"Comeback of a lifetime - clawed his way back"

Old July 20th 05, 11:19 PM

Mike2 wrote:

The team classification is perhaps not very important going into the event,
but at this point it could well be all they'll have to show for their
efforts at the end of the race.

Vinokourov won a stage.
Ullrich could still make the podium.

It'd surely make the sponsors happy to have a few publicity photos of their
team of "winners."

FFS, don't try to gloat.

T-Mobile, whatever their faults, have been visible in the race
and on TV a lot. Some of the teams have been nearly invisible.

Old July 20th 05, 11:23 PM
Jet

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:21:03 -0700, Mark Janeba
wrote:

I stand corrected. Maybe it's that the movie gives the impression of a
smaller, close-knit team, emphasizing things from Dieter Ruthenberg's
perspective much of the time. Thanks.

From the VeloNews TdF Guide:

T-Mobile 2005 budget: $23.3 million
Discovery channel:$15 million

The figures probably don't tell all there is, but still...

Mark

Then I'd say Team DC is in a good position to ask for a raise, lol.

jj

Old July 21st 05, 12:14 AM
Mike2

" wrote in
oups.com:

Vinokourov won a stage.
Ullrich could still make the podium.

FFS, don't try to gloat.

T-Mobile, whatever their faults, have been visible in the race
and on TV a lot. Some of the teams have been nearly invisible.

Fun with punctuation:

T-Mobile? Whatever! Their faults have been visible in the race and
on TV a lot...

(I'm so, so sorry, just couldn't resist that one. I'm prepared to face
the flames.)

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to gloat. For my part I think winning
the team classification is a real testament to the strength and depth of
the group, and is something a pro cyclist should be proud of. But I was
responding to a post somewhere above that implied that T-M as a team
didn't care about it. And as a team with stong aspirations of reaching
the top step of the podium, perhaps they don't.

But I still think T-M the phone company would like get as much bang for
the advertising dollar (or Euro) as they can. Sure, they've won a single
stage, but so have a number of lower-profile teams (and Vino isn't even
wearing the pink T-M livery). A photo of a victorious team with the
Champs-Elysee in the background would surely look nice in the T-Mobile
promotional materials, wouldn't it?

Old July 21st 05, 12:39 AM
Jack Hollis

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:14:26 -0500, Mike2 wrote:

But I was
responding to a post somewhere above that implied that T-M as a team
didn't care about it. And as a team with stong aspirations of reaching
the top step of the podium, perhaps they don't.

The comments to the press about losing Kloden and a couple of riders
not feeling well could very well translate into, "This team is so
screwed up, no one except Jan really cares anymore."
Old July 21st 05, 01:09 AM
juani

"Jack Hollis" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:14:26 -0500, Mike2 wrote:

But I was
responding to a post somewhere above that implied that T-M as a team
didn't care about it. And as a team with stong aspirations of reaching
the top step of the podium, perhaps they don't.

The comments to the press about losing Kloden and a couple of riders
not feeling well could very well translate into, "This team is so
screwed up, no one except Jan really cares anymore."

In my opinion, it translates into: We don't care about anything but
putting Jan on the podium.

Old July 21st 05, 06:17 AM
Colin Campbell

jet wrote:

Holy crap. What a great win by il Falco! One of the highlights of the last week of the Tour, imo.

jj

That's a pretty safe statement. Stage victories generally make the
highlight reel!

(j/k)

There is a bit left to the last week of the Tour, though.
Old July 21st 05, 06:44 AM
sonarrat

Gary wrote:
Not many riders have wins in both the Giro and TDF this year.

Huh? There are three this year, in fact... Robbie McEwen, Paolo
Savoldelli, and Dave Zabriskie. OTOH, Robbie was the only one to do it
last year, if I have my facts straight.

-Sonarrat.
Old July 21st 05, 11:55 AM
Donald Munro

wrote:
Vinokourov won a stage.
Ullrich could still make the podium.

Ullrich could still win a stage. He looks like he is getting stronger
every day, and the final ITT is coming up.

Old July 21st 05, 12:12 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 07/20/2005 01:05 PM, in article
, "John Forrest Tomlinson"
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:56:25 -0400, wrote:

I feel for T-Mobile. They're come off as a bunch of very sincere,
unpretentious, hard-working guys. If you get a chance catch Höllentour
(
http://imdb.com/title/tt0411498/), and see for yourself. They're certainly
not a big operation like DC,

???? Not a big operation like Discovery Channel? What does that mean?
T-Mobile is a very big budget, sophisticated team operating multiple
program on a large scale, in contention in major classics and tours
with multiple high-level riders..

Being run out of the back of a little bike shop in Belgium.

http://www.fietsengodefroot.be/01.home.aspx

Oddly enough, the bikes featured first and foremost on the website is a
Trek.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old July 21st 05, 12:15 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 07/20/2005 12:56 PM, in article
, "Jet" wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:01:11 GMT, "juani" wrote:

"Jack Hollis" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:45:38 -0400, wrote:

At one point, TMO seemed to take up the challenge, but they seemed to
lose interest. I have no idea why. They're certainly not saving
themselves for anything.

This is the answer:

"Mario Kummer was just interviewed on German TV about what T-Mobile
would do to defend their team classification lead. His answer: nothing.
They are not in a position to do anything about it - Klöden is out,
Kessler and Steinhauser are not feeling well, they simply don't have
the manpower for it."

I feel for T-Mobile. They're come off as a bunch of very sincere,
unpretentious, hard-working guys. If you get a chance catch Höllentour
(
http://imdb.com/title/tt0411498/), and see for yourself. They're certainly
not a big operation like DC, so the highs and lows are more pronounced, I
think. Oh well - that's bike racing.

Available from Amazon.de on DVD (German language with German, French, or
English subtitles):

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006TROAY/

In PAL format, so most of us on the left side of the pond will likely have
to watch it on our computers to not have part of the picture chopped.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

Stealing back my bike Mike Kruger General 3 June 23rd 05 06:49 AM
A Journey to the Birthplace of the Bicycle Simon Brooke UK 3 May 3rd 05 09:19 AM
Journey from the End of the World Simon Brooke UK 3 February 15th 05 08:09 AM
Oh my aching back Grumpy Techniques 19 August 15th 04 11:33 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM