Do removable chain links "stretch" more than others?

Old July 31st 05, 11:08 PM
Ron Ruff

Default Do removable chain links "stretch" more than others?

wrote:

Any idea of what was actually said in these posts to help
find them--some phrase or name?

Nope... I was probably surveying the voluminous threads regarding chain
lubrication, some months ago. Pretty much anything and everything can
be found in those. Someone was arguing that their chain actually
stretched because they put so much force on it. I imagine that many
people assume that is what happens when they hear the term "chain
stretch"; not many are well versed in the differences between plastic
and elastic deformation, and elongation due to wear.

But what I *really* want to know... Has anyone used a chain-check tool
on their chain, and can confirm that the Powerlink does *not* wear more
than the others?

Old July 31st 05, 11:23 PM

Carl Fogel writes:

Out of curiosity, can you cite any posts that actually argue that
chains stretch in a plastic sense?

Or is this just myth and lore serving an overwrought pedantry?

Sorry that I may have added to the confusion. Yes, I've seen a few
posts on this NG where the author thought that chains actually
stretched in a plastic sense... but I know better. I put "stretch"
in quotes to indicate that it was a measured lengthening, but did
not explain myself.

The person who contended that the Powerlink wore more quickly than
the others, said he measured it. I suppose it would be possible to
measure with one of those chain-check tools, by checking a section
that includes the link, and comparing it to one that doesn't. If
the difference is very great it should be noticeable... at least by
the time you are getting ready to replace the chain.

Any idea of what was actually said in these posts to help find
them--some phrase or name?

Too bad you joined this newsgroup since then. The FAQ:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

Was written to resolve the chain myth and lore of the past. Exchanges
like the recent ones about head bearing fretting went on at great
length by writers who were convinced they had stretched their chain on
a steep grade. Besides, why do you care. You seem to have a quest to
find a contradiction in anything I have written to wreck.bike in the
past 20 years.

Searching for "stretch" just seems to produce anti-stretch
posts--like you, they use the word because it's convenient and rolls
off the keyboard more easily than "elongate," not because they
believe that chains resemble taffy.

Keep up the good work!

I'm willing to believe that true "stretch" fanatics exist, but I
haven't been able to track one down yet.

Today they are a dwindling tribe but with skill we could recruit new
ones through suitable wording in chain wear postings.

Perhaps someone with an elephantine memory will point me to an
actual post in which the monster exhibits itself, naked and
unashamed.

Hopefully,

I suppose you mean "I hope" or are you afraid to offer even that
opinion? I suppose you could rework that to be a rhetorical question.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 1st 05, 12:50 AM

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:23:49 GMT,
wrote:

Carl Fogel writes:

[...]

Dear Jobst,

Too bad the FAQ just makes the same vague claim without
mentioning anyone specific.

Sorrowfully,

Carl Fogel
Old August 1st 05, 01:57 AM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: You appear to be in favor of
dumbing down English. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I find it amusing that you think I wish to "dumb down" the language, and to
tell me this, you use the term "dumbing down." That's not good English.
That's street slang, and has no more place in a discussion between us than
the term "stretch" in a discussion of chain elongation.

Old August 1st 05, 03:13 AM
RonSonic

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:23:49 GMT, wrote:

Hopefully,

I suppose you mean "I hope" or are you afraid to offer even that
opinion? I suppose you could rework that to be a rhetorical question.

Don't you just hate rhetorical questions.

Ron

Old August 1st 05, 03:58 AM
jim beam

wrote:
Carl Fogel writes:

[...]

but jobst, /lots/ of people contradict stuff you have written. it
happens when you've made the mistake of holding yourself up to be an
expert on a subject on which you are most evidently not. or, er,
"misrepresent" yourself as say "the inventor of stress relief" when in
fact the process you misname pre-dates your birth.

most people, when confronted by their errors, or by subjects outside of
their experience, either accept reality or keep quiet. you do neither.
the fact that the /number/ of subjects on which you choose to
shamelessly make some of these ridiculous assertions seems to know no
bounds is what really draws ire among what you doubtless perceive to be
your protagonists, not merely your lack of reality. but even if the
breadth of your guessing, bluster and f[r]ictional "fact" didn't
provoke, your manner would still.

Old August 1st 05, 05:40 AM
mark

"Ron Ruff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed a post on here awhile back, where the author claimed that the
removable link stretched more than the others on his SRAM chains. He
said that he changed that link several times per chain because of this.
Nobody wrote in to disagree... so I was wondering, does this agree with
others' experience?

My experience with the SRAM link is pretty short. I had one installed
for about 1,000 miles when it blew apart while shifting down in the
front. Luckily, nothing was damaged. I could only find half the link,
but fortunately I had a chain tool with me...

-Ron

I installed a removable link on a Campagnolo 10-speed chain a while back and
found that, yes, it did wear more rapidly than the rest of the chain. This
was determined by using a Rohloff chain gauge to measure different sections
of chain. When I measured a section of chain with the removable link in it I
saw more elongation (or "stretch") than when I measured any section w/o the
removable link in it. I don't recall what brand the removable link was,
though.
--
mark

Old August 1st 05, 10:21 AM
Ron Ruff

mark wrote:
I installed a removable link on a Campagnolo 10-speed chain a while back and
found that, yes, it did wear more rapidly than the rest of the chain. This
was determined by using a Rohloff chain gauge to measure different sections
of chain. When I measured a section of chain with the removable link in it I
saw more elongation (or "stretch") than when I measured any section w/o the
removable link in it.

Thanks, that was the kind of info I was looking for. I'm still waiting
to hear from someone who has measured their chain similarly, and *not*
found greater elongation across the removable link. Maybe no one has?

BTW, I installed the chain clean and new and rode it for 1,000 miles
before the Powerlink blew apart... so I don't really see an excuse for
it.

-Ron

Old August 1st 05, 02:58 PM
41

Leo Lichtman wrote:
wrote: You appear to be in favor of
dumbing down English. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I find it amusing that you think I wish to "dumb down" the language, and to
tell me this, you use the term "dumbing down." That's not good English.
That's street slang

You'll have to justify that, since (a) your version and his do not mean
the same thing (I am in favour of exploring the moon but I do not wish
to explore the moon); and (b) he uses a typical phrasal verb where the
-ing use is that of the typical verb equipped for noun work where the
agent is not specified. I am in favour of paying down the deficit but I
do not wish to pay down the deficit

A problem with gears. Donny UK 105 December 22nd 04 09:10 AM
OK to add links to SRAM chain? Jai Ma Techniques 40 October 13th 04 05:09 AM
Chain stretch and repair links Doki UK 5 April 14th 04 06:53 PM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 01:14 AM
Diff'n between chain oil and chain wax? amesan Mountain Biking 11 July 29th 03 01:27 PM