Campus commuter...

Old July 8th 03, 04:39 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default Campus commuter...

Okay so I'm looking to build up or just buy a older, used bike as a campus
commuter. I was thinking that I would either buy a new Yukon or Iguana from
my LBS for $250 or 300, and then just ride that, but what I would really
want to do is build up a Karate Monkey.

My best bet would be to find a mid-level old bike that's all scratched up
and then use airplane remover to strip it down. Maybe strip the entire bike
down to bare alu. I foresee some electrolysis or whatever problems,
especially since I'd be leaving it out in the rain, etc.

What do you suggest?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 8th 03, 05:05 AM
Chris

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message
om...
Okay so I'm looking to build up or just buy a older, used bike as a campus
commuter. I was thinking that I would either buy a new Yukon or Iguana

from
my LBS for $250 or 300, and then just ride that, but what I would really
want to do is build up a Karate Monkey.

My best bet would be to find a mid-level old bike that's all scratched up
and then use airplane remover to strip it down. Maybe strip the entire

bike
down to bare alu. I foresee some electrolysis or whatever problems,
especially since I'd be leaving it out in the rain, etc.

What do you suggest?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Do you have a pile of old parts lying around waiting for a job like this, or
are you starting from scratch?

If you have years' worth of "kit" hanging around, a cool frame like a Karate
Monkey could be an awesome build. If you have to buy most of the parts new,
especially the frame, chances are you're gonna end up with something you're
not going to want to leave locked up around campus.

My current predicament: I built up an old hardtail frame with my extra
parts, but the frame is a Fisher X-caliber (even though Fisher is a naughty
word around here, Easton Program aluminum is nice no matter who scribed the
downtube) and my old parts were pretty nice...so now I have a 24-pound
LX/XT/Avid bike I don't want to leave around U of MD for the Greenbelt
*******s to take from me. I won't have John Morgan's luck, I can tell you
that.

Most thieves won't recognize the Surly name as quality, but fanciness will
stand out. I'm tempted to build up something like the $149 steel Nashbar
(another curse word) frame so I won't feel bad if it's nicked.

Damn, "nicked," "kit," you'd think I'd ever been to Britain before.

Chris

Old July 8th 03, 05:31 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

If you have years' worth of "kit" hanging around, a cool frame like a
Karate
Monkey could be an awesome build. If you have to buy most of the parts

new,
especially the frame, chances are you're gonna end up with something

you're
not going to want to leave locked up around campus.

Good insight. I've got a few parts, but not nearly enough.

Most thieves won't recognize the Surly name as quality, but fanciness will
stand out. I'm tempted to build up something like the $149 steel Nashbar
(another curse word) frame so I won't feel bad if it's nicked.

Ack... yes I thought about a Nashbar or Supergo or Performance frame to
build up.

We have this bike auction every semester, held by the local campus police.
They have lots of sub-walmart bikes (read: Roadmaster), the occasional road
bike gems, and the steady supply of walgooses. Too bad none of them have
replaceable hangars or even remotely horizontal dropouts.

I will probably ask the members of my team if they have some junk lying
around.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 8th 03, 08:56 AM
John Morgan

Okay so I'm looking to build up or just buy a older, used bike as a campus
commuter. I was thinking that I would either buy a new Yukon or Iguana

from
my LBS for $250 or 300, and then just ride that, but what I would really
want to do is build up a Karate Monkey.

What do you suggest?

Put a bid in on that Sunn Exact downhill bike.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=72 9

-John Morgan

Old July 8th 03, 12:04 PM
ctg

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message
om...
Okay so I'm looking to build up or just buy a older, used bike as a campus
commuter. I was thinking that I would either buy a new Yukon or Iguana

from
my LBS for $250 or 300, and then just ride that, but what I would really
want to do is build up a Karate Monkey.

My best bet would be to find a mid-level old bike that's all scratched up
and then use airplane remover to strip it down. Maybe strip the entire

bike
down to bare alu. I foresee some electrolysis or whatever problems,
especially since I'd be leaving it out in the rain, etc.

Why put that much work into something that has a high chance of being
stolen? Get a used bike that looks crap, make sure the moving parts work
well but leave the frame looking bad or make it look bad if it looks ok,
Rust-oleum the whole thing in some nasty color.

Chris

What do you suggest?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 8th 03, 02:28 PM
Andrew Thorne

Okay so I'm looking to build up or just buy a older, used bike as a campus
commuter. I was thinking that I would either buy a new Yukon or Iguana from
my LBS for $250 or 300, and then just ride that, but what I would really
want to do is build up a Karate Monkey.

My best bet would be to find a mid-level old bike that's all scratched up
and then use airplane remover to strip it down. Maybe strip the entire bike
down to bare alu. I foresee some electrolysis or whatever problems,
especially since I'd be leaving it out in the rain, etc.

What do you suggest?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Cheap cheap cheap. You want a tag sale ten speed. Add fenders.

Anything as nice and desirable as a Karate Monkey won't last an hour

If you have your heart set on building one from scratch, and you ride a 19"
frame, give me a shout. I have a Diamondback hybrid frame and fork that's yours
free for the price of shipping.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old July 8th 03, 04:25 PM
J'm Sm'th

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote:

Okay so I'm looking to build up or just buy a older, used bike as a campus
commuter. I was thinking that I would either buy a new Yukon or Iguana from
my LBS for $250 or 300, and then just ride that, but what I would really
want to do is build up a Karate Monkey.

My best bet would be to find a mid-level old bike that's all scratched up
and then use airplane remover to strip it down.

WTF is 'airplane remover'? Stinger missle? Would seriously **** up the frame.
.. .

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes.
....-.-
Old July 8th 03, 04:26 PM
J'm Sm'th

John Morgan wrote:

Okay so I'm looking to build up or just buy a older, used bike as a campus
commuter. I was thinking that I would either buy a new Yukon or Iguana

from
my LBS for $250 or 300, and then just ride that, but what I would really
want to do is build up a Karate Monkey.

What do you suggest?

Put a bid in on that Sunn Exact downhill bike.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=72 9

-John Morgan

Phil, why not bid on the walgoose you had on Ebay?

Old July 8th 03, 10:16 PM
Raymo853

Buy some older MTB that was not used much. Look on bulletin boards around
campus or the various internet sources for your campus. something like a
three year old $400 giant that was not used much by the buyer. Then get
cheap cans of spray paint and paint the whole thing, bars, frame, components
and such. That way it will look ugly enough that nobody will steal it.

Old July 9th 03, 03:41 AM
Slash

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:16:09 -0400, "Raymo853"
scribbled:

Buy some older MTB that was not used much. Look on bulletin boards around
campus or the various internet sources for your campus. something like a
three year old $400 giant that was not used much by the buyer. Then get
cheap cans of spray paint and paint the whole thing, bars, frame, components
and such. That way it will look ugly enough that nobody will steal it.

There was a nice new Huffy that someone posted up on ebay here a
little while back, maybe you could contact the buyer and negotiate
something if it hasn't sold already.

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Commuter Bike Choice igloo General 3 January 9th 04 06:46 AM
is a commuter always a "beater bike"? Jack Murphy General 33 December 15th 03 08:38 AM
Impressed by "Novice" bike commuter MP General 30 October 12th 03 07:31 AM
Commuter Bicycle with fenders, chainguard, rack, etc., Any available in the U.S.? Steven M. Scharf General 3 July 13th 03 04:40 PM