Take heed - Lady, put your dog on a leash on PA St Rt 232.

Old November 20th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bdbafh

Default Take heed - Lady, put your dog on a leash on PA St Rt 232.

You look left to see that the dog has you in its sights, and is
pursuing you with every fiber in its being.
It is not listening to its owner's commands to stop.
It is not paying heed to (possible) oncoming cars.
It is a dog with one single purpose: to track and attack the 2 wheeled
threat that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, on a
(speed limit 45 mph) state highway.

I had mixed feelings about oncoming cars.

On the one hand, an approaching vehicle in the southbound lane would
have made short work of the beast, rendering it into road pizza in a
most deservedly fashion. I would have had an excellent view of the
splattage as well as the owner's reaction to "her precious" meeting its
most timely demise. It would have ceased to be a threat to me and any
other cyclist - ever.

On the other hand, such a vehicle may have swerved to avoid the
hellbeast, instead taking me out cleanly from the far side of the other
lane. As cars frequently drive 60 mph on a 45 mph road, I would prefer
to not exit this planet via this path.

As it turned out, no car complicated the scene. As it was not fast
enough, I simply outran it. But on my next trip, the pepper gas will be
waiting, the knife will be honed. If it attacks, the beast will be no
more.

Take heed.

Lady, put your dog on a leash on PA St Rt 232.

Woman that was raking leaves in her front yard on PA State Route 232
today (north of PA St Rt 413):

Don't allow that dog of yours to run free ten feet from the highway.
Put it on some sort of leash.
You want to do this for the following reasons:

1. you love your dog and don't want it to be a road pizza
2. you fear the US (America) jury system that awards large sums to
individuals that get maimed in a non-fatal fashion in accidents
3. you want to keep your home and not end up in a trailer park.

Limit your liability.
That's what one should do in (a US) business.
Its what you should do as a responsible resident.
Limit your liability.
Don't let your beast off of the leash.
If you are crunchy/happy feel good/naive enough to think that _YOUR_
dog is different, think again.
_YOUR_ dog will act like a dog.
It will ignore you.
It will fail to acknowledge the oncoming traffic.
It will become a road pizza.
(Have you ever looked at the large number of critters that fail to
yield the right of way to traffic? I think that a beast per mile per
day is about right as far as casualties)

If in fact the beast had gotten close enough to me, I would have singed
its eyes and nose with a 5.3 million scoville units blast of bear
repellent, aka police-grade pepper spray. Its legal in NJ and PA. I
carry backup units, too.

Believe that I will slit the beast's throat with an attack-grade knife
after it has been rendered helpless by the capsacian spray, just in
case.

Keep your beast out of my killing range by keeping it off of the
highway, where it would take down an innocent cyclist.

Beware, as I may seem feeble on a bike - but once provoked, I will kill
- without fear, just as your hellhound chases me - without regard for
consequences.

Your dog that you loved will lay on the side of the road like a deer
that failed to heed the warnings with burning eyes and a slit throat,
bleeding out its volume of blood.

Would I attack a dog that is not attacking me? Nonsense. I have never,
ever fired a gun. I have never harmed Man's best friend. But this
evening, I dream of that dog's demised. If it crosses me again, it
shall not see another day.

Fence/leash/cage your (hellhound) dog.

The ******* Cyclist from Hell.

-bdbafh

Old November 20th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
jtdickie

Have you tried contacting the animal control officer? Slitting the beasts
throat sounds like you may end up in court.

Good Luck.

ups.com...

Old November 21st 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bdbafh

jtdickie wrote:
Have you tried contacting the animal control officer? Slitting the beasts
throat sounds like you may end up in court.

Good Luck.

Next time through that area I'll take note of the address.
I did not stick around or return back to that house to discuss it with
the owner.
I sprinted to avoid direct contact.
I had a train to catch at the end of the ride, light would be limited
and the temperature would be dropping if the ride took longer than
normal.

I doubt that the authorities are interested in an incident in which no
one was harmed.
They'd be better off spending their time investigating Stolen Bike
Reports (as if).

