Think! Is your car safe?

Old February 19th 10, 07:45 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Think! Is your car safe?

Due to the lack of a response from road safety organisations to the
Toyota crisis and the continuing use of these and other dangerous cars
on our roads, I am suggesting a new road safety campaign.

"Think! Is your car safe?

How do you know the brakes, steering and accelerator will continue
working as they should at all times? If you have any doubts at all YOU
MUST STOP DRIVING IT until your car is checked. The alternative is
that you might kill somebody, especially a vulnerable pedestrian or
cyclist. You know it makes sense!"

http://www.dft.gov.uk/think/
http://www.brake.org.uk/
http://www.rospa.com/

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old February 19th 10, 08:10 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
nightjar

Doug wrote:
Due to the lack of a response from road safety organisations to the
Toyota crisis

Probably because, unlike you, they understand that the actual level of
danger is extremely low.

How do you know the brakes, steering and accelerator will continue
working as they should at all times? ...

I don't. However, I have been in situations where at least one of those
has been wholly or partially inoperative - all three at different times
- and it never caused an accident. Given the infrequency of the events
and the inherent unreliability of the vehicles I was driving then,
compared to what I drive now, it is not something I'm going to lose
sleep over.

Colin Bignell
Old February 19th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 19 Feb, 08:10, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Doug wrote:
Due to the lack of a response from road safety organisations to the
Toyota crisis

Probably because, unlike you, they understand that the actual level of
danger is extremely low.

How do you know the brakes, steering and accelerator will continue
working as they should at all times? ...

I don't. However, I have been in situations where at least one of those
has been wholly or partially inoperative - all three at different times
- and it never caused an accident.

Anecdotal.

Given the infrequency of the events
and the inherent unreliability of the vehicles I was driving then,
compared to what I drive now, it is not something I'm going to lose
sleep over.

I know you won't lose sleep because you don't care but now cars are
also prone to software faults, which they weren't then.

Old February 19th 10, 08:28 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
PM[_2_]

"Doug" wrote in message
Due to the lack of a response from road safety organisations to the
Toyota crisis and the continuing use of these and other dangerous cars
on our roads, I am suggesting a new road safety campaign.

"Think! Is your car safe?

How do you know the brakes, steering and accelerator will continue
working as they should at all times? If you have any doubts at all YOU
MUST STOP DRIVING IT until your car is checked. The alternative is
that you might kill somebody, especially a vulnerable pedestrian or
cyclist. You know it makes sense!"

But according to your sig we're licensed to kill, so it's OK.

Old February 19th 10, 08:42 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 19 Feb, 08:28, "PM" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Due to the lack of a response from road safety organisations to the
Toyota crisis and the continuing use of these and other dangerous cars
on our roads, I am suggesting a new road safety campaign.

"Think! Is your car safe?

How do you know the brakes, steering and accelerator will continue
working as they should at all times? If you have any doubts at all YOU
MUST STOP DRIVING IT until your car is checked. The alternative is
that you might kill somebody, especially a vulnerable pedestrian or
cyclist. You know it makes sense!"

But according to your sig we're licensed to kill, so it's OK.

It may be OK for the killers but not for their victims. Ethics is no a
motorist's strong point.

On the other issue about the level of danger being low, if you check
there have been loads of Toyota crashes since the faults have been
known and the causes may not be fully documented.

Old February 19th 10, 08:44 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Adrian

Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

How do you know the brakes, steering and accelerator will continue
working as they should at all times? ...

I don't. However, I have been in situations where at least one of those
has been wholly or partially inoperative - all three at different times
- and it never caused an accident.

Anecdotal.

Strange, isn't it, how any first-hand claim that anybody makes that
disagrees with you is dismissed as "anecdotoal", yet we're all expected
to believe every single second or third-hand claim you make without any
evidence whatsoever.

Given the infrequency of the events
and the inherent unreliability of the vehicles I was driving then,
compared to what I drive now, it is not something I'm going to lose
sleep over.

I know you won't lose sleep because you don't care but now cars are also
prone to software faults, which they weren't then.

Yeh, well, that's what happens when people decide that, rather than
shock learn how to operate machinery properly, they'll "be safer" by
palming it off on electronic nannies. Sometimes, machinery goes wrong.
Knowing what to do when it does is a fairly important part of being able
to operate it safely.

Fine example :- The Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 is included in
this recall. But only if equipped with either ESP stability control or a
flappy-paddle semi-auto gearbox. If it's a manual-box car without ESP,
then it has a throttle cable instead of fly-by-wire. And the problem is a
mechanical problem in the throttle pedal position sensor for the fly-by-
wire.

As for the Pius - that's what happens when ****wits believe that shoving
some fairly bloody horrible battery chemistry into the arse end of a
thoroughly mediocre car will "save the planet".
Old February 19th 10, 08:45 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Adrian

Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

if you check there have been loads of Toyota crashes since the faults
have been known and the causes may not be fully documented.

Yet this problem has been ruled out of EVERY SINGLE possible case in the
UK. Strange, that.
Old February 19th 10, 09:01 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 19 Feb, 08:45, Adrian wrote:
Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

if you check there have been loads of Toyota crashes since the faults
have been known and the causes may not be fully documented.

Yet this problem has been ruled out of EVERY SINGLE possible case in the
UK. Strange, that.

No really. It could cause massive liability settlements. Besides,
there have been plenty of cases in the USA already. BTW, do you have a
source for your claim?

Old February 19th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Marie

http://www.dft.gov.uk/think/http://w...www.rospa.com/

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Thankyou for the reminder, I have just checked & it is locked up in
the underground garage, so it should be safe & sure.

Marie

Too safe ? Adrian Godwin UK 68 March 24th 09 12:04 AM
Safe Enough ??? Bad ASS MF Australia 1 January 1st 08 05:49 AM
NOS tires -- safe? Matt O'Toole Techniques 10 October 18th 05 08:58 PM
Now that my balls are safe... nxixcxk Unicycling 5 July 17th 05 06:43 AM
Not safe anywhere Tony Raven UK 51 May 4th 05 05:29 PM