Stolen! :(

Old July 18th 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Beardy

Default Stolen! :(

Some Scrote has STOLEN my pub bike. It's a ralieghsp? with a sturmy
archer 3 speed hub with a combind hub dynamo that powers a wonderful
chrome head ligh (in theory it's got moustach handle bars wiht rod
brakes and a fully enclosed chain. It EVEN has cotter pins and
everything. and it is olive green.

OK, so maybe leaving it in the front garden was not the most sensible
plase for it, and yes it is heavy to ride, and no the brakes don't
particularly work very well. And it wouldn't stay in first gear. Yes it
was a bit crap.

But that's not the point is it. It was MY crap bike, not theirs. The
Ba$tards.

Thankyou for listening, I'll go back to lurking now

Old July 18th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Beardy wrote:
Some Scrote has STOLEN my pub bike. It's a ralieghsp? with a sturmy
archer 3 speed hub with a combind hub dynamo that powers a wonderful
chrome head ligh (in theory it's got moustach handle bars wiht rod
brakes and a fully enclosed chain. It EVEN has cotter pins and
everything. and it is olive green.

OK, so maybe leaving it in the front garden was not the most sensible
plase for it, and yes it is heavy to ride, and no the brakes don't
particularly work very well. And it wouldn't stay in first gear. Yes it
was a bit crap.

But that's not the point is it. It was MY crap bike, not theirs. The
Ba$tards.

Thankyou for listening, I'll go back to lurking now

Sorry to hear about your bike. That's why I lock up my beater bike
when I'm not riding it (I've also gone out of my way to make it look
dreadful).

Oddly, as I was running in the park this afternoon, it occurred to me
that I'd paid more for my new running shoes than I had for my beater
bike, yet I've already gotten more kilometers out of the bike that I
will get out of the shoes. Hmmmm.

I have a starter lock on my car - without this little fob doohicky
(essentially an RFID tag), the car will not start. Too bad we cannot
come up with a similar gadget for bicycles. What about a hub with a
dynamo and a small battery? Flip a switch and it looks for the fob.
When it finds the fob, it unlocks the hub so it will roll. Once you're
rolling, the dynamo keeps the hub unlocked and charges the battery. If
you stop for more than, say, 5 minutes, or if you flip the switch off,
the hub locks until the toggle the switch with the fob in proximity.
The hub wouldn't have to generate much power for the locking system.
Maybe it could be combined with a headlamp/generator hub? Am I just
inhaling too much?

Jeff

Old July 18th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:25:18 -0700, Beardy wrote:

Some Scrote has STOLEN my pub bike. It's a ralieghsp? with a sturmy
archer 3 speed hub with a combind hub dynamo that powers a wonderful
chrome head ligh (in theory it's got moustach handle bars wiht rod
brakes and a fully enclosed chain. It EVEN has cotter pins and everything.
and it is olive green.

Damn! Two days ago I could have put you on to 5 Raleighs of similar spec
(not ridable). But I just gave the contact details to a local VCC member
and it's only fair to let him have first go.

However, if you want a BSA (parts of) that's been in my gard^W jungle for
at least 22 years it's yours for the collect^W machetee session.

OTOH, if you're well above 6 ft tall I've got a brand new mountain bike
you can have. It's the bottom line of a reputable make (which I forget,
not being into mountain bikes). It came to me from the parents of the
purchaser, who was too short to ride it, as am I. It's been hanging
uselessly in the garage for five years.

Mike
Old July 19th 06, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Binns

On 18 Jul 2006 14:45:57 -0700, wrote:

[snip tale of beater theft woe]

[...]

Interesting idea, but I fear some of the possible failure modes would
entail a distinct test of courage when riding a bike so equipped.

If you've had a Brompton stolen... Tony Raven UK 22 February 28th 05 10:53 AM
Stolen recumbent recovered Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 9 March 6th 04 09:48 AM
Stolen recumbent recovered Kit Wolf UK 4 February 28th 04 05:26 PM
Parkinson's Survivor Trike Stolen Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway General 0 December 9th 03 06:10 AM
Parkinson's Survivor Trike Stolen Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Rides 0 December 9th 03 06:10 AM