My fear is that next time, I would not be going downhill; I'd be on the
side near the animal and not have sufficient time to react. I would not
have the luxury of seeing the animal across 2 lanes with a downhill
road ahead of me. At this point I am not after a "revenge kill".

If the animal does attack on a subsequent ride, I think that I will be
in a defensible position if I substantially injure or kill it. That
does not preclude having to present my side of such a case in a
hearing.

The subject does deserve more research.

Basically, I am entitled to ride along that road without being molested
by a loose and aggressive dog. If the owner does not restrain the dog,
if it were to attack me I would feel no remorse in taking it out with a
knife in close contact. I'm not talking about poisoning it or sniping
at it from 300 yards away with a high powered rifle with a scope - I'm
talking about fending off an attack in close contact.

With any luck at all, the woman learned her lesson as to how her dog
really acts, how it is really wired inside and will control the dog as
she should and it will not run loose again.

But going uphill past that house next time, the pepper spray will be
out and ready.

-bdbafh

I did find this link:
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/rescuer.html

which included these snippets:

It is lawful for a person to repel an attack by a dog:

"[O]ne is 'privileged to destroy an animal for the purpose of
defending himself or third persons against harm threatened by the
animal, (a) if its actions led him to know or reasonably believe that
the animal would inflict such harm and (b) the destruction was
reasonable in view of the gravity of the harm threatened and (c) the
person reasonably believed the harm could be prevented only by
immediate destruction of the animal." (Devincenzi v. Faulkner (1959)
174 Cal.App.2d 250, 254-5.)

The law of self-defense permits aggression only for the purpose of
meeting aggression. It does not permit revenge killing. "It is not the
dog's predatory habits, nor his past transgressions, nor his
reputation, however bad, but the doctrine of self-defense, whether of
person or property, that gives the right to kill." (State v. Smith
(1911) 156 N.C. 628, 72 S.E. 321.) There is no legal justification that
will protect a person for killing or injuring a dog that bit him or her
at a prior time, if the dog presented no threat at the time of the
killing or injuring.

ups.com...

Old November 21st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
jtdickie

I agree with you. I've been a dog owner most of my 63 years and have
learned they are animals, unpredictable, and when they are "tuned" into
something they don't even hear the commands.

"bdbafh" wrote in message
ps.com...

jtdickie wrote:
[...]

ups.com...

Old November 21st 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mark

jtdickie wrote:

I doubt that the authorities are interested in an incident in which no
one was harmed.
They'd be better off spending their time investigating Stolen Bike
Reports (as if).

Dog officer of my town lives two doors down from me. He would take an
interest if it was reported. I am also aware of several other
dog/biker situations in this area that were reported before an incident
took place. The authorities did follow up. Don't just assume they
would blow you off.

Old December 4th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
yoBob

You also might consider non-lethal methods first before offing the mutt.
I've used a squirt from my water bottle twice to stop a dog dead in his
tracks. While he stands there trying to figure out WTF, I have time to
sprint away. I've also heard of folks using a frame pump to give a dog
a whack. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who still carries a frame
pump and a CO2 cartridge is not a good substitute for this use.

Old December 24th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Roy Zipris

Regarding what is lawful and what not, when one can use force in
self-defense, and how much force, such questions in the US are governed
by state law, so the answers may vary enormously from state to state.
Case law from one state has no precedential authority in another
jurisdiction, although it might be persuasive. so it would be helpful
to know what the rules are where you live and ride. Regards, Roy Zipris

UMM, how do you install a seat leash? nospam Mountain Biking 1 November 6th 06 01:03 AM
'Leash' for BC wheels? forrestunifreak Unicycling 33 May 24th 06 12:14 PM
Banana Leash (TM) John Hearns UK 2 May 3rd 05 01:28 PM
That dude looks like a lady. Hanan Ashrawi Racing 2 April 13th 05 02:33 PM
A Charming Lady... Carol Hague UK 42 August 18th 04 02:11 PM