Friction 10s?

Old April 5th 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Friction 10s?

Hi All,

I have a TT bike which has Shimano 9s bar ends. I have now also some
wheels which I would like to use which only accept a 10s cassette. I
don't feel like buying new 10s bar ends, nor monkeying with a
shiftmate.

How difficult is it to use Shimano 10s with bar-ends in friction mode?
This is a TT bike which will be going (hopefully) fast such that I
won't be able to hear the chain.

I could of course just try it, but the bike isn't fully assembled and
rather that finish it in a way that may not work isn't something I
want to use time on now. Plus I don't have a 10s chain lying around.

Joseph
Old April 6th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

No reason it shouldn't work... the span of a 10spd cassette is
slightly less than a 9spd.
Old April 6th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 6, 3:02*am, Ron Ruff wrote:
No reason it shouldn't work... the span of a 10spd cassette is
slightly less than a 9spd.

So the 9s spacing is close enough to 10s spacing that if I test
friction mode with 9s and find it acceptable, 10s should be
essentially the same?

The bike has a 9s chain on it and I have no extra pins to put it back
on if I remove it, so I don't want to borrow a 10s chain (with a
Wipperman link) from another bike to test.

Joseph
Old April 6th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

" writes:

So the 9s spacing is close enough to 10s spacing that if I test
friction mode with 9s and find it acceptable, 10s should be
essentially the same?

Yes. If your last experiences from friction shifting are from the
5s/6s era (like mine were until a few years ago when I took my time
repairing a brifter), you'll probably notice that it is a bit trickier
with the closer spacing, but certainly still doable.
Old April 6th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 6, 9:00*pm, (A R:nen) wrote:
" writes:
So the 9s spacing is close enough to 10s spacing that if I test
friction mode with 9s and find it acceptable, 10s should be
essentially the same?

Yes. If your last experiences from friction shifting are from the
5s/6s era (like mine were until a few years ago when I took my time
repairing a brifter), you'll probably notice that it is a bit trickier
with the closer spacing, but certainly still doable.

I jumped from 6s friction to 10s brifters about 3 years ago. Never had
any issues with friction. I'll give it a go. And with this TT bike my
hands are on the shifters the whole time so small adjustments
shouldn't be too much of a hassle, like they might be if they were on
the D/T.

Joseph