down and really think about how to hit unnecessary
drivers where it hurts, rather than putting in a few bus lanes etc.
here and there and hoping that will do the trick. It isn't working,
because no real research and coordination is happening, and also
because it is all being done covertly for fear of alienating those who
are making the unnecessary journeys (who, after all, vote).

The poor dears already suffer enough at their own hands - take a look at
this!

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/roadworks.wmv

How miserable a way to travel is that?
--
Simon Mason
Old May 20th 12, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sat, 19 May 2012 10:50:47 -0700 (PDT), M Wicks wrote:

On May 16, 11:23*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 16/05/2012 21:22, Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:35:38 +0100,
wrote:

On 16/05/2012 20:25, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:10:47 +0100,
wrote:

On 16/05/2012 07:45, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2012 23:40:38 +0100,
wrote:

On 15/05/2012 21:25, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
On 15/05/2012 20:49, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:05:01 +0100,
wrote:

On 15/05/2012 16:36, Bertie Wooster wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQJ_pMnO-GU#!

I said it would be open by 21 June. No one took me up on my offer of a
modest wager.

Time is running out...

Neat animation. Certainly as good as The Jetsons used to be, or Futurama.

Any word on when the real thing will be available?

TfL only say "summer 2012".
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...mes/15959.aspx

This video was shot 4 days ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OHLF0FQDg
It looks ready to me.

Or the fare levels?

Anything greater than £0 would be unfair, as motorists can cross under
the river for free. Pedestrians and cyclists are banned from the
Blackwall Tunnel.

Motorists pay Road Tax so nothing is free.

And there is also the little matter of a minimum of about 8p a mile in other
taxes. And insurance premium tax.

The Emirates Air Line is 0.61 miles long. Rounded up to the nearest
penny, that would make a charge of 5p. Assuming the average car weighs
1000Kg and the average human 75Kg the charge should be 1p (rounded up
from 0.366p).

You seem to have made the mistake of thinking that the cost of paying for and
operating an expensive white elephant is about the same per trip as the price
for fuel involved in driving a small car for about a kilometre.

But that's OK. You can already see where you went wrong.

And you seem to have made the mistake of thinking the Blackwall Tunnel
was built for motor vehicles.

It wasn't. Neither were Tottenham Court Road, Shaftesbury Avenue, Charing
Cross Road or Whitehall (or for that matter, certain quite long stretches of
the A1, A10, A2, A5 or A46).

But so what?

Having been build and paid for by non motorists, motorists now use it
free of charge and non-motorists banned.

Not so. Take a taxi.

It therefore would be right
for non-motorists to be provided with a free alternative.

A "free" alternative paid for by others?

Just remind us again why cyclists should be subsidised by the rest of society.
Are we? I expect I pay more tax than the average motorist, and I pay
VED to boot.

Use your car, then, and stop complaining.

Some of us try to limit our car use, being responsible members of
society who see all the downsides of motoring and are able and willing
to think of others.

Most car journeys are completely unnecessary, and therefore selfish. I
for one would applaud efforts by the government to penalise or even
ban unnecessary car journeys. This would not only benefit vulnerable
road users, but also those who actually needed to use their cars. It
is time that we took a more hardline approach on this issue, as it is
clear that existing feeble efforts to deter driving are not having the
desired effect (and are a blunt instrument in that they affect those
on necessary car journeys as much as the selfish majority of drivers).

I really do wish that you would just ****-off.

Old May 21st 12, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I really wish the s/he does not. S/He talks a f*****g sight more sense
that the paranoid misanthropist drivel that you vomit out.

--
Life is a venereal disease with 100% mortality.