Mountain biker seriously injured

Old August 24th 09, 06:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain biker seriously injured

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...nd/8218546.stm

Mountain biker seriously injured

The injured man was airlifted to hospital from the Dalbeattie forest
trail to Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary

A mountain biker has been airlifted to hospital after crashing on a
trail in the south west of Scotland.

The accident occurred on the 7Stanes route at Dalbeattie Forest in
Dumfries and Galloway at about 1100 BST.

Friends treated the man - who had serious head and neck injuries -
before emergency services arrived.

Due to the difficulty in accessing the area by road a Royal Navy Sea
King helicopter was scrambled to take the injured man to Dumfries
Infirmary.

A Scottish Ambulance Services spokesman said: "The place where the
accident took place was deep in the forest near Kippford Caravan
Site.

"Our ambulance was not able to negotiate the rough tracks and to speed
up the rescue operation we called in a Sea King helicopter as our own
air ambulance was on another call at the time."

The injured man has not been identified.

The Dalbeattie mountain bike trail is one of seven linked tracks
operated across the south of Scotland.
Old August 24th 09, 07:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Paul O

Mike Vandeman wrote, On 8/24/2009 1:32 PM:
[...]

And your point is?

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old August 24th 09, 08:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Paul O" wrote in message
[...]

Well, DUH! The health benefits are seriously overblown. Don't you pay any
attention to Vandekook at all?

He once posted a story of a mountain biker that died on his sofa under a
pile of pizza suffering from a heart attack, and asserted that the mountain
biking played a role in his death.

Old August 24th 09, 08:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
sally

Why does MV keep posting this stuff? Is it because bicycle injuries are so
rare? I see newspaper articles about hikers being killed almost every week.
And I won't even get into those 3 that were arrested in Iran.
Old August 24th 09, 10:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Paul O

Jeff Strickland wrote, On 8/24/2009 3:12 PM:
"Paul O" wrote in message

snip

Well, DUH! The health benefits are seriously overblown. Don't you pay any
attention to Vandekook at all?

He once posted a story of a mountain biker that died on his sofa under a
pile of pizza suffering from a heart attack, and asserted that the mountain
biking played a role in his death.

I would have suspected that the poor guy died of suffocation if the pile
of pizza was deep enough... ;-)

Old August 24th 09, 10:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Paul O wrote:
Mike Vandeman wrote, On 8/24/2009 1:32 PM:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...nd/8218546.stm

And your point is?

Pronounced on top of his mellon-shaped head.

Old August 24th 09, 11:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Paul O" wrote in message
Jeff Strickland wrote, On 8/24/2009 3:12 PM:
"Paul O" wrote in message

snip

Well, DUH! The health benefits are seriously overblown. Don't you pay any
attention to Vandekook at all?

He once posted a story of a mountain biker that died on his sofa under a
pile of pizza suffering from a heart attack, and asserted that the
mountain biking played a role in his death.

I would have suspected that the poor guy died of suffocation if the pile
of pizza was deep enough... ;-)

Sorry I confused you, I mis-spoke. It was a pile of pizza crust, he'd
already eaten the pizza. His mountain-biker buddies held a party for him at
Two for Tuesday night at the pizza place near his house.

Old August 25th 09, 05:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...otland/8218546...

[...]

Ask your mommie to explain it to you.

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)- Hide quoted text -

Old August 26th 09, 04:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
pmh

On Aug 25, 12:02*am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Aug 24, 11:01*am, Paul O wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote, On 8/24/2009 1:32 PM:

Ask your mommie to explain it to you.

At least he has a mommie to explain things. And you ? . . .? . . ?
Old September 1st 09, 01:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Eugene Miya

In article ,
sally wrote:
Why does MV keep posting this stuff?

Naw he does it for the attention.

Many people theorize motivation. He sets the news groups to a very peculiar
sent of marginally relevant news groups and avoiding others, far more
serious. I think he does it for the environmental attention, to make
his mark (which is a pretty minor issue).
Others think he is a motorcyclist attempting to distract stuff like this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...10536&t=h&z=16

That is erosion. But it's still fairly minor.

I know the motorcyclists (dirt bikers) in r.b. laugh and grin behind the
scenes, because he distracts others away from they are doing to MB.

Is it because bicycle injuries are so rare? I see newspaper articles about
hikers being killed almost every week.

And I won't even get into those 3 that were arrested in Iran.

Very interesting case those guys.....
Must not be able to read a map.
Common.

--