Thinking Of Folding...

Old February 2nd 08, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Default Thinking Of Folding...

I just can't play JTo in this position.

No, seriously, a folder. I have a second diamond frame bike that I
don't use that much and takes up too much room, and is only used for
small jaunts, and, critically, needs a lot replacing in one hit. A
folder would be the obvious solution, but which one?

Criteria.

Gears 3 isn't going to be enough.
Wheels Larger would be better.
Folding Would prefer the Brompton 'in plane' style fold.
Size Not so critical. Obviously folding to a package larger
than the thing it replaces is bad.
Commute Style I.e. Mudguards/Rack/Integral lighting (i.e dynamo)
Weight Not really an issue.
Components Higher end. E.g. I don't like Brommie brake levers!
Price I'd be sweating at 500 squids. But might go more.

Without prejudice, the Bike Friday TIkit, looks nice. Quick fold,
derailuer gears. The Dahon Mu P8 is very cheap. The Birdy. Airnimal
Air Joey? Brommie 6-Speed?

HELP!! The choice is just too much?

Bugger. Pashleys, they look nice as well...what about Pacific Reach....
Old February 2nd 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roos Eisma

Tosspot writes:

Gears 3 isn't going to be enough.
Wheels Larger would be better.

I read this first as:

Wheels 3 isn't going to be enough.

Sometimes life is a lot less interesting when you read things properly

Roos
Old February 2nd 08, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

I've got a Dahon Jetstream P8 www.dahon.com/archive/2007/us/jetstreamp8
which I got off ebay new for under 400 quid. Think that with a Carridice
SQR tour bag www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddlepacks/sqr-tour it will do most
of what you want.

SW

Old February 2nd 08, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

Try http://www.dahon.com/archive/2007/us/jetstreamp8.htm

Old February 2nd 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Tosspot wrote:

I just can't play JTo in this position.

No, seriously, a folder. I have a second diamond frame bike that I
don't use that much and takes up too much room, and is only used for
small jaunts, and, critically, needs a lot replacing in one hit. A
folder would be the obvious solution, but which one?

Criteria.

Gears 3 isn't going to be enough.
Wheels Larger would be better.
Folding Would prefer the Brompton 'in plane' style fold.
Size Not so critical. Obviously folding to a package larger
than the thing it replaces is bad.
Commute Style I.e. Mudguards/Rack/Integral lighting (i.e dynamo)
Weight Not really an issue.
Components Higher end. E.g. I don't like Brommie brake levers!
Price I'd be sweating at 500 squids. But might go more.

You'd better like a sauna if you want a Birdy! I don't think they are
giving much if any change from a grand these days.

HELP!! The choice is just too much?

I think the best thing is to go and play with some in Bath. Take
TOWMBO out for a trip to the sights whilst you go he
http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/index.html

Old February 2nd 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sam Salt

Tosspot wrote:

[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080201-1, 01/02/2008
Tested on: 02/02/2008 15:51:33

There is a review of the Bike Friday Tikit in the latest A to B
mag.Comes out rather well but is a bit dearer than your £500 and as it
is a new model there won't be any second hand ones about.

If you want a copy of the review drop me a PM and I will send it on.

Sam Salt

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080201-1, 01/02/2008
Tested on: 02/02/2008 15:53:33

Old February 3rd 08, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Erik Sandblom

Den 2008-02-02 08:33:14 skrev Tosspot :

Components Higher end. E.g. I don't like Brommie brake levers!

These can be replaced... I love Bromptons, everybody should have one.

But if a small fold isn't really important, what about keeping your
diamond frame bike and fitting it with folding pedals and a
swivelling/folding handlebar? It would fit flat against the wall. I think
Burrows does a bike like that, and there was one from Belgium/Netherlands
a while back in VeloVision. You can also get click-off pedals instead of
folding pedals.

http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/accessories_pedals.htm

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies
Old February 3rd 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Erik Sandblom wrote:
Den 2008-02-02 08:33:14 skrev Tosspot :

Components Higher end. E.g. I don't like Brommie brake levers!

These can be replaced... I love Bromptons, everybody should have one.

But if a small fold isn't really important, what about keeping your
diamond frame bike and fitting it with folding pedals and a
swivelling/folding handlebar? It would fit flat against the wall. I
think Burrows does a bike like that, and there was one from
Belgium/Netherlands a while back in VeloVision. You can also get
click-off pedals instead of folding pedals.

http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/accessories_pedals.htm

No! No! I won't listen to you! LalaLala I've decided on a folder and
that's it!

I've pretty much gone off the Brommie because of the lack of gears, the
BikeFriday is rising to the top on wankworthiness. There's a few
Birdies and Dahons at work, so I'll cadge a go on them during the week.

I've got me credit card juices running and the BF site is running like a
dog. Bah!

Folding Bike Fastest Folding Time Video SMS General 2 August 18th 07 10:22 AM
Folding Bike Fastest Folding Time Video SMS Techniques 2 August 18th 07 10:22 AM
Folding/removable SPD-compatible pedals for folding bikes? Alan Hoyle General 1 April 25th 07 03:22 PM
Folding non folding tyres Hbunnet UK 5 January 16th 07 01:06 AM
Folding non-folding tyres [email protected] UK 8 June 28th 06 01:23 AM