Taya Chain

Old September 6th 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Taya Chain

On 2017-08-30 18:00, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 10:41:49 -0700 (PDT),

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 3:31:55 PM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2017-08-29 14:38,
On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 11:45:45 AM UTC-7,
On 2017-08-29 09:42, sms wrote:
On 8/28/2017 3:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/28/2017 4:28 PM,
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 1:59:20 PM
On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
I replaced the chain that I broke on
Saturday with one I had in my garage that I
must have purchased five to ten years ago.

It has a connecting link and it says "Taya"
on it. It's for 6,7,8 gearing. It seems
okay, but I think that this is the first
time I've used a chain with a connecting
link since childhood. I looked up Taya and
it's a big Taiwanese chain manufacturer.

I still have a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on
my road bike which I bought from a friend as
NOS, for $6 which was the old sticker price
(the sticker had already turned brownish). No
link, mounted with hammer and anvil as usual.
To my utter amazement it doesn't show any
measurable stretch after over 2000mi and
sometimes I really put the coals on because
of our hills. Even the old Wippermann chains
could not rival that. I am very religious
about chain cleaning and lube though.

The old 5-6-7 speed Sachs chains wore out
three days after the bike was junked.

The Sedis (later Sachs-Sedis) material and Delta
hardening process was not only exceptional but
unsurpassed down to today except for possibly
Record chains. That ended with SRAM.

You can still find some NOS (new old stock) of the
Sedisport 6/7 chains. About $25.

I saw a lot of them on EBay at that price range
stating "pre-owned" in the ad, meaning used and who
knows for how many miles or whether properly
maintained.

The topper I ever saw was "pre-owned" underwear.
Yikes.

What if they were pre-owned by Elizabeth Taylor?

It was men's underwear ...

What makes you think that Elizabeth Taylor didn't wear
men's underwear? She got pretty large near the end.

In a less humorousness vein, did you know that "back in the
day" runners used to wear women's panties?

I remember a cowboy on horseback telling us something similar
and it was a real manly John Wayne style guy. "Now I'll let you
in on a secret on how to avoid rashes from very long rides, but
don't ya tell your mama or anyone for that matter, ya hear?"

Speaking of manly - virtually every single star in Hollywood
after the mid-40's had been in the service and many of them
(often the guys that played bad guys) had silver stars and purple
hearts. Even Soupy Sales and Ernest Borgnine. The one exception
was, surprisingly, John Wayne, who volunteered three times but
they wouldn't let him in because of a bad back or something.

Today we have these guys playing heros that don't even know what
a hero is.

John Wayne could certainly play them right. On Sunday we saw
"Flying Tigers" for the umpteenth time.

What was one of his sayings? "Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyhow".

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Uhm... OTOH, we have him saying to a Viet Namese 6-y/o, at the end of
'the green berets': "You're what this is all about." Yea, rite.
Uh-huh.

He was right. If we hadn't lost that war the 6-year olds back then would
now not have to live under communism.

That may be, but it's not why we were there.

Old September 6th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Then why in your opinion?

History generally says it was to suppress the spread of communism, just
like that line in the movie was meant.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...e-vietnam-war/

Quote "The causes of the Vietnam War revolve around the simple belief
held by America that communism was threatening to expand all over
south-east Asia".

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/vietnam/causes.htm

Quote "U.S. policymakers, and most Americans, regarded communism as the
antithesis of all they held dear. ..."

I agree with that sentence.

Old September 6th 17, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Whoa whoa whoa! Already you make an assumption and try to pretend that I subscribe to it also. What makes you think that stopping the spread of something - evil or not - is done for the benefit of the future generation, rather than for one's own pleasure, revenge, satisfaction, zeal, fullfillment of desire or of self, or as an outlet of natural agression?

Seems to me that we need a war every 20 years. Every 20 years there is a new crop of 20-y/olds, full of natural agression, and their attitude is contagious, and does affect/spread to the population at large, to some extent

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...e-vietnam-war/

Quote "The causes of the Vietnam War revolve around the simple belief
held by America that communism was threatening to expand all over
south-east Asia".

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/vietnam/causes.htm

Do you think if I google looking for alternative reasons for us to be in there, that I'll find some? Who cares.

Quote "U.S. policymakers, and most Americans, regarded communism as the
antithesis of all they held dear. ..."

