MUni helps non Rider

Old September 6th 04, 05:43 AM
Brian MacKenzie

Default MUni helps non Rider

We were doing a demo the a week or so ago, and an off duty free lance
(last week of employment at the current local paper) just happened to be
strolling through.

We got to talking about what Uni'ing is all about, and she was really
keen on coming out with us for a MUni section and snapping shots in
order to build her portfolio.

We had a good time, and she said I am welcome to all the shots and will
burn me off a CD of all the pics

So far I have only seen one, but if this is any indication of what's
coming...should be pretty good stuff!

edit: the pic was too big, give me a second

--
Brian MacKenzie - Shades of Scorpius
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old September 6th 04, 05:46 AM
Brian MacKenzie

here

| Attachment filename: sneakpeakresized.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/232956|

Old September 6th 04, 05:55 AM
Brian MacKenzie

I'm not sure how mud got on my pads, I don't ever fall

Old September 6th 04, 06:13 AM
dogbowl

WOW!!!!
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!
Might be the first photo of someone on a uni or muni that actually
captures the feeling of being in the one-wheel.
Your photographer friend totally rules!
Cheers,
Steve

--
dogbowl - Level 0.75--still can't freemount

"Got an urge, got a surge, and it's out of control now. Uncontrollable
urge I want to tell you all about it." --DEVO
dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

Old September 6th 04, 08:00 AM
andrew_carter

That's a fantastic photo. I think it really shows how much
concentration and focus is put on the terrain just in front of the
wheel.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Old September 6th 04, 08:44 AM
Brian MacKenzie

andrew_carter wrote:
*That's a fantastic photo. I think it really shows how much
concentration and focus is put on the terrain just in front of the
wheel.

Andrew *

Which also may have just pointed out why I fall off skinnies so
often...maybe I need to look further ahead

If you look right above my left shin pad, you can see some UW36 damage.
The Roach's protect against this, the KH do not

Old September 6th 04, 12:39 PM
GILD

very kewl pic

it's a pretty easy technique
follow the subject (in this case SOFA) with the camera
ie. keep it in the viewfinder while it moves
and take the pic when the subject is at the desired angle from u
normally directly opposite u
(this will maximize the effect)
depending on shutterspeed (and this will vary depending on the speed of
your subject, and lighting, and f-stop, and, and, and, u need to play
around with these things) the subject will be in sharp focus and the
backround will streak as in the example of SOFA posted above
if u keep the camera stationary, the backround will remain in focus and
the subject will streak, suggesting speed in another way
normally better for taking a pic of a group of riders

another way to get a simmilar effect, but this time from the front, is
to get a camera with a manual zoom lens
the longer the zoom the better
with a pretty pedestrian shutter speed and the zoom-collar on the lens
pushed fully forward, centre the subject and start sliding the
zoom-collar towards the body of the camera as smoothly as possible
about one third of the way thru, click the shutter without interrupting
the zooming action
the result is a pic where the streaky backround seems to radiate from
the subject
varying the speed of the manual zooming action will change the degree of
streaking

i'm sure there must he 100's of ways of generating these, and more
impressive, effects using a variety of software
that's the way we did it in my day...

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

Old September 6th 04, 03:56 PM
billham

Gild

As you siad Gild, the photo was done by panning, but it also looks like
the photographer used a flash. The flash serves a dual purpose for a
shot like this. It provides some fill in lighting for the subject (see
how Brian stands out in the picture?) and it helps to "freeze" the
subject a little more due to the speed of the flash.

Nice picture. It's very hard to make a still photo that can convey the
action in real life.

Bill

--
billham

billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Old September 6th 04, 04:09 PM
GILD

i knew it had a kewl name i just couldn't remember this morning
thanx billham
good point about the flash as well
in the zooming technique i described in my post, would a flash help
achieve similar results as it did in this pic?

Old September 6th 04, 06:04 PM
vivalargo

That's a great shot -- love to have a copy. Better yet, silk screen
some onto t-shirts. Bet that CD you have coming has some even better
ones.

Almost certainly a "flash-fill" pic -- only way to get those hot flesh
tones.

Very nice . . .

JL

--