Chain skip

Old February 5th 08, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dannyfrankszzz[_18_]

Default Chain skip

About six weeks ago, I noticed my chain was skipping and so I replaced
it. However, as a result the chain skip got worse - yes, I then learnt
that I should have changed the cassette too, which I did.

So, problem solved...until now where the same problem has recurred.
Seeing as I only ride about 50 miles a week, it's too soon for chain
stretch to settle in already.

I then thought that the problem might be because of my large chain ring
being overworn and that it neeeded to be changed. However, the problem
still seems to occur on the middle chainring too, which I use far less.

So, I think the problem could simply be that the chain is too long and
so I should remove a link.

Does that sound right?

--
dannyfrankszzz

Old February 5th 08, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
About six weeks ago, I noticed my chain was skipping and so I replaced
it. However, as a result the chain skip got worse - yes, I then
learnt that I should have changed the cassette too, which I did.

So, problem solved...until now where the same problem has recurred.
Seeing as I only ride about 50 miles a week, it's too soon for chain
stretch to settle in already.

I then thought that the problem might be because of my large chain
ring being overworn and that it neeeded to be changed. However, the
problem still seems to occur on the middle chainring too, which I use
far less.

Even thouh you use it less, it is possible that it's equally worn since it's
smaller.

So, I think the problem could simply be that the chain is too long and
so I should remove a link.

Have the chain as short as reasonably possible to work with the largest
chainring and largest rear sprocket combination (even if you normally avoid
that combo).

Also check for stiff links.

~PB

Old February 6th 08, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilD

On Feb 5, 10:18*pm, dannyfrankszzz dannyfrankszzz.34b...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
So, I think the problem could simply be that the chain is too long and
so I should remove a link.

Your deraileur arm should sort that out without you having to fiddle
with individual links, provided that the chain isn't way too long in
the first place.

Check that on the combinations of *smallest* gear rings the deraileur
arm isn't pulling back so far that the chain is touching itself as it
threads through the gubbins.

PhilD

Old February 6th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

dannyfrankszzz writtificated

So, problem solved...until now where the same problem has recurred.
Seeing as I only ride about 50 miles a week, it's too soon for chain
stretch to settle in already.

As well as wot the others said, lubing a dirty chain is a great way to wear
'em out *really* fast (tho I don't think it would wear fast enough to skip
in 300 miles). Running a new chain on worn sprockets/chainrings will also
wear it out faster. Also, the gears could need adjusting (or the cables
could be in need of replacement).
Old February 6th 08, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

On 5 Feb, 22:18, dannyfrankszzz dannyfrankszzz.34b...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
About six weeks ago, I noticed my chain was skipping and so I replaced
it. However, as a result the chain skip got worse - yes, I then learnt
that I should have changed the cassette too, which I did.

So, problem solved...until now where the same problem has recurred.
Seeing as I only ride about 50 miles a week, it's too soon for chain
stretch to settle in already.

I then thought that the problem might be because of my large chain ring
being overworn and that it neeeded to be changed. However, the problem
still seems to occur on the middle chainring too, which I use far less.

So, I think the problem could simply be that the chain is too long and
so I should remove a link.

Does that sound right?

--
dannyfrankszzz

Long shot, but if you are using a Wippermann Connex 808 chain with a
power link, then I've found that the chain will skip on the smallest
ring if the power link is the 'wrong' way around..... I will be
buying a SRAM chain next time
Old February 6th 08, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 6 Feb, 10:28, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:

As well as wot the others said, lubing a dirty chain is a great way to wear
'em out *really* fast (tho I don't think it would wear fast enough to skip
in 300 miles). *Running a new chain on worn sprockets/chainrings will also
wear it out faster. *Also, the gears could need adjusting (or the cables
could be in need of replacement).

The chain and chainrings of my 16-year-old MTB were already *really*
worn out a year ago, but I figured as they'd all need replacing
anyway, I might as well get as much use out of them as I could. 3,000
miles later it's still going strong and not a hint of chain skip
unless I really abuse it by pedalling hard while changing gear. I've
got a new bike coming next week, so no doubt it'll finally break
within the next day or two!

Old February 6th 08, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_2_]

squeaker wrote:
Long shot, but if you are using a Wippermann Connex 808 chain with a
power link, then I've found that the chain will skip on the smallest
ring if the power link is the 'wrong' way around.....

I think the instructions in the box mention this installation detail :-)

I will be buying a SRAM chain next time

Fine for 7/8/9 speed.
But at 10 speed, Connex are re-usable links, SRAM are one-shot only.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old February 6th 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 6 Feb, 14:51, "Nigel Cliffe" wrote:
squeaker wrote:
Long shot, but if you are using a Wippermann Connex 808 chain with a
power link, then I've found that the chain will skip on the smallest
ring if the power link is the 'wrong' way around.....

I think the instructions in the box mention this installation detail :-)

I will be buying a SRAM chain next time

Fine for 7/8/9 speed.
But at 10 speed, Connex are re-usable links, SRAM are one-shot only.

- Nigel

Do 7/8/9 speed SRAM power links have a wrong way round or is this a 10
speed or Connex thing?
Old February 6th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

POHB said the following on 06/02/2008 15:24:

Do 7/8/9 speed SRAM power links have a wrong way round or is this a 10
speed or Connex thing?

The two halves of the 7/8/9 SRAM powerlink are identical, so they'll fit
either way round.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 6th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_2_]

squeaker wrote:
Long shot, but if you are using a Wippermann Connex 808 chain with a
power link, then I've found that the chain will skip on the smallest
ring if the power link is the 'wrong' way around.....

I think the instructions in the box mention this installation detail
:-)

I will be buying a SRAM chain next time

Fine for 7/8/9 speed.
But at 10 speed, Connex are re-usable links, SRAM are one-shot only.

Do 7/8/9 speed SRAM power links have a wrong way round or is this a 10
speed or Connex thing?

Its a Connex thing. The two halves of the link are identical. But, the link
side-plate is curved, and one needs to assemble the link so the curve rides
the correct way around a sprocket. Its not complicated !

So, on 7,8,9, SRAM is a tad simpler. But its not hard to spot "up" and
"down" on a Connex.

If you have a 10-speed bike, Connex is the only reusable option.

- Nigel