width difference between 9 and 10 speed cassette cogs

Old December 13th 11, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default width difference between 9 and 10 speed cassette cogs

i know that the spacers are different. how about the actual cogs. I
want to use 9 speed cogs on a 10 speed cassette.
Old December 13th 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 13 dec, 14:07, " wrote:
i know that the spacers are different. how about the actual cogs. I
want to use 9 speed cogs on a 10 speed cassette.

Measure.

Lou
Old December 13th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 13, 8:17*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 13 dec, 14:07, " wrote:

i know that the spacers are different. how about the actual cogs. I
want to use 9 speed cogs on a 10 speed cassette.

Measure.

Lou

thx, but i have a 10 speed now. I want to buy a 9 speed to mix cogs,
since the 10 speed is almost twice as much. I have a vernier and
measured in the past, and there is a slight difference. want to know
if it will affect shifting.
Old December 13th 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On 13 dec, 14:07, " wrote:

i know that the spacers are different. how about the actual cogs. I
want to use 9 speed cogs on a 10 speed cassette.

Measure.

Lou

thx, but i have a 10 speed now. I want to buy a 9 speed to mix cogs,
since the 10 speed is almost twice as much. I have a vernier and
measured in the past, and there is a slight difference. want to know
if it will affect shifting.

A single cog, no. Several in a row might add up enough to be
significant.
Old December 14th 11, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 13, 5:00*pm, James wrote:
On 14/12/11 00:07, wrote:

i know that the spacers are different. how about the actual cogs. I
want to use 9 speed cogs on a 10 speed cassette.

It depends.

I recently bought a third party cassette with a Campy spline because it
was cheaper than the equivalent genuine Campy cassette.

Both 10s.

I measured the cogs and spacers. *IIRC, the cogs were thinner and
spacers correspondingly thicker, from the non genuine cassette.

As well, the 11t and lock ring on the non genuine cassette was crap by
comparison.

In the absence of someone knowing, I'd measure first.

--
JS.

ok, so I broke down and bought a 10 (12-26)speed sram cassette for 45
bucks. Right now, I have an 11-32 cassette
11-12-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32. I like the range, but not the gaps
between the 11 and the 19th. So, I will get rid of the unusable 11.
then have 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-24-28-32.
Old December 14th 11, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

On 12/14/2011 05:47 AM, wrote:
On Dec 13, 5:00 pm, wrote:
On 14/12/11 00:07, wrote:

[...]

Do you have a typo on 24T vs. 25T? Aren't the largest 3 cogs of 10 spd
Shimano branded cassettes on carriers?

If you want to do something similar in the future you can get Miche
cogs, available individually in all sizes 30T. The large ones are a
bit flexy and don't shift as crisply as Shimano or SRAM but will get the
job done.
Old December 14th 11, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 14, 7:54*am, damyth wrote:
On 12/14/2011 05:47 AM, wrote:

On Dec 13, 5:00 pm, *wrote:
On 14/12/11 00:07, wrote:

[...]

its sram. they may be attached. I'll see when I make the changes