I agree with that sentence.

I agree with it in part, too, but that is not what is in question.

I think that there are a number of reasons that came together why we were in that war. Not absent is the element of Jihad in our own souls. Also present were our relationship with France, and our own fear of losing our own country, after the dominos all fall around us. Also present was pressure from the industries that benefit, and from the politicians who subscribe to that.

Capitalism is a great idea. But for a prosecutor to bust up a monopoly, and break up AT&T or come down on Microsoft, and then say to a 6-y/o "this is all for you, now you will have a better future" is (er, would be) just bull****, and deceiving one's self in the highest possible way. The righteous act for themselves, even when they are right.

Old September 7th 17, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Steven Keisling, in "The Shell Game", said that he rows because (perhaps in part) it is an outlet for the natural aggression that he believes we all have.

Will we ever hear a politician say such a thing?
Old September 7th 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

But of course He didn't say it. The script writer said it, He just
repeated it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 7th 17, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 11:44:02 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

But what's wrong with living under communism? Given Vietnam's history
since, say the 1850's, the average Vietnamese is probably as happy
under the present government as they were under previous regimes.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 7th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 13:29:59 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Why is that? In the automotive world such an advance in technology is
kept and further developed, not rescinded and chucked back into the dust
bin. Well, usually.

For example, transmissions nowadays typically last the whole lifetime of
a car. 20+ years for us on two vehicles so far, for everything. Vehicle
owners would have a hissy fit if they had to swap out a chain every 5000
miles.

I think that you are confusing reality with your own fantasies. In
years past I have worked with two engineers who had worked in the
automobile industry. They both said the same thing, that the major
effort in the motor industry was to "make it cheaper". One of them
described a cash for suggestion program that Ford (I believe) had for
a time and commented that when you made a million cars the removal of
one sheet metal screw in the firewall was of interest.

As for a chain drive lasting 5,000 miles, it is perfectly feasible to
build a chain drive that will last more then 5,000 miles. Of course it
will cost more and be rather large and ugly and will, of course be
heavier then a current systems, but it can be built.... if anyone will
buy it.

What's his Face... the guy that lives in the low rent district of the
Irish Republic, did that a few years back and described how it was
done in loving detail.

I haven't bought a new chain in some time but I did see a 9 speed
chain with a price tag on it recently and it was 500 baht. In Usian
money that would be about US$15.07.

Are you telling me that people that sprint around on 1000+ dollar
bicycles worry about a bicycle chain that costs so little money? 1.5%
of the cost of the bike?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 7th 17, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

Simple - the motor runs quieter, and consumers buy it more readily. Hence we saw plastic teeth on timing gears.

In this case, the non-hardened chains make less noise, 'cuz the edges go 'ting' less, and consumers perceive this as better shifting. ;-)
Old September 7th 17, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

I did not. Didn't read the question above?

... What makes you think that stopping the
spread of something - evil or not - is done for the benefit of the
future generation, rather than for one's own pleasure, revenge,
satisfaction, zeal, fullfillment of desire or of self, or as an
outlet of natural agression?

It is done for both. However, most of all for coming generations because
a decent human being care more for the offspring whether it's his own or
not.

[...]

Yes, there were a lot of other reasons as there are in most wars. The
key one was clear though, to stop the spread of communism.

Capitalism is a great idea. But for a prosecutor to bust up a
monopoly, and break up AT&T or come down on Microsoft, and then say
to a 6-y/o "this is all for you, now you will have a better future"
is (er, would be) just bull****, and deceiving one's self in the
highest possible way. The righteous act for themselves, even when
they are right.

Total laissez-faire isn't a good thing. That can and will result in
situations such as where you can only buy at the company store. I think
most of us would agree that that's not a good thing. Same for the
environment. Some government regulation is necessary or it'll all go to
pots. What is completely undesirable is for the government to take over
our lives and that's what communism is.

Old September 7th 17, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-28 13:43, sms wrote:
[...]

For example this:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/201...apters/vietnam

... Given Vietnam's history
since, say the 1850's, the average Vietnamese is probably as happy
under the present government as they were under previous regimes.

Having met a lot of Vietnamese people, including people where not all
relatives made it out, I do not think this is true. I also had relatives
who had to live in a former communist country. They would have been shot
if they had tried to leave. Nobody will ever tell me there is nothing
wrong with communism.