What is 'Drivetime' and why is it used/

Old April 8th 10, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default What is 'Drivetime' and why is it used/

The term 'Drivetime' has appeared on BBC weather forecasts. Would I be
right in assuming that this refers to the homegoing rush hour? If so
why does it ignore 'cycletime', 'bustime', traintime' and 'walktime'?

Is this yet another example of how the car culture mob are allowed to
dominate almost everything?

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old April 8th 10, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

On 08/04/2010 08:30, Doug wrote:
The term 'Drivetime' has appeared on BBC weather forecasts. Would I be
right in assuming that this refers to the homegoing rush hour? If so
why does it ignore 'cycletime', 'bustime', traintime' and 'walktime'?

Is this yet another example of how the car culture mob are allowed to
dominate almost everything?

You need to get a life, Doug - go for a cycle and relax.
Old April 8th 10, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On 8 Apr, 09:28, Happi Monday wrote:
On 08/04/2010 08:30, Doug wrote:

The term 'Drivetime' has appeared on BBC weather forecasts. Would I be
right in assuming that this refers to the homegoing rush hour? If so
why does it ignore 'cycletime', 'bustime', traintime' and 'walktime'?

Is this yet another example of how the car culture mob are allowed to
dominate almost everything?

You need to get a life, Doug - go for a cycle and relax.

Preferably in the the traffic, with a few Toyota cars!

Derek C
Old April 8th 10, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 8 Apr, 10:14, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
The term 'Drivetime' has appeared on BBC weather forecasts. Would I be
right in assuming that this refers to the homegoing rush hour? If so
why does it ignore 'cycletime', 'bustime', traintime' and 'walktime'?

Is this yet another example of how the car culture mob are allowed to
dominate almost everything?

No, it is a question of quantity of type of vehicle, and their effect on
movement, there are lots of vehicles which are said to be 'driven' at a
certain segment of time each day, therefore it is 'drive-time'. *I have no
doubt that if most of the vehicles were bikes then it would become
'ride-time' and would take far longer.

But I understand that in London, for example, more people travel to
work by means other than a car so why the sudden use of 'drivetime' on
the BBC? Is it because most of the people at the BBC are motorists and
they only think in terms of motoring anyway and have little experience
of other modes of travel? Along similar lines, does the BBC have
extensive car parking facilities, possibly free?

Anyone know?

--
Carfree UK
http://carfree.org.uk/

Old April 8th 10, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_11_]

"Doug" wrote in message news:196c24e9-4eed-4f90-99ab-But
I understand that in London, for example, more people travel to
work by means other than a car so why the sudden use of 'drivetime' on
the BBC?

I would imagine that most people travelling home from london and listeneing
to the radio are in cars.

Is it because most of the people at the BBC are motorists and
they only think in terms of motoring anyway and have little experience
of other modes of travel?

Are they?
Serious question BTW.

Old April 8th 10, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On 8 Apr, 09:48, Doug wrote:
[...]

Only about 2% of journeys in the UK are made by bicycle, so you could
hardly call it 'Cycletime'. Most people who listen to the BBC Radio
weather and travel bulletins are probably doing so on car radios. If
you want the name changed, I would suggest that you write to the BBC,
rather than whining about it on this NG.

Derek C

Old April 8th 10, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_11_]

"Derek C" wrote in message
If you want the name changed, I would suggest that you write to the BBC,
rather than whining about it on this NG.

Good point that man.
Something for you to waste more of your time Doug, if you wrote to all the
'Cycletime' DJs too, I'm sure at least some of them will be read out
(probably with a hint of sarcasm).

Old April 8th 10, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 8 Apr, 10:11, Derek C wrote:
On 8 Apr, 09:48, Doug wrote:

[...]

No I am posting it here because it is yet another example of all
pervasive car dominance, which is a concern for cyclists..

BTW, my mobile phone also receives radio and can be listened to on a
train, bus or bicycle.

Old April 8th 10, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_11_]

"Doug" wrote in message news:fec937ff-6af2-4523-be86-
BTW, my mobile phone also receives radio and can be listened
to on a train, bus or bicycle.

Do you cycle on the roads with headphones?

(even if you do (mad if so IMHO) the vast majority of headphone wearers are
no listening to the radio)