To cycle is to live dangerously...[

Old November 2nd 17, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On 11/1/2017 10:22 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 7:59:58 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/1/2017 5:41 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

HR lady does not see herself as less valuable in the selection process than the manager or teammates... in fact, the other way around. She thinks she is a professional in her field just like the engineers and the manager are in theirs, and should be an equal player in the process. In fact she sees herself as more insightful into people and personalities than the social zeros that the manager and engineers are, and therefore her responsibility to shepherd them a bit, and compensate for their inability to see who's "a fit with the company" like she can.

There is nobody in the organization that I think less of than HR lady.

Bad enough but an ex who is a college instructor reports
that the hiring committees of small colleges are made up of
staff who are ex HR ladies.

It obviously varies from school to school. I've seen almost total faculty
control of qualification requirements, department faculty rating all
applications, choosing whom to interview, ranking those who made it as far as
the interview, etc. There was input from HR on things like wording of
advertisements (you've gotta say you won't discriminate), there were rules
like if a rejected candidate was a minority or veteran, you had to fill out
a form to explain the rejection. And final hiring decisions come from above.

But overall, department faculty had very significant influence on the entire
process. Which was good, because it helps if a new hire is someone respected
by the faculty.

- Frank Krygowski

Once, yes.
In today's "higher" education industry, administration has
staff numbers and dollars which dwarf mere faculty.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 2nd 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/2/2017 9:33 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/1/2017 10:22 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 7:59:58 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/1/2017 5:41 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

HR lady does not see herself as less valuable in the selection
process than the manager or teammates... in fact, the other way
around.Â* She thinks she is a professional in her field just like the
engineers and the manager are in theirs, and should be an equal
player in the process.Â* In fact she sees herself as more insightful
[...]

I agree that college administrations have exploded in size and cost. I
don't know why this is never mentioned when tuition increases or faculty
contract negotiations occur. But AFAIK that hasn't changed the hiring
procedures.

Speaking of administration growth: I recall one year our program was up
for re-accreditation - a big event, requiring a huge report with tons of
documentation. Of course, we'd done the job six years prior (we were one
of the few programs of our type in our state to get a full six year
accreditation), and of course we had a lot of the "program history"
sections, etc. saved on computer for re-use.

Anyway, I put the final touches on the report just before the deadline
and was ready to walk it to the mail room when I got word that "nothing
is allowed to leave the University until the new officer of *******
proofreads it." What the hell! That was never a rule before!

So I called up said officer and explained this 100+ page report needed
to go out within the next day or two. She asked me to bring it over
immediately, which I did. I walked into her office, and saw her sitting
at a perfectly clean desk. Not one piece of paper was in view.

When I see an empty desk, I think it's much more likely to be evidence
of nothing happening, instead of super-efficient filing. That's just me.

In any case, she found something like an apostrophe out of place in the
text we had used six years ago, so I guess she considered her input
valuable. And I've worked with her since (she's a very nice person) but
her writing is certainly more error-prone than mine.

I'm now friends with the current holder of her position. He too is a
very nice guy. But I wonder what he actually does on the job.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 3rd 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 06:34:44 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 3:42:38 AM UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 18:28:05 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:

Making the apocalyptics look foolish since I was a precocious
teenager with a column in a national newspaper and the apocalypse
du jour was the hole in the ozone layer, which I'm still waiting
to be shown.

"New threat to ozone layer found"
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/new-threat-ozone-layer-found
Are you ready for the war on dichloromethane?

Even the other environmentalists are sneering at them with faint praise: "quite important".

Just follow the funding, which usually follows things that are "quite
important".

NASA Ozone Watch:
https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov

NASA who? I wish them luck. The more false prophets there are, with
the more scare stories tripping over each other, the more bruised
egos in that community, and the greater the growth of disbelief in
scientism among the taxpayers.

Few will agree with a science that produces results against their best
interests or cherished biases. However, they will follow false
profits errr... prophets, when the cause is just and politically
correct, often against their instincts and best interests.

Most of these trashy clowns seeking notoriety all the better to
sink their snouts into the public trough now realize that global
warming is dead (laugh at how they're trying to morph it into
"sudden climate change") and that they need a new "cause" to
have any impact on policy, which is the end aim.

Morphing "global warming" into "climate change" was inspired by a
presidential advisor (who's name I can't seem to recall) that adviced
the Republican party to change terms so that it would appear to be
less threatening. This was done and "global warming" disappeared from
the Republican vocabulary.

As for funding, climate change research is big money and climbing:
https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/climate_change_funding_management/issue_summary
"Federal funding for climate change research, technology,
international assistance, and adaptation has increased
from $2.4 billion in 1993 to $11.6 billion in 2014, with
an additional $26.1 billion for climate change programs
and activities provided by the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act in 2009."

Show me that hole in the ozone layer. I'm asking for the 2137th time.

Well, the NASA site shows the decrease in ozone concentration in parts
of the southern hemisphere. NASA Ozone Watch:
https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov

Australia seems to consider UV exposure a problem:
http://www.bom.gov.au/uv/index.shtml

"Sat tracking of ultraviolet light shows increase since 1979"
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/03/17/sat-tracking-of-ultraviolet-light-shows-increase-since-1979/

Melanoma (UV responsible for skin cancer) in Australia is high and was
on the rise until recently. At the same time, non-melanoma skin
cancer rates are flat:
http://wiki.cancer.org.au/skincancerstats/Skin_cancer_incidence_and_mortality

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 4th 17, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 3:31:46 AM UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Melanoma (UV responsible for skin cancer) in Australia is high and was
on the rise until recently. At the same time, non-melanoma skin
cancer rates are flat:
http://wiki.cancer.org.au/skincancerstats/Skin_cancer_incidence_and_mortality

Poker game in Adelaide, South Australia, circa 1975, not a single native-born Australian in the room. In the break while we're grabbing a drink and a sandwich one guy, a doctor, says to another guy, an insurance agent, "Those Irish you keep selling insurance to, they've got a suicide gene. They've never seen the sun before, they get here, they see the sun, they rip their shirts off and don't put them back on until they have a melanoma the size of my fist on their back." The insurance guy says, "Be difficult to give them up. They're about three-quarters of my commissions." Years later i heard the insurance guy was in trouble with his bosses at the insurance company for insuring too many Irishmen on whom they had to pay out for melanoma-related fatalities.

The rise and fall of Australian melanoma statistics has much to do with the origins of their immigration and little or nothing with any notional hole in the ozone layer.

Andre Jute
A lifetime under hats keeps me looking young
Old November 4th 17, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 16:30:16 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

The rise and fall of Australian melanoma statistics has much to do with the
origins of their immigration and little or nothing with any notional hole
in the ozone layer.

Unfortunately, the skin cancer incidence statistics for Australia
http://wiki.cancer.org.au/skincancerstats/Skin_cancer_incidence_and_mortality
didn't bother breaking down the numbers by country of origin, so I
can't determine if what you say is true. According to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Australians
7,000,000 (30% of the Australian population of partial
Irish ancestry)
80,000 (by birth, 2011)
2,087,800 (self-declared Irish ancestry, 2011; 10.4% of
the Australian population)
The population of Australia in 2016 was 24.13 million.

You might be right. I would guess(tm) that Irish immigration might be
sufficient to skew the skin cancer incidence rate.

"Ireland ranks 14th highest for skin cancer"
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-ranks-14th-highest-for-skin-cancer-1.2720851