Here's a solution. What was the problem?

Old October 25th 19, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Here's a solution. What was the problem?

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 12:53:57 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I wonder whether there isn't some corporate emphasis on patenting any
and all things associated with whatever you may be making at the time.
Just to have it in the files.

You don't have to wonder. The company with the biggest patent
portfolio usually wins. It's happening, it's real, and it's even
encouraged by various acts of Congress. An acquaintance is a "patent
engineer" or something similar working for a major corporate
conglomeration. The job of his department is to find things in the
company's labs that can be patented. Notice that I didn't say "worth
patenting". Once a company has an almost automated patent
manufacturing system in place, the incremental cost of applying for
yet another patent is trivial.

I read somewhere that a significant cost factor in the manufacture of
hand phones is the royalty payments for all the patented thingies that
are incorporated into the phone.

It's like that for every complex product. No single company can move
fast enough or has a sufficiently good intelligence staff, that will
end up owning all the patents necessary to build a complex product.
There's always something missing that has to be licensed. Some
companies negotiate various technology sharing agreements, such as the
recent Toyota and Subaru joint venture.
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-and-toyota-announce-joint-partnership-develop-all-new-midsize-large-electric-suvs
Others, like Microsoft, are joining patent pools such as the OIN (Open
Invention Network):
https://www.openinventionnetwork.com
by agreeing to license anyone and everyone. Some are getting tired of
patent trolls, dodging trivial patents, and excessive claims, and are
directly attacking the worst offenders:
https://www.eff.org/patent-busting

Let's say you have a brilliant idea for designing heated handlebar
grips for bicycles. An initial patent search (I haven't don't this
yet), will probably show about 100 potential infringements and another
100 that are sufficiently vague that an unfavorable judgment in court
is a possibility. By the time the product gets into initial
production, there will probably more than a trivial number of patent
infringement suits, and a large number of patent infringement suits
for imaginary violations that have absolutely nothing to do with the
product. These are intended to extort money from the alleged violator
simply because it's cheaper to pay a "settlement", than to pursue the
case to the bitter end. Until the US enacts a "loser pays" patent
law, that's the way it works.

So, how does a large corporation defend itself? In the case of
legitimate competition, it's by obtaining as many patents as possible
which then act as trading items in subsequent patent pool and exchange
negotiations. More patents means more to trade.

I'll spare you my opinion on method patents (also known as utility or
process patents). If you can't patent what you're making, these let
you patent how you make it.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2015/10/30/courts-are-drawing-the-line-on-business-method-patents/
I'll also spare you my opinion on software patents.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 25th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

You're lying scum, Slow Johnny. Prove that I ever said what you claim by giving us a URL to the message. -- Andre Jute

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 9:37:05 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:

Back when Jute was building his electric bicycle he was bemoaning the
cost of the yearly tax on small motorcycles and decided on the
electric bicycle as there was no tax.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 25th 19, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Kreepy Frank Krygowski still suffers under the delusion that he decides who can post on RBT. Frank-boy is a real slow learner.

Unsigned out of contempt

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 2:47:53 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

This is all to the good. A) He'd have to actually sell some writing (God knows
where) to raise the money. That means he'd have less time for trolling here.
B) He could move his pollution to a Honda Gold Wing discussion group.

- Frank Krygowski

Old October 25th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 3:45:28 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

If people didn't reply to them the Trolls would most likely go elsewhere. Every reply to a Troll just encourages them to post more.

Cheers

Hey, Rideablot: Anybody tell you yet that what you're doing here, there, everywhere in this newsgroup is a particularly dumb form of trolling.

Andre Jute
Just trying to help
Old October 26th 19, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 06:47:50 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 4:37:05 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 05:28:45 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 17:46:32 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

I have no idea what that is, and I'll leave it to you. I'm looking into
a Honda Gold Wing because the owner group is more agreeable.

Lol, don't by a "bike' you can not pick up when you drop it.

https://www.motorcycle.com/specs/honda/
A 2019 Gold Wing seems to cost $23,800, and the Gold Wing Tour costs
$27,000.

Back when Jute was building his electric bicycle he was bemoaning the
cost of the yearly tax on small motorcycles and decided on the
electric bicycle as there was no tax.

And now he is going to buy one :-)

This is all to the good. A) He'd have to actually sell some writing (God knows
where) to raise the money. That means he'd have less time for trolling here.
B) He could move his pollution to a Honda Gold Wing discussion group.

- Frank Krygowski

I decided long ago that Jute has, to quote the Supreme Court, "no
socially redeeming qualities" and kill filed him.
I think a fitting "epitaph" is that "I never missed him".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 26th 19, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

You're not only lying scum, Slow Johnny, you're cowardly lying scum. You claim to ignore me, but you tell lies about me, and then claim not to see my demands for your evidence. That alone is conclusive evidence that you are a bully and a coward. In any decent society or group, you'd be ostracised for so undermining natural justice. In RBT you're egged on by the rest of the scum, like Krygowski, and Beattie, who should know better, tries to defend your slimy actions. Doesn't make you any less slimy; it just slimes them too with your immorality and cowardice.

Unsigned out of contempt for an Ugly "American"

Old October 26th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 6:39:34 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
You're not only lying scum, Slow Johnny, you're cowardly lying scum. You claim to ignore me, but you tell lies about me, and then claim not to see my demands for your evidence. That alone is conclusive evidence that you are a bully and a coward. In any decent society or group, you'd be ostracised for so undermining natural justice. In RBT you're egged on by the rest of the scum, like Krygowski, and Beattie, who should know better, tries to defend your slimy actions. Doesn't make you any less slimy; it just slimes them too with your immorality and cowardice.

Unsigned out of contempt for an Ugly "American"

I have noticed several people here claiming to have kill-filed me but they are always answering my messages even when no one else posted.

It is perfectly OK for people to be here while others discuss actual technical things But we end up with Zen, new18, frank and John the bomber crew chief that bombed things after those bombers had been out of service for a decade.

John also tells us that the modern Gallium-arsenide solar cells are the same as those from a decade ago showing he has some sort of hangup about getting old. He seems to think that todays capability of thin film and multi-layer construction have been around since he was crew chief on a B50.

Frank seems to think that his opinions are worthy of even reading.

I have to admit I can't quite make News18 out since one second he'll be normal and the next he will be defending Frank's drivel. That's a rather childish thing but then perhaps the "18" is his age.

Zen is just ridiculous.

The four of them together make me wonder why they are on .tech. Is it their lives to argue about things that they don't know? You have to be pretty hard up for friends to come to a group to do nothing but argue mostly about things either off-subject or about which you have no experience, no training and no knowledge. Do you suppose that they can't even get Facebook "friends"?
Old October 26th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 13:39:30 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

[...]

Ah, you mean technical like, Ohhh, I got on my super wonderful $4,000
bicycle, see, it's got them there wonderful carbon fiber wheels. O.K.,
they wobble but they are just so wonderful. All ready this week I done
got a whole bunch of wonderful miles and simply mountains of wonderful
climbing.

Right! Technical!
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 26th 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I always wondered why the Tour pros ride carbon fiber wheels - according to you they want wheels that wobble. That must be another example of your technical knowledge.
Old October 26th 19, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Gee Tom, the imaginary 4 inch branch that you just hit must have
caused even more brain damage... nobody was talking about Tour pros
(probably meant pro's).

Is this your definition of "technical" - changing the subject?
--
cheers,

John B.