Racing cyclist airlifted from Exmoor

Old October 24th 13, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Cummins[_7_]

Default Racing cyclist airlifted from Exmoor

In article , (Brian
Robertson) wrote:

But it isn't going to happen. Instead, we have a situation where
drivers are finding themselves banned, intimidated, fined and
priced off the very roads that they think they own.

I don't remember getting the title deeds with my Driving Licence.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old October 24th 13, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

wrote in message

On Thursday, 24 October 2013 14:13:05 UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
wrote in message

Safer to stay indoors, there are some nutters about:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-24642990

OT, try a motoring group.

....is the expected response, they don't like it up 'em.

....Is the standard psycholist diversionary reply. When reading an on topic
bad news post about a cyclist, always change the subject and then put your
hands over your ears and chant "La-La"

Old October 24th 13, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Seems to happen every year, racing on the road should be banned.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Cycl...#axzz2icxei3vj

I am in total agreement. Personal safety is far more important than a
stupid cycle race on a public road.

Old October 24th 13, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 24/10/2013 11:09, TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

Seems to happen every year, racing on the road should be banned.

Are you trying to claim this is statistically significant above background?

Devon Air Ambulance seems to like cyclists
http://www.daat.org/events/the+bike+...bulance+trust/

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Cycl...#axzz2icxei3vj

What was special about this one that it deserved a story? The report even
says "The man, who is *thought* to have suffered a broken pelvis".

The Air Ambulance has a mission map. This month alone, at least (I haven't
clicked all the missions) 7 people have been carried away from crashed motor
vehicles and 4 people from falls from horses. As usual, your sense of what
is important is skewed.

So because so many people have been injured in "normal" accidents, it's
a good idea to hold races on the highway?
Old October 24th 13, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 24/10/2013 13:48, TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote
[...]

without the race: this crash and serious injury would not have occurred.

You haven't a clue about what might have happened otherwise. Someone wanting
to go on that ride might have stayed at home and cut his finger with a
kitchen knife. Where does it say anything about "serious injury"?

That just might be a reasonable inference from his having to be
airlifted to hospital in a helicopter.

But strictly, you're right: he might only have stubbed his toe as far as
the detail in the report goes.

Old October 25th 13, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 25/10/2013 07:48, Phil W Lee wrote:
Brian Robertson considered Thu, 24 Oct 2013
13:23:51 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On 24/10/2013 12:57, Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

What race?
there is no reference to a race.

Without people going to visit relatives or go to the shops many car
accidents wouldn't occur. Can't they ring up or order by phone?

Is your 'disability' blindness?

The first line of the article says:
"A cyclist was airlifted to hospital after colliding with a vehicle
during an endurance race on Exmoor"

Notice the third word from the end, the word that starts with an 'r'
ands with an 'e'

Get your carer to check for you.

Old October 25th 13, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"JNugent" wrote
On 24/10/2013 11:09, TMS320 wrote:

The Air Ambulance has a mission map. This month alone, at least (I
haven't
clicked all the missions) 7 people have been carried away from crashed
motor
vehicles and 4 people from falls from horses. As usual, your sense of
what
is important is skewed.

So because so many people have been injured in "normal" accidents, it's a
good idea to hold races on the highway?

Lackofcheer didn't respond to this question. Are you going to decline too?
~ Are you trying to claim this is statistically significant above
background? ~

So they can run it in future so long as there is no time keeping? Yesterday
I cycled to visit my mother and the device on my handlebar showed I did
it in 26 minutes 36 seconds in one direction and 25 minutes 58 seconds in
the other. Was that racing?

(The only logical outcome for the fantasists would be for cyclists to be
banned from carrying anything capable of displaying or recording time or any
other information that allows time to be deduced. Furthermore they must not
look at the clock on the mantlepiece or village hall wall immediately before
or after the journey.)

Old October 25th 13, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/10/2013 13:58, TMS320 wrote:

"JNugent" wrote
On 24/10/2013 11:09, TMS320 wrote:

The Air Ambulance has a mission map. This month alone, at least (I
haven't clicked all the missions) 7 people have been carried away from crashed
motor vehicles and 4 people from falls from horses. As usual, your sense of
what is important is skewed.

So because so many people have been injured in "normal" accidents, it's a
good idea to hold races on the highway?

Lackofcheer didn't respond to this question.

What question?

Are you going to decline too?

Hard to say until you've asked the question, isn't it?

~ Are you trying to claim this is statistically significant above
background? ~

What does that question mean? To what does the word "this" refer?

So they can run it in future so long as there is no time keeping?

My position is clear and consistent: racing vehicles on the highway is
anti-social and stupid - and it should all be illegal.

Yesterday
I cycled to visit my mother and the device on my handlebar showed I did
it in 26 minutes 36 seconds in one direction and 25 minutes 58 seconds in
the other. Was that racing?

Only you know whether you were racing against the clock, trying to beat
your personal worst or whatever.

Any answer I gave would be a guess.

But be fair... most people would see your setting up of your "device" to
record what you say it records as... at the least... odd.

Just imagine your own reaction if drivers were in the habit of doing the
same thing, always trying to beat their own personal worst.

(The only logical outcome for the fantasists would be for cyclists to be
banned from carrying anything capable of displaying or recording time or any
other information that allows time to be deduced. Furthermore they must not
look at the clock on the mantlepiece or village hall wall immediately before
or after the journey.)

But that's a bit different from having your bike rigged up specially for
recording how long a known journey takes/took, isn't it?
Old October 25th 13, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Friday, 25 October 2013 14:47:34 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

Just imagine your own reaction if drivers were in the habit of doing the
same thing, always trying to beat their own personal worst.

I used to work for a company with offices throughout Wales, some staff used to brag about how fast they could drive between them.

Injured cyclist airlifted from Annadel State Park Mike Vandeman[_4_] Mountain Biking 0 June 3rd 12 06:49 PM
Exmoor Beauty news Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 74 April 28th 12 10:23 AM
best way to get to Exmoor Adam Lea[_2_] UK 2 June 30th 08 09:09 PM
Exmoor and thereabouts D.M. Procida UK 6 August 19th 07 11:35 PM
Racing cyclist deaths [email protected] Racing 2 September 5th 05 07:06 PM