High Barnet to St Albans

Old April 16th 04, 06:26 PM
dannyfrankszzz

Default High Barnet to St Albans

The route I'm talking about is High Barnet, Elstree, Watling Street u
to St Albans, and then across to Hatfield, Potters Bar, and back t
High Barnet

I often cycle this route as it's quite a good distance, quite pleasant
and nice and straight in places to build up some good speed

When I was cycling the route last weekend, and I came up to th
roundabout where the M10, Watling Street and A414 all intersect,
noticed a "Cycling forbidden" sign on the exit from the roundabout o
the continuation of Watling Street up to St Albans

I found this odd because the sign was on the exit to the roundabout

I was just wondering if there might have been any recent accident
involving cyclists in this area that would have prompted the loca
authorities to put a sign up such as this

Thanks

-

Old April 16th 04, 08:50 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:26:03 GMT, dannyfrankszzz
wrote in message
:

When I was cycling the route last weekend, and I came up to the
roundabout where the M10, Watling Street and A414 all intersect, I
noticed a "Cycling forbidden" sign on the exit from the roundabout on
the continuation of Watling Street up to St Albans.

Scene of my most serious prang. No idea when the sign went up, didn't
see it last week, but there used to be a very short track from the
Hatfield side of that exit, which takes you to Coningsby Bank, turn
left onto Watling View, which runs up the hill to Vesta Avenue
parallel to Watling Street.

No doubt the "cycling forbidden" bit is to stop those pesky cyclists
from slowing down the Almighty Car as it grinds up the hill.

I found this odd because the sign was on the exit to the roundabout.

/To/ the roundabout? That roundabout is a complete bugger, due to
clueless half-blind attention deficient ******* in cars - obviously
the only sane thing is to leave them being clueless etc. etc. and
restrict the movement of their victims. Anyone for night curfews for
women to curb rape?

I was just wondering if there might have been any recent accidents
involving cyclists in this area that would have prompted the local
authorities to put a sign up such as this.

Mine were all years ago ;-)

--
Guy
===

Old April 19th 04, 06:58 PM
Richard Bullock

Might this be to do with the M10's re-classification as an A-road??

The M10 had its special road status revoked in January (so it is no-longer a
motorway), as far as I can tell - although the Statutory Instrument which
revoked the special road order is a little vague.

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...3/20033339.htm

It is now part of the A414 Trunk Road - but still has certain restrictions
imposed on it - like no cycling, no agricultural vehicles etc. Maybe the
sign was indended for this road?

Richard

Old April 20th 04, 12:50 PM
zaphod

wrote in message
:

[...]

xposted to uk.local.hertfordshire 'cos it's a local group for local
people ;+)

WTF? I didn't realise there were any 'cycling forbidden' roads (ie not
motorways) in St Albans. St Julian's Hill (which is the road referred
to here) isn't particularly bike friendly- and the roundabout is
certainly challenging- but that's no reason to ban bikes.

Old April 20th 04, 01:10 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

zaphod wrote:

St Julian's Hill (which is the road referred
to here) isn't particularly bike friendly- and the roundabout is
certainly challenging

Shurely Marlborough Hill? ;-)

(showing my age)

--
Guy
===

Old April 21st 04, 01:22 PM
zaphod

zaphod wrote:

St Julian's Hill (which is the road referred
to here) isn't particularly bike friendly- and the roundabout is
certainly challenging

Shurely Marlborough Hill? ;-)

(showing my age)

Really? OS map shows it as St Julians.

(feeling my age after sprinting *far* too hard up the hill on the way
to work.) No...not *that* hill.