Cyclists waste petrol

Old October 3rd 18, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 06:49:30 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 10/02/2018 04:51 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:37:49 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/30/2018 11:08 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Yes. Generally called spark plug wires in this country. They may be a
thing of the past. My Toyota doesn't have any but I don't know how
common that is.

It will, but they're concealed in one tube.

No concealment on the Toyota. It has Coil-on-Plug ignition.

https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/to...nition-coils-1

Why do they tend to put the coils on the plugs now instead of having
one big coil?

Because it works better not distributing the high voltage thru the
distributor.
And because it works better with modern computer controlled engines.

This should be fun, explaining it to someone who by their own admission
hasn't a clue of how an IC engine works...

Yeah, bet he doesn't even know what a distributor does.

My first car was a Rover, with the distributor mounted just behind the front wheelarch, where it regularly got soaked. I know all about the bloody things.
Old October 3rd 18, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 04:33:07 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 10/02/2018 04:49 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:14:02 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/30/2018 09:13 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 02:11:54 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/29/2018 03:41 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Cost to the customer should dictate ones further away will be less
likely to be bought, so I guess they were different carpets.

Presumably. They were all 12' rolls so I never saw the working side.
Furniture was the same deal. There still are furniture factories in the
south eastern US while most of the furniture I loaded on the west coast
was from Asia.

Other products weren't so easy to rationalize. I don't know about
the UK
but the Sunday papers (when people still read the Sunday papers) have a
lot of colorful advertising brochures and other crap that most people
strip out and use to wrap garbage. I picked up a lot of those in
Boulder
CO to take to Baltimore MD, which is about 1600 miles. Nobody on the
east coast can print useless stuff?

The whole scheme depends on cheap transportation / cheap fuel. Keep
those container ships and trucks rolling!

If your government put as much fuel tax on it as ours did, that wouldn't
be happening. A US gallon of gas here is $6.16 US. How does that
compare to what you pay?

It's been running around $2.97 all summer although I think it's up to
$2.99 now.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/USA

This state has a 27 cents / gallon gasoline tax so it's on the higher
end of the range. Distribution costs play a little part in the price
spread but it's the state and local taxes that make up the bulk of the
difference.

California is the flyer. The tax is 30 cents but because of state laws
they get special, super deluxe, designer blends. Washington has a 45
cent tax which explains their cost. Hawaii is obviously a distribution
problem.

Ours is an 80p per LITRE tax. If yours is still that expensive with so
little tax, you must VERY expensive gas before tax.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...und-the-world/

But after tax... Distribution costs also factor in. As you've pointed
out you could drop Great Britain in the northeast corner of this state
where there's nothing but a few Indians and prairie dogs.

The point is that BEFORE tax, our gas is WAY cheaper than yours. Don't you have your own oil over there?
Old October 3rd 18, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 03:59:04 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 10/02/2018 04:47 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:26:26 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/30/2018 10:00 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 03:12:20 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/10/2018 12:53 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Are your roads littered with speed bumps? I go over perhaps 200 a
day.

That cinches it. No trip to the UK for me. Some of our dirt roads have
speed bumps, aka small boulders, but I've never seen them other than on
private roads.

Round here they put them in the stupidest of places, for example 10
yards from a junction, where nobody could possibly be speeding anyway.

And apparently they cost £10,000 each to install including paperwork.

We have various 'traffic calming' schemes like roundabouts and bulbouts
but speed bumps would really **** off the snowplow crews to say nothing
of the cops.

Even some of the semi-private areas are getting rid of them. I hit one
of the damn things on my bicycle. The sun was in my eyes and I didn't
see it coming so I taco'd my front wheel and did a face plant. I was not
happy.

You should have attempted to sue the council (or whatever you call them
over there). Causing injury to a cyclist can't be allowed surely?

I'm not big on lawyers... The counter would be that I was on private
property.

I thought all Merkins liked lawyers.
Old October 3rd 18, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 03:49:03 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 10/02/2018 04:44 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:27:05 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 05:45:16 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 01:08 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I really ****ed off a horserider once. I was driving a very old Range
Rover automatic which had a conversion to LPG. It very often
misfired,
made loud bangs, and changed gear without warning. I managed to
cause a
small explosion and a loud revving of the engine just as I passed a
horserider coming the other way along a narrow country road. The
horse
**** itself, and so did the rider.

I did better than that... I was coming down a narrow road that went
past
a dude ranch on my Harley. Coming the other was was a herd of dudes on
their docile refugees from a canning factory led by a genuine wild west
cowboy. ****head's horse had a nervous breakdown while the guests' nags
barely roused from their stupor.

it doesn't take much to set them off. I've worked with horses enough to
know most of them are a neurotic bundle of nerves. If the horse can't
handle public roads, trailer it to a nice quiet horse trail someplace.

Indeed. Horses on roads were fine, before the invention of the motor
car.

They weren't actually, lots got killed by them bolting etc.

They're not the brightest of animals.

