Specialized disc brake recall

Old December 11th 03, 02:46 PM
bomba

Default Specialized disc brake recall

Nicked from Geneb in alt.bmx

I'm guessing this should be a general warning not to use 8" discs with
Talas forks...

*** Specialized Announce Recall of Brake Rotors On Mountain Bikes ***

CPSC -- 12/10/2003
The following product safety recall was conducted by the firm in
cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the
product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Specialized mountain bikes

Units: 250

Manufacturer: Specialized Bicycle Components Inc.,
Morgan Hill, Calif.

Hazard: During heavy braking, the brake tabs on the
front forks could break off, possibly causing a loss of
control and fall from the bicycle.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Enduro Expert mountain bikes with 8-inch brake rotors in the front.

Sold At: Authorized Specialized retailers during
September 2004 for between $2,390 and $4,880.

Manufactured In: Taiwan

Remedy: Specialized has agreed to replace the 8-inch brake
rotors on these bikes with 6-inch rotors at no cost to the consumer.
Consumers should stop riding these bikes and return them to an
authorized retailer.

Consumer Contact: For more information, contact Specialized at
(800) 432-4144 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. MT Monday
through Friday.

CC - http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04522.html

Geneb...Wenatchee,Washington-USA
All Things Northwest in BMX!
***** Gene`s BMX *****
http://www.genesbmx.com

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old December 11th 03, 08:02 PM
JD

Using an 8" rotor disc brake on a single crown fork is not wise,
especially on a non-through axle type fork. Add a clydesdale into
that mix and about 300 days a year of riding and you have an endo from
hell in the making.

JD lernt that from a chicken-fat leg dude
Old December 19th 03, 01:52 AM
Gman

This seems to lend credence (at least to me) to
the argument about discs being able to rip the
front wheel out of the forks.

6", 8", whatever, there is obviously a BUNCH of
pressure on the mounting points for the brakes and
the wheel. Maybe with the "lawyer lips" and a
tight skewer, the weak point is now the disc
mount, and without lips the wheel tends to come
out first??? Tough to say, but a little scary
nonetheless.

Old December 19th 03, 02:25 AM
Slacker

Gman wrote:
This seems to lend credence (at least to me) to
the argument about discs being able to rip the
front wheel out of the forks.

6", 8", whatever, there is obviously a BUNCH of
pressure on the mounting points for the brakes and
the wheel. Maybe with the "lawyer lips" and a
tight skewer, the weak point is now the disc
mount, and without lips the wheel tends to come
out first??? Tough to say, but a little scary
nonetheless.

8" rotors with a QR is never a good idea. Few, if any, forks tabs are able
to withstand that much torque for very long.

This is only thing stopping me from slapping on a 8" on my Z1, but my next
fork will be a 20mm. IMHO, QR's have seen their day regarding disc brakes,
6" or 8"; just a matter of time.
--
Slacker