Seatpost suffering a minor setback

Old December 11th 05, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Seatpost suffering a minor setback

I have for long been wanting a seatpost with a major setback; just half an
inch more than what I have, would be fine (for the steepest climbs.)

And luckily today I found an inch long crack in my carbon seatpost. So
now I must buy a new one - for safety reasons. ;-(
Searching my favourite webstores I have found a FSA K-Force Carbon post
which is claimed to have a 3.5 cm setback: But I'm no sure if that is
enough.

So now I need to know, how to measure setback on my present seatpost.

One way would be to measure the distance from the center of the tube
(post) to the center of the clutch (is that the correct English term for
the device that clutches the rails of the saddle?)
Another - and more relevant - measure would be the distance from the FRONT
end of the ae... clutch to the center of the tube.

Q1: Is there an acknowledged standard description for seatpost setbacks?

Q2: Can anyone recommend a good seatpost with a big setback?

Kindly

Ivar of Denmark

(pardon my English)

--
Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Old December 11th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Ivar Hesselager" wrote in message
newsps1m51mxextdc4g@ivarsnotebook...
[...]

You want a post with setback, then check out the CLB:

http://www.wallbike.com/seatposts/clb.html

Old December 11th 05, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dans le message de newsps1m51mxextdc4g@ivarsnotebook,
Ivar Hesselager a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
[...]

To get a variety of potential setback positions, the LOOK seatpost offers
three, from which you would move the rails to perfect positioning.

--
Les faits relatés ici ne sont que pure fiction, et ne sauraient être
utilisés ou rapprochés d'une situation réelle existant ou ayant

Old December 11th 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
[...]

what was your original post? easton carbon posts have generous setback
and have been very reliable for me. i'm no lightweight.
Old December 12th 05, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Ivar Hesselager:
Q2: Can anyone recommend a good seatpost with a big setback?

Titec's HellBent has a beeeeeeg setback, but you might not like the weight.

Worked for me on an MTB for a couple years until I got a custom frame where I
didn't need setback anymore - and I weigh about 220#.

http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/se...c-seatpost.htm
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 12th 05, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ivar Hesselager:
Q2: Can anyone recommend a good seatpost with a big setback?

Titec's HellBent has a beeeeeeg setback, but you might not like the
weight.

Worked for me on an MTB for a couple years until I got a custom frame
where I didn't need setback anymore - and I weigh about 220#.

http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/se...c-seatpost.htm

The HellBent has 50mm of setback. It is not for the weight weenies, nor is
it for those that need elegant styling. But dammit, it works on my bike!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 12th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
I have for long been wanting a seatpost with a major setback; just
half an inch more than what I have, would be fine (for the steepest
climbs.)
And luckily today I found an inch long crack in my carbon seatpost. So now
I must buy a new one - for safety reasons. ;-(
Searching my favourite webstores I have found a FSA K-Force Carbon
post which is claimed to have a 3.5 cm setback: But I'm no sure if
that is enough.

The FSA SL-220 is the aluminum version of the K-Force Carbon. It also has
35mm of setback.

To measure setback, they measure from the center of the diameter of the post
to the center of the clamping area.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 12th 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Oval Concepts Aergo claim up to 4.5 of setback. Get here relatively
inexpensively:

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=ST7130

Old December 12th 05, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
I have for long been wanting a seatpost with a major setback; just half an
inch more than what I have, would be fine (for the steepest climbs.)

I'm surprised that you want more setback for climbs... I'd prefer just
the opposite; less setback for climbs and more for descents.

If you are currently sliding rearward on the seat (and the seat is
level), then moving it forward should help. The reason why you are
sliding rearward is because your weight is well behind the pedals, and
your power stroke is pushing you that way. If you could get more on top
of the pedals this effect would be less.

Old December 12th 05, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
.com,
"Ron Ruff" wrote:

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
I have for long been wanting a seatpost with a major setback; just half an
inch more than what I have, would be fine (for the steepest climbs.)

I'm surprised that you want more setback for climbs... I'd prefer just
the opposite; less setback for climbs and more for descents.

If you are currently sliding rearward on the seat (and the seat is
level), then moving it forward should help. The reason why you are
sliding rearward is because your weight is well behind the pedals, and
your power stroke is pushing you that way. If you could get more on top
of the pedals this effect would be less.

I agree. Look at the geometry. On a level road you want
your weight balanced over your pedal stroke. On a climb
you want your weight balanced over your pedal stroke, but
now the bicycle is tilted relative to flat ground and you
must move your weight forward with respect to the bicycle
compared to level ground. If you climb a lot you want to
cheat the saddle forward relative to its ideal flat ground
position.

--
Michael Press