A common description around here is a cowboy is the third dumbest
critter riding the second dumbest and chasing the first dumbest.

I would agree with that statement.
Old October 3rd 18, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 20:12:18 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 17:12:09 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Ours are low enough so that trucks and vans
can just drive over them, with a shallow curb so
they don't even have to slow down to do that.

The larger ones have a concrete apron for that purpose.
The tiny ones were constructed without thinking that
something like a moving van might need to navigate them.

Ours are fine for that, those and semis can drive right
over them as if they arent there. There is nothing but
concrete in the middle. Can't actually find a street
view of one, our street view is 8 years old now.

Many drivers haven't figured out how they work yet. We have
many four way stops where people take turns in an orderly fashion.

We don't have any of those, one of the two roads at that
intersection always has giveway signs on one of the roads.

They tend to take roundabouts the same, stopping before
entering even if the way is clear, which defeats the purpose.

We don't see that at all, presumably because we don't have
any intersections which don't have giveways on one road.

Some of our chicanes/bulbouts have bollards on them to stop people doing
that, but people have discovered they're just hollow plastic and driven
straight through them, smashing the stupid things to pieces.

We do have some of those, mostly to stop people driving along the
footpaths in the big parks, but they are solid concrete so no one
tries to take them out.

Down in England they criminally damage cars with automatic raising
bollards, should you dare to use a bus lane.

We don't have any of those, but I spose its one way to enforce
bus only lanes. Not sure we have too many bus only lanes tho.

Old October 3rd 18, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 15:14:11 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 10/02/2018 11:47 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Ours are low enough so that trucks and vans can
just drive of them, with a shallow curb so they
don't even have to slow down to do that.

The larger ones have a concrete apron for that purpose. The tiny ones
were constructed without thinking that something like a moving van
might
need to navigate them.

Many drivers haven't figured out how they work yet. We have many four
way stops where people take turns in an orderly fashion. They tend to
take roundabouts the same, stopping before entering even if the way is
clear, which defeats the purpose.

There's a street near here with literally THIRTY speedbumps, and I mean
the big full length ones right across the road. Even driving at the
speed
limit in a car, you get jolted about and a lot of cars (including almost
new ones) scrape their undersides. I watched a bus go along the street,
and the driver was very annoyed, he was accelerating then braking for
each
one, and all the passengers were being jolted everywhere. An ambulance
would take an extra 5 minutes to get along the street.

Give us a street view.

And before you say it, yes, it's a council estate road. I do not live in
that town, but the next one.
https://goo.gl/maps/j9XZkfojkhM2
And me driving along it at 20mph, the legal limit:
https://youtu.be/4rTu0jVTCK8

Yeah, that one does have a stupid number them. Tho
I spose their argument is that with no driveways to park
in, and lots of little kids living there, there is a high risk
of kids running out between cars after a ball or dog etc.

I sent that video to the council and told them the bumps were
unacceptable. They actually phoned me to tell me I shouldn't be driving
at 20 in a 20 zone! I told them to change the speed limit signs to 10 to
match the bumps and they said they weren't allowed, I burst out laughing.

Yeah, they are clearly using the speed humps to enforce
a speed limit the stupid system doesn't allow them to have.

The worst of ours is down the main street and that's only got about 5 and
no one scrapes going over them and you don't have to slow down that much
only to say 20Kmph

That's ridiculously slow, less than any speed limit we have in the UK.

That isnt the speed limit, its 50Kmph there, just the speed
you need to go at to go over the speed hump. You can't
go over any of ours at the speed limit where they are.

and the traffic isnt going at the legal 50 there anyway except at say 6am
etc.

You're saying you have to slow to 20 in a 50 zone?

Yep.

Then like ours, the bumps do not match the legal limit.

They arent meant to.

Again, the street view is to old to show any of them.

Our street views seem to be very up to date, only a year or 2 old,

Yeah, much more recent than ours. I did see the street view car
back in Feb but for some reason it hasn't been updated yet.

I did wonder if it was in fact someone else's, not google's,
but I cant think of anyone else it was likely to be.

same for the satellite images.

Ours are 2018. The street view is 2010

Old October 3rd 18, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 20:02:44 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 00:01:14 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:26:26 +0100, rbowman

wrote:

[...]

I hope I one day catch an old lady tripping over one on my dashcam.
I've
seen it happen before, a pensioner crosses the road and trips on the
stupid thing. But I need proof.

Further north, they have bollards on the narrowing things (we call
them
chicanes,

Nope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicane

I assume that's what you refer to as a bulbout).

Nope
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_extension

We seem to have halfway between.

Give us a street view of one of them.

https://goo.gl/maps/FNZFcdeR8J32

Yeah, we don't have any with bollards and our curb extensions
arent the same height as the normal curb, they are in fact massive
great chunks of concrete on the road that you can't drive over.
https://goo.gl/maps/iNph6a7699w

I reported this to the council too. The priority sign (to tell which side
to wait for the other) requires you to stop when going downhill, just
after a blind bend, very dangerous in the winter. Then there's a
pedestrian stood on the sticky out bit ready to be flattened by a sliding
bus. When I suggested they reverse the priorities, they told me they
didn't want to inconvenience people by having them do a hill start. When
I suggested that everyone learns to do a hillstart in their driving test,
I got no further replies.

They mean that pedestrians are stood directly in front of oncoming
traffic which has to swerve round them.

Ours have massive concrete things on the road
which means that no one ever drives there.
https://goo.gl/maps/HGqk3Uqxfns

They don't look that big,

This one is much bigger.
https://goo.gl/maps/iNph6a7699w

and they seem to have slopes on the edge so you could go over them easily,

No you can't at the speed limit.

much like ours:
https://goo.gl/maps/2bvfpSJk3192
I just drive straight over those.

Yeah, but yours are the same height as the footpath.
Ours arent, they are much higher.

I once parked quite close to one (for about 5 minutes), requiring passing
cars to mount one of the lumps. Some idiot got out and complained he
couldn't get through. I asked him why he was driving a car without
suspension then walked off. He eventually drove over it very carefully.

A monumentally stupid idea.

Sounds like it.

Councils have way too much money to spend. At least our Conservative
party is reducing their funding, but not by anywhere near enough.

Ours decide for themselves how much they will raise in
rates and only have a limit imposed by the state govt on
how much they can raise the rates by in a particular year.

And they drove a full aircraft carrier battle group thru that
purported limit by separating the charge for water and
sewerage from the rates and ended up doubling the
total charge for a residential property in just one year.

Old October 3rd 18, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 19:57:36 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 06:47:20 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

https://missoulian.com/news/local/bi...cc4c03286.html

These are the worst of both. The theory is pedestrians will be out in
the
street, visible, and have a shorter path.

Yeah, we have those outside one of our primary/grade schools.

They suck for bicycles since you're forced out in the traffic lane,
and
are difficult for trucks and buses to navigate.

There are also micro-roundabouts. Basically you take a 4-way
intersection
of residential streets, build a little round island in the middle,

Yeah, we have lots of those.

and plant flowers.

Nothing in the middle with ours, only with the big ones.

The first moving van in the area runs over the thing since it's
impossible
to navigate around it with anything bigger than a mini-van.

Ours are low enough so that trucks and vans can
just drive of them, with a shallow curb so they
don't even have to slow down to do that.

I drive over a lot of them with my car.

I don't, but that's because I don't want to lose more demerit
points and have to walk instead of drive. Its easy enough to
stay on the road itself and I mostly don't go straight thru
most of our smallest roundabouts anyway.

Howe many ****ing pigs do you have?

Heaps. Must be something like 30 in my town which has a population of 30K

Got breath tested twice last weekend on the saturday morning after
the garage sale run. The were 4 cop cars with about 10 pigs at the
first one and just the one with just one pig at the second one. That
was a long weekend here tho, and double demerits for 5 days.

With the run over to the Henty Machinery Field Days a week
or so before, saw 5 cop cars booking people going to that.

They all have full time radar in their cars and that works
whether they are moving or not. And they all do ANR too.

Not sure if I damage the suspension more doing that than I would damage
the steering by swerving round the ****ing things.

No need to swerve and that doesn't damage the steering anyway.

At the speed I travel, it's called swerving.

But the main thing is I damage the stupid thing on the road.

Doesn't damage ours, even when you drive over
it with a fully loaded semi what you lot call an HGV.

It does eventually. Many tonnes of steel creating quite a shock load over
and over again.

Not when the concrete is done properly.
None of ours have ever needed to be replaced.

Where lots of people have done it, they sink due to all the knocks they
get.

Ours don't. Unfortunately all our smallest roundabouts have
been done since our last street view so I can't show you easily.

Perhaps having dryer ground things don't sink so much.

They don't sink at all.

You can see here they've already repatched the area around them, and it's
cracking again after only 2 years:
https://goo.gl/maps/6xi5vut42yB2

That's not the smallest roundabouts, that's speed humps.

I can't see the bolts on those, but some have visible bolts, and sometimes
people come out at night and steal them :-) Funny to see a road with half
of them uprooted.

We don't have many like that, just the one road with
3 sets of them. No one has ever removed any of those.

Old October 3rd 18, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Peeler[_2_]

Default Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 07:30:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

We don't have

There's absolutely NO "we" for you, you lonely senile Ozzie cretin! That's
why you get up every morning between ONE and FOUR o'clock in Australia just
to be able to talk to someone on Usenet! You are disgusting!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Old October 3rd 18, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Peeler[_2_]

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 07:50:34 +1000, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Ours

There's NO "ours" for you, you lonely senile Ozzie cretin! That's why you
get up every morning between ONE and FOUR o'clock in Australia just to be
able to talk to someone on Usenet! You are disgusting!

little ignorant ****."
MID:

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 11:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 09:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 18th 07 12:30 AM