Catrike - Shimmy

Old June 26th 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Grolsch[_2_]

Default Catrike - Shimmy

I recently had my Catrike serviced at the selling dealer. Since, I have had
less stability in the steering, a shimmy at speeds of 20kph or better. If I
take my hands off the steering (or barely on) a shimmy develops. The toe-in
is set to spec (1/8") so that is not the problem. There was apparantly
nothing that was worked on during the service which should have affected
steering. Tires are seated properly, wheels straight, spoke tension good.
All appears normal, yet the shimmy is there. Interested in any ideas or
comments. TIA

Grolsch

--
____________________
HJ Wilke Consultants

Old June 26th 07, 06:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_2_]

Did you somehow actually check the toe-in?

Just a few random thoughts; loose tie-rod end bearing (retaining nut loose),
worn ball-ends, misadjusted king-pin bushings/bearings, tires not inflated
equally and rear wheel axle not properly centered in drop-out.

Old June 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Grolsch[_2_]

Just did a Toe-in check, took it from 1/8" to neutral (0"). increased tire
pressure from 35psi a side to 60psi per side. I'm running Big Apples BTW.
There's 5400km on the trike so some parts may be showing some wear,
including the tires, but as I said I just had a full service, incl chain and
freewheel + adjustments. I wish they'd leave the toe-in alone. When I first
got the bike a year ago the toe in was set at 1/4"... wayyyy too much.
Anyway, a test ride indicates some improvement on the shimmy. Now a full
ride to see. Check back, I'll update.

Grolsch

.. .

Old June 26th 07, 10:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Grolsch[_2_]

Well setting toe-in at near neutral seems to do the trick, absolutely no
shimmy at any speed. Back to it's purpose in life... to be ridden, and
ridden often. See ya.

Grolsch

"Grolsch" wrote in message
news5cgi.8484$qC1.2052@edtnps89...
Just did a Toe-in check, took it from 1/8" to neutral (0"). increased tire
pressure from 35psi a side to 60psi per side. I'm running Big Apples BTW.
There's 5400km on the trike so some parts may be showing some wear,
including the tires, but as I said I just had a full service, incl chain
and freewheel + adjustments. I wish they'd leave the toe-in alone. When I
first got the bike a year ago the toe in was set at 1/4"... wayyyy too
much. Anyway, a test ride indicates some improvement on the shimmy. Now a
full ride to see. Check back, I'll update.

Grolsch

.. .

"Grolsch" wrote in message
I recently had my Catrike serviced at the selling dealer. Since, I have
had less stability in the steering, a shimmy at speeds of 20kph or
better. If I take my hands off the steering (or barely on) a shimmy
develops. The toe-in is set to spec (1/8") so that is not the problem.
There was apparantly nothing that was worked on during the service which
should have affected steering. Tires are seated properly, wheels
straight, spoke tension good. All appears normal, yet the shimmy is
there. Interested in any ideas or comments. TIA

Grolsch

--
HJ Wilke Consultants
2335 Marlborough Drive
Nanaimo, BC, V9S 3J3

High Speed Shimmy [email protected] Techniques 144 June 28th 07 05:40 AM
Downhill Shimmy Michie General 10 May 1st 07 12:47 AM
Will I have any shimmy problems Geoff Thompson Techniques 3 July 22nd 06 02:28 PM
The problem of shimmy explained jur Techniques 86 July 20th 06 01:10 PM
Another shimmy question Dave Techniques 111 December 9th 05 08:55 PM