Headset Question slightly revisited.

Old August 6th 03, 09:48 AM
Philthy

Default Headset Question slightly revisited.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous question about my headset.
So I've discovered that the headset in my frame at the moment is an OEM Cane
Creek Internal with cups/Zerostack style. I now know I cannot replace this
with a conventional headset as I wanted due to the difference in the bore of
the headtube.
So my replacement choices are Cane Creek ZS2 or ZS6 that I know of, is this
correct?
Also Anyone got any reccomendations for any other compatable Internal
headsets from other manufacturers. I noticed the Innerpeace from WTB, this
looks like it's a ZS compatable headset but the info is a bit vague
http://www.wtb.com/innerpeace.html

Reason I ask is, in the UK the Cane Creek ZS are rather expensive for what
they are (More expensive by far than a standard headset) & the WTB one is a
3rd of the price, but I doubt a 3rd of the quality as I've had good
experience of WTB components outlasting more respected name brands in the
past.
Any thoughts you clever people
Phil

Old August 6th 03, 06:01 PM
Dave Salovesh

In ,
"Philthy" opined:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous question about my headset.

You know, you could have followed up in that same thread...

So I've discovered that the headset in my frame at the moment is an OEM Cane
Creek Internal with cups/Zerostack style. I now know I cannot replace this
with a conventional headset as I wanted due to the difference in the bore of
the headtube.

That's one way to put it.

So my replacement choices are Cane Creek ZS2 or ZS6 that I know of, is this
correct?
Also Anyone got any reccomendations for any other compatable Internal
headsets from other manufacturers. I noticed the Innerpeace from WTB, this
looks like it's a ZS compatable headset but the info is a bit vague
http://www.wtb.com/innerpeace.html

What you're looking for is a bearing set that has the right dimensions.
According to CC's stuff at:

http://www.canecreek.com/site/produc...info/tech.html

CC's ZS headsets use an "industry standard" "interface diameter" of 44mm
for a 1-1/8" spec. FSA also makes some headsets to this standard.

Chris King's "Perdido" is NOT to this standard...

Reason I ask is, in the UK the Cane Creek ZS are rather expensive for what
they are (More expensive by far than a standard headset) & the WTB one is a
3rd of the price, but I doubt a 3rd of the quality as I've had good
experience of WTB components outlasting more respected name brands in the
past.

And the WTBs and FSAs are infinitely more expensive than keeping the one
you already have, though they're certainly not infinitely better. Nor
is your OEM set infinitely worse...

IMO, there's no reason at all to replace this fine, brand new headset
just yet. When the time comes -- a few years from now, at least -- you
can look at just replacing the bearings (an upgrade to the ZS6 bearings
should be possible without any other changes) or replacing the whole
headset.

--
Dave Salovesh

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Garmin GPS -- slightly OT tech question Mike Sparling Mountain Biking 7 November 3rd 03 04:57 AM
Campy Headset Question Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 2 July 9th 03 06:28 PM