Cycling In the City

Old November 30th 04, 04:01 AM
Gooserider

Default Cycling In the City

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
Nice article he

http://www.gothamgazette.com/article...41122/200/1189

"Stu Cohen has not been involved in any of the police clashes or court

cases
or competing City Hall bills of the past few months. He does not see

himself
as a bike warrior. He simply wants to do what the majority of residents of
Amsterdam, eight million Chinese in Beijing, and a half million or so

other
Americans (according to an estimate by the U.S. Census) do every weekday.

He
wants to use his bicycle as his principal means of transportation. ....."

I'm envious of people who live in places that are bicycle friendly. I don't.
I live in Florida, the land of no shoulders and elderly drivers. It's rare
that businesses have bike racks, and I've spoken to managers and written
letters to no avail. I take my life in my hands every time I venture
out---visions of being rear ended by a Grand Marquis dancing in my head.

Old November 30th 04, 05:23 AM
Ronsonic

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:01:49 GMT, "Gooserider" wrote:

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Much of the Tampa area's about as bike friendly as it could get. Bike lanes and
dedicated trails abound. The only problem is sometimes getting to the really
good spots if you live surrounded by really bad spots like me. I hate driving to
ride.

You probably live in that other Florida with the "gas station gators" and you
have my sympathies.

Ron

Old November 30th 04, 10:57 AM
Gooserider

wrote:

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
.. .
Nice article he

http://www.gothamgazette.com/article...41122/200/1189

"Stu Cohen has not been involved in any of the police clashes or court

cases
or competing City Hall bills of the past few months. He does not see

himself
as a bike warrior. He simply wants to do what the majority of residents

of
Amsterdam, eight million Chinese in Beijing, and a half million or so

other
Americans (according to an estimate by the U.S. Census) do every

weekday.
He
wants to use his bicycle as his principal means of transportation.

......"

[...]

Yep---Citrus County. The population here is either elderly or redneck,
neither of whom exactly look out for bikes. :-)