No Right Turn on Red

Old March 8th 15, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default No Right Turn on Red

I assume that the "No Right Turn on Red" signs that occasionally appear
on corners apply to cyclists (as well as cars). Seems a bit pointless
if there is a bicycle lane on the road to which access is controlled.
Once stopped, a cyclist could dismount, hence becoming a pedestrain,
turn the bike 90 degrees, remount, and now legally a bicyclist, continue
in the desired direction.

--
Joe Riel

Old March 8th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

assume we can assemble n obit list for cyclists forcing the issue here...

dismount then sort the situation, plan, savor the scene: no sense in pretending as a motorcyclist

http://goo.gl/GuBVtP

http://goo.gl/kCd19u

our favorite and most impassable

http://goo.gl/N1j9z0

almost always on the road with the IC....let them go first.

Old March 8th 15, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 9:18:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
assume we can assemble n obit list for cyclists forcing the issue here...

dismount then sort the situation, plan, savor the scene: no sense in pretending as a motorcyclist

http://goo.gl/GuBVtP

http://goo.gl/kCd19u

our favorite and most impassable

http://goo.gl/N1j9z0

almost always on the road with the IC....let them go first.

00 00 00 0X

one moah...this one is part of the loop at the end of Spa Bypass. The right only which comes in 3 flavors: right stop, right turn, variations for drunks and mood elevators...suicidal

2 turn lanes into 3 go right lanes

http://goo.gl/61wlpu

http://goo.gl/61wlpu
Old March 8th 15, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 8:53:17 PM UTC-5, JoeRiel wrote:
I assume that the "No Right Turn on Red" signs that occasionally appear
on corners apply to cyclists (as well as cars). Seems a bit pointless
if there is a bicycle lane on the road to which access is controlled.
Once stopped, a cyclist could dismount, hence becoming a pedestrain,
turn the bike 90 degrees, remount, and now legally a bicyclist, continue
in the desired direction.

In my state, a bicycle is legally a vehicle. Since the law in question isn't
limited to motor vehicles, it does apply to bikes.

But you're right, the work-around would be easy enough to make the prohibition
pointless. Even more so if there are two bike lanes involved.

FWIW, one of my most common to-the-store-and-back routes features a T
intersection with no right turn on red into the stem of the T, which is the
way I'm normally going. I think the reason is that there are lots of
pedestrians, including school kids, who use that intersection.

I actually do sit out the red instead of turning. It feels a bit silly, but
I figure I'm demonstrating that some bicyclists, anyway, do obey traffic
laws. And I'm a very well known cyclist in this community, which makes
staying legal even more important to me.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 15, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

There are two intersections on my commute (one heading in and one going
back) where there is a T-shaped intersection with the bike lane going
across the top of the T. I used to ride through that intersection
regardless of the colour of the light on the assumption that no matter what
colour the light was, nobody was crossing my lane. Then one day a fellow
drove his car up the T and into his driveway. Dang...
Old March 8th 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 17:53:13 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

I assume that the "No Right Turn on Red" signs that occasionally appear
on corners apply to cyclists (as well as cars). Seems a bit pointless
if there is a bicycle lane on the road to which access is controlled.
Once stopped, a cyclist could dismount, hence becoming a pedestrain,
turn the bike 90 degrees, remount, and now legally a bicyclist, continue
in the desired direction.

And that is the LEGAL way to do it if there is a "no right turns on
red" sign. Bicycles, while on the road, are vehicles subject to all
"rules of the road".
Old March 8th 15, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

oooooooooooo_

While I don't like the idea of becoming a pedestrian when convenient

bad attitude

minus 4 zillion pts

write a request with photo to the commissioners and ask for the state to look at getting in a stop sign
Old March 14th 15, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Joe Riel wrote:
I assume that the "No Right Turn on Red" signs that occasionally appear
on corners apply to cyclists (as well as cars). Seems a bit pointless
if there is a bicycle lane on the road to which access is controlled.
Once stopped, a cyclist could dismount, hence becoming a pedestrain,
turn the bike 90 degrees, remount, and now legally a bicyclist, continue
in the desired direction.

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHtCNhABlLw

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 14th 15, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

we play

15 Minutes of NO RIGHT TURN ON RED

following a 30 minute jam of 100 MORE MILES TOO BRISTOL....

Your Turn: Fred Fredburger Racing 0 January 31st 09 06:01 PM
Turn by Turn Routes mlmartinet Techniques 1 July 24th 08 02:42 AM
Can't turn right? underdog Unicycling 0 July 11th 06 05:04 PM
Can't turn right? johnfoss Unicycling 0 July 11th 06 04:56 PM
Turn $6.00 into $15,000!! Really! [email protected] General 2 February 27th 05 11:53 PM