9 speed shimano dura ace STIs with 11 speed dura ace mechs and brakes

Old February 21st 14, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

Default 9 speed shimano dura ace STIs with 11 speed dura ace mechs and brakes

I might have the chance of picking up a very nice new bike for a very reasonable price. The only drawback is that it comes kitted out with a dura ace 11 speed groupset. Unfortunately my bike stable and wheel collection are all 9 speed and I would like to maintain the interchangeabilty this gives me. In fact I cannot see me ever needing to go beyond 9 speed as most of my bikes will probably outlive me.

My question is therefore will the 11 speed front and rear mechs and the brakes work quite happily if I swap the dura ace 11 speed STIs for one of my 9 speed dura ace sets. Will the 11 speed chainset also work quite happily along with a 9 speed chain. If this is the case the bike will move from a being very reasonable to an excellent price as I can sell the STIs and the wheel set and utilise my existing STIs and wheels.

Graham.
Old February 22nd 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:43:16 -0000, "Graham"
wrote:

I might have the chance of picking up a very nice new bike for a very reasonable price. The only drawback is that it comes kitted out with a dura ace 11 speed groupset. Unfortunately my bike stable and wheel collection are all 9 speed and I would like to maintain the interchangeabilty this gives me. In fact I cannot see me ever needing to go beyond 9 speed as most of my bikes will probably outlive me.

My question is therefore will the 11 speed front and rear mechs and the brakes work quite happily if I swap the dura ace 11 speed STIs for one of my 9 speed dura ace sets. Will the 11 speed chainset also work quite happily along with a 9 speed chain. If this is the case the bike will move from a being very reasonable to an excellent price as I can sell the STIs and the wheel set and utilise my existing STIs and wheels.

Graham.

I can't comment on 9 versus 11 speed brakes :-) but I have quite
successfully interchanged 9 and 11 speed shifters and derailers with
no problems to date - all Shimano, of course :-) I've also, by
mistake, interchanged 9 and 11 speed chains without know it.
The shifter does have to match the cassette of course.

The ultimate is, of course, friction shifters, either bar-end or down
tube. They match everything :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 22nd 14, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

"Graham" wrote:
I might have the chance of picking up a very nice new bike for a very
reasonable price. The only drawback is that it comes kitted out with a
dura ace 11 speed groupset. Unfortunately my bike stable and wheel
collection are all 9 speed and I would like to maintain the
interchangeabilty this gives me. In fact I cannot see me ever needing to
go beyond 9 speed as most of my bikes will probably outlive me.

My question is therefore will the 11 speed front and rear mechs and the
brakes work quite happily if I swap the dura ace 11 speed STIs for one of
my 9 speed dura ace sets. Will the 11 speed chainset also work quite
happily along with a 9 speed chain. If this is the case the bike will
move from a being very reasonable to an excellent price as I can sell the
STIs and the wheel set and utilise my existing STIs and wheels.

Graham.

I think you'll have problems trying to fit a 9 speed chain on an 11 speed
cassette.

Out of curiosity only why is this such a requirement? I only have a
couple bikes and most of the drive train parts are not interchangeable but
this hasn't really been an issue.

--
duane
Old February 22nd 14, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

You were able to put a 9 speed chain on an 11 speed cassette with no
problems?

The ultimate is, of course, friction shifters, either bar-end or down
tube. They match everything :-)

For some definition of ultimate... :-)

--
duane
Old February 22nd 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"Duane" wrote in message ...
"Graham" wrote:
[...]

My issue is simply that I have a number of very nice wheel sets that all take 9 speed cassettes and I tend to swap then around depending on the ride I am doing. For example I will put in a set of Dura Ace C24s for a hilly event whereas for a predominantly flat event I will go with a set of Dura Ace C50s. For training rides it will be a pair of RS80 C24s.

As regards the cassette clearly my intention is to run with my existing wheelsets with 9 speed cassettes so I will not be trying to run a 9 speed chain on an 11 speed cassette. My concern was would a nine speed chain run OK on an 11 speed chainset and would it shift OK driving the 11 speed front mech off a 9 speed STI. Similarly for the rear mech.

To get the price down for the new bike the plan would be to sell the wheelset, cassette, chain and 11 speed STIs and fit a spare set of 9 speed STIs I have got and use my existing wheels, cassettes and chains.

Graham.
Old February 22nd 14, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:36:56 AM UTC-8, Graham wrote:
"Duane" wrote in message ...

"Graham" wrote:

[...]

I have no experience with 11sp (maybe Muzi knows), but 9 speed shifters are entirely compatible with a 10 sp rear derailleur. Cable travel is set at the shifter, so the rear derailleur shouldn't matter except to the extent it has extremely narrow pulley cage, but that is unlikely.

I like having the extra gear on my new 10sp bike, but it is nice only having to worry about a cassette change if I want to throw in another set of wheels, unlike with 11sp.

-- Jay Beattie.