traffic rules are for other people

Old May 15th 17, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default traffic rules are for other people

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3166262

"...vehicle's sirens were on and its lights flashing at the
time of the crash.

Additionally, police said the bicyclist was riding on the
wrong side of the road."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 15th 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 6:03:07 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3166262

"...vehicle's sirens were on and its lights flashing at the
time of the crash.

Additionally, police said the bicyclist was riding on the
wrong side of the road."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew - that very likely isn't a "bicyclist" in the sport sort. More and more people are being forced onto bikes for transportation and homeless people are riding them draped with all sorts of crap.
Old May 15th 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/15/2017 8:12 AM, wrote:
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 6:03:07 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3166262

"...vehicle's sirens were on and its lights flashing at the
time of the crash.

Additionally, police said the bicyclist was riding on the
wrong side of the road."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew - that very likely isn't a "bicyclist" in the sport sort. More and more people are being forced onto bikes for transportation and homeless people are riding them draped with all sorts of crap.

You may well be right on that.

I'm not a snob; a cyclist is a cyclist. There aren't enough
of us bicycle riders all together for a decent schism!

Old May 15th 17, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 12:17:57 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/15/2017 10:36 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
writes:

Andrew - that very likely isn't a "bicyclist" in the
sport sort. More and more people are being forced
onto bikes for transportation and homeless people
are riding them draped with all sorts of crap.

Here, the commune just released a bicycle map in
connection to a bike jippo (I missed it, because
I didn't read the local newspapers for some time).
Apparently there are bike roads all over the city!
I never thought of them. Most of the time people ride
on the streets. Anyway on the flip side of the map are
some rules with penalties should they be offended.
One is the bike should have a bell "that works"!
If not, the fee is 500 SEK ~(57 USD, 44 GBP, 52 EUR).
Pretty meaningless as such misdemeanors are never
enforced anyway...

I remember hearing about the bell requirement before one of our trips to
Europe. I diligently fitted bells to both my bike and my wife's. Can't
remember if I ever used the bell, but certainly nobody ever checked
whether we had one.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Here in Ontario Canada the Law states that all bicycles must have a bell. It's very seldom enforced but will often get added to the list if a bicyclist is stopped for some other infraction such as running a red light, riding on the sidewalk, riding at night without lights and reflectors etcetera. Then the cop if the bicyclist is mouthy will add everything he/she can think of to the list.

Cheers
Old May 15th 17, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 11:17:57 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I remember hearing about the bell requirement before one of our trips to
Europe. I diligently fitted bells to both my bike and my wife's. Can't
remember if I ever used the bell, but certainly nobody ever checked
whether we had one.

I have a bell and compass combination on my touring bike. Compass is great.. I like to know which direction I am riding. Never use the bell except for fun sometimes just to hear it ring. Don't recall if the bell requirement was a law when I rode in Europe. Never saw anyone who wanted to inspect my bike for legality.
Old May 15th 17, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

writes:

[...]

In California we also have a law requiring a bell on all bicycles. I've only seen one bike on our group fitted with one and most shops don't sell them..