spoke count- MTB vs Road?

Old August 9th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
res09c5t

Default spoke count- MTB vs Road?

Hi all,
I'm a roadie who's thinking about building a mountain bike. I'm a bit of a
Clydesdale, about 6'3" and 220 lbs. On my road bike, I use 36 spoke, 3x
cross wheels that I built using Mavic CXP33 rims and a double-butted spoke-
don't remember offhand which one. As I look at mountain bikes, it seems
like the standard is 32 spoke and I don't hear about a lot of wheel issues.
Are there some underlying reasons like stronger rims, maybe the wider rear
axle requiring less dishing, or the diameter being a little smaller that let
the lower counts work since it seems like MTB wheels would get a lot more
abuse? I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that a well-done set of 32
spoke wheels will be ok for me or a recommendation that I should be looking
for 36 spoke wheels.

Thanks!
Lyle

Old August 9th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

res09c5t wrote:
[...]

It's the smaller wheel size that's normally used as justification, but
if I were you I'd go for the 36 spoke option. The weight difference is
negligible and the (factory-built) 32 spoke wheels I used when I did a
lot of mountain biking never stayed very true.

For real piece of mind, MTB hubs are available with 48 holes - they need
to be built up x4.
Old August 9th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per res09c5t:
Are there some underlying reasons like stronger rims, maybe the wider rear
axle requiring less dishing, or the diameter being a little smaller that let
the lower counts work since it seems like MTB wheels would get a lot more
abuse? I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that a well-done set of 32
spoke wheels will be ok for me or a recommendation that I should be looking
for 36 spoke wheels.

I'm about 215. Been beating on my wheel sets for way over 5
years now. I'm not at all skilled or daring as a rider, but I
probably make up for that wheel-stress-wise by sheer clumsiness.

Only problems I've had are with an original set where the rear
wheel was done on a rim which eventually started cracking around
the nipple eyelets.

That make/model rim has held up fine for front wheel use, but for
rear wheel use I now use rims with double eyelets (or whatever
the term of art is...).
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 9th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

It's the smaller wheel size that's normally used as justification, but if
I were you I'd go for the 36 spoke option. The weight difference is
negligible and the (factory-built) 32 spoke wheels I used when I did a lot
of mountain biking never stayed very true.

For real piece of mind, MTB hubs are available with 48 holes - they need
to be built up x4.

TBH I'd stick with 36 - that's what we've got on the MTB tandem, and that's
fine so far.

cheers,
clive

Old August 9th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
wizardB

res09c5t wrote:
[...]

I'm 6'4" 235lbs I use 32 spoke wheels on all my bikes free ride and XC
just make sure to use a 14 gauge spoke and a good quality hub also I
find that Mavic rims take the abuse better then their brethren.

Old August 10th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Fred" wrote in message

For real piece of mind, MTB hubs are available with 48 holes - they need
to be built up x4.

Why not 3X?

4x on 48H gives you the spokes coming out of the hub at the same angle as 3x
with 36H.

Old August 10th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

wizardB wrote:

I'm 6'4" 235lbs I use 32 spoke wheels on all my bikes free ride and XC
just make sure to use a 14 gauge spoke and a good quality hub also I
find that Mavic rims take the abuse better then their brethren.

Double-butted spokes will usually "take abuse" much better than plain
gauge ones. They're not just for weight saving; they put a bit of
stretch into the spoke at a point where it rarely breaks and doesn't
need to be thick anyway. The hub is irrelevant, unless we're talking
about Sturmey-Archer hubs with thin steel flanges which tend to break
spokes at the elbow, but you won't be using one of those ;-)

The wheel build is the most important factor.
Old August 10th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Aug 9, 10:58*am, "res09c5t" wrote:
[...]

Shorter spokes, heavier rim, big fat tire. BUT easy to find 36h MTB
hubs and rims, don't let MO or a bike shop say they aren't available,
cuz they are. 4 spokes make for a stronger wheel, all else being
equal. NO reason to not use 36 spokes.
Old August 10th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

As a "clydesdale" your better choice would be 36 spokes. You might be
able to get away with 32 IF it's a full suspension frame w/good travel
(the suspension has a long way to go before bottoming out)

I usually ride 36 on my road tourer (I'm no clydesdale, not at 165-170),
and I was worries when I got my new MTB and it had 32 spoke wheels
(radial on the front) But I haven't broken anything yet.

Although I don't ride like those "nuts" on ESPN either... ;-3)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

trials crank length/spoke count tim williamson Unicycling 34 March 19th 08 02:09 AM
Spoke count VeloJon Techniques 38 August 8th 07 01:02 PM
Low and high spoke-count wheel [email protected] Techniques 1 June 19th 07 08:40 AM
Aero rims and spoke count [email protected] Techniques 52 December 10th 06 09:29 PM
Deep-V Spoke Count mykal Techniques 13 June 25th 05 03:02 PM