When do blinking lights become just plain annoying?

Old April 3rd 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JoeRiel

Default When do blinking lights become just plain annoying?

Hi Carl,

It's been awhile. My ISP no longer provides usenet, so I'm going through google, which is a bit of a pain.
Old April 3rd 11, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 3, 11:06*am, JoeRiel wrote:
Hi Carl,

It's been awhile. My ISP no longer provides usenet, so I'm going through google, which is a bit of a pain.

Google Groups gets better after a while. Or rather, you get used to
it.

And you're right on the zeners, of course, so: My mistake. I've
certainly gotten that right often enough before (including when I've
installed them myself).

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 3rd 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

http://eternal-september.org/

Old April 4th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:06Â*am, JoeRiel wrote:
Hi Carl,

It's been awhile. My ISP no longer provides usenet, so I'm going through google, which is a bit of a pain.

Google Groups gets better after a while. Or rather, you get used to
it.

I do not get used to it.
That is because I do not
use it, and resent the malformed
messages Google dumps on usenet.

--
Michael Press
Old April 4th 11, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:06 am, JoeRiel wrote:
Hi Carl,

It's been awhile. My ISP no longer provides usenet, so I'm going
through google, which is a bit of a pain.

Google Groups gets better after a while. Or rather, you get used to
it.

I do not get used to it.
That is because I do not
use it, and resent the malformed
messages Google dumps on usenet.

--
Michael Press

Michael,
What tool do you use/recommend for searching news groups?
Thanks,
Kerry

Old April 4th 11, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:06 am, JoeRiel wrote:
Hi Carl,

It's been awhile. My ISP no longer provides usenet, so I'm going
through google, which is a bit of a pain.

Google Groups gets better after a while. Or rather, you get used to
it.

I do not get used to it.
That is because I do not
use it, and resent the malformed
messages Google dumps on usenet.

--
Michael Press

Michael,
What tool do you use/recommend for searching news groups?
Thanks,
Kerry

The more relevant question might be, "what tool do you recommend
for interacting with news groups?" I just signed up for an
eternal-september account and am using it to respond here. With
the emacs gnus reader, my preferred usenet reader, but one I
don't recommend unless you are already an emacs user.

--
Joe Riel
Old April 4th 11, 07:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:06 am, JoeRiel wrote:
Hi Carl,

It's been awhile. My ISP no longer provides usenet, so I'm going
through google, which is a bit of a pain.
Google Groups gets better after a while. Or rather, you get used to
it.
I do not get used to it.
That is because I do not
use it, and resent the malformed
messages Google dumps on usenet.

--
Michael Press

Michael,
What tool do you use/recommend for searching news groups?
Thanks,
Kerry

The more relevant question might be, "what tool do you recommend
for interacting with news groups?"

If that is the question, I'd respond with Thunderbird.

JS.
Old April 4th 11, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Accessing Usenet

Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:06 am, JoeRiel wrote:
Hi Carl,

It's been awhile. My ISP no longer provides usenet, so I'm going
through google, which is a bit of a pain.
Google Groups gets better after a while. Or rather, you get used to
it.
I do not get used to it.
That is because I do not
use it, and resent the malformed
messages Google dumps on usenet.

--
Michael Press
Michael,
What tool do you use/recommend for searching news groups?
Thanks,
Kerry

The more relevant question might be, "what tool do you recommend
for interacting with news groups?"

If that is the question, I'd respond with Thunderbird.

JS.

"How's it sold?
Good and cold!

What's the price?
Thirty twice!"

Oops, wrong Thunderbird.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 4th 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 4/4/2011 1:53 AM, Joe Riel wrote:
"Kerry writes:

"Michael wrote in message
In article
,
Frank wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:06 am, wrote:
[...]

The eterneal-september server acts as a true nntp server so any tool
that interacts with actual news groups should work. I use TBird but
I've also used OE with only a few typical MS related problems. WLM on
the other hand sucks.
Old April 4th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Dear Joe,

I think that Kerry's point is that Google Groups is practically the
only tool for searching RBT and other groups beyond recent posts.

For example, if you want to find what Joe Riel had to say in RBT about
"ground impact speed" for the end of a rod toppling sideways, Google
Groups will find the post with the equations from 2005:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...&sitesear ch=

Few posters will have kept RBT posts going back that far on their own
systems.

Sites like Eternal September carry only the last 90 days or so of
posts from RBT, which would have to be downloaded before searching
with a newsreader.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel