Question about Threaded Headsets

Old December 12th 05, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Question about Threaded Headsets

Hi folks, I have a question just to gain a little knowledge in an area
that I'm sort of lacking in.

Lets take a 1" Campagnolo Record Threaded Headset for example.

Are there differences between a 1" Campy Headset that would go on an
American/English Frame, (Lets say a Schwinn) versus one that would fit
an Italian Frame? (Lets say Colnago)

Are there differences too for the French Frames?

I'm thinking that there are differences, in that the Steerer Tubes are
threaded differently (Sort of like the same differences between Bottom
Brackets) TIA, Mark

Old December 12th 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yes and no. Your best reference is the unstoppable Sheldon Brown's:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

1" fork threads pretty much all the same, unless you're talking French
or Raliegh.

Jeff

Old December 12th 05, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mark D wrote:

Hi folks, I have a question just to gain a little knowledge in an area
that I'm sort of lacking in.

Lets take a 1" Campagnolo Record Threaded Headset for example.

Are there differences between a 1" Campy Headset that would go on an
American/English Frame, (Lets say a Schwinn) versus one that would fit
an Italian Frame? (Lets say Colnago)

Are there differences too for the French Frames?

I'm thinking that there are differences, in that the Steerer Tubes are
threaded differently (Sort of like the same differences between Bottom
Brackets) TIA, Mark

Yes and no.
Although the nomenclature seems equivalent ( BSC=1"x24tpi,
ITA=25.4x24tpi) the Italian thread is a 55 degree Whitworth
form. Not only are the threads at a slightly different angle
but a Whitworth thread is rounded at the top and trough.

Practically, on a steel column with a steel headset, you can
mix-n-match with impunity. Introduce an aluminum upper race
and I wouldn't do it.

CAmpagnolo stamps the underside of the upper race and
locknut clearly.

The French norm is so different ( FR= 25.0 x 1.0) as to be
completely non-interchangeable. Well, for the two top
pieces. The pressed cups, bearings and crown race are all
the same parts for all three formats.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old December 12th 05, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A Muzi wrote in news:11pq7he156hkk37
@corp.supernews.com:

The French norm is so different ( FR= 25.0 x 1.0) as to be
completely non-interchangeable. Well, for the two top
pieces. The pressed cups, bearings and crown race are all
the same parts for all three formats.

(caveat - you couldn't use a JIS-sized crown race. Well, yu could, butit'd
be loose)

And luckily, the bottom half is the only portion that's likely to wear out,
since it bears all the weight. If you have an oddball size and it pits
badly, you can just replace the bottom half and ride another gazillion
miles, if you don't mind the mismatch.

(caveat - you couldn't use a JIS-sized crown race on a French or Italian-
threaded fork. Well, you could, but it'd be loose)

Old December 13th 05, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank Wirtz wrote:
(caveat - you couldn't use a JIS-sized crown race. Well, yu could, butit'd
be loose)
And luckily, the bottom half is the only portion that's likely to wear out,
since it bears all the weight. If you have an oddball size and it pits
badly, you can just replace the bottom half and ride another gazillion
miles, if you don't mind the mismatch.
(caveat - you couldn't use a JIS-sized crown race on a French or Italian-
threaded fork. Well, you could, but it'd be loose)

Well, as long as we're sitting around picking each others
nits, you might discuss a putative Tange or Shimano issue
with JIS cups (30.0, not 30.2) and crown races ( 27.1 not
26.4) but I never saw a Campagnolo 1039 or a 4041 headset
with either. And they aren't listed in Campagnolo's
catalogs. The OP specified Campagnolo Record/Super Record.