New Road Bike Ideas

Old August 7th 04, 06:42 AM
RWM

Default New Road Bike Ideas

I am starting the process of investigation for a new road bike. I am a big
guy, 260 lbs, who puts in a lot of mileage. My two main road bikes are a
2002 Klein Quantum Race and a 2002 Cannondale CAAD 4. Both are built up
with Ultegra.

I had a severe spinal injury in the past, and have a long fusion, so I ride
with a tall stem and 26 mm tires for a more comfortable ride. I like my
bikes but both have a very similar ride and I am pretty beat up after a ride
of five or six hours. I love to climb but want to make sure that I don't
get into the "stupid light" category. In the quality/price trade-off I am
more on the quality side of the equation. I am looking for suggestions of
brands & models that you have had good experiences with. If you have any
ideas, I would love to hear them.

Old August 8th 04, 02:39 AM
hobby

I have a steel frame custom made Landshark, with a Carbon fork that is
fabulous. I'm 74 and have a bad back too. The steel is more shock
absorbing than was my Carbon Fiber or Aluminum frames. I live in the
mountains and my Landshark is a 'triple' ring Campy group equipped bike.
It has 32 spoke wheels for a big guy over six feet. It has an elevated
stem as well.

I recommend Gary Hobbs at he carries over 300 'brand name'
frames and can build with either Shimano or Campy groups. And his prices
are affordable, because he is a retired guy who works at his own pace. He
can build a bike the way you want it or can order you an affordable steel
frame bike that does not weigh a ton; but, will carry your frame. Check out
his web site
http://gvhbikes.com/

Tom

Old August 8th 04, 07:11 AM
RWM

"hobby" wrote in message
[...]

That is great information. I was thinking that steel or carbon would be the
way to go. I have neevr had a good steel or carbon bike. I owned a few
relatively cheap steel bikes before getting the aluminum bikes that I have
today. What kind of carbon bike do you own?

Old August 8th 04, 08:15 PM
hobby

I don't own any Carbon bikes now, sold them as it was too stiff and the
vibration in my hands, wrists and elbows was too tough for my old hands to
hold on to. Carbon fiber is very responsive; just too hard on my joints.
The TREK 5200 and/or 5500 are both good carbon frames; my friends have them
and are happy with them; but they are younger than me and don't have
arthritis in the hands and wrists.

What I own now is the Landshark, that was actually built initially for Gary
Hobbs, who is 6'2' and over 200 and about age 62? It has what some would
call a touring frame, in that the geometry is more relaxed; and, I love it.

My other road bike is a very light weight steel Pegoretti made in Italy,
with all Campy componenets, special made for the Las Vegas show a few years
ago. Its a jewel to behold (Gary carries some of these frames as well).
New it probably cost around $4200 as now equipped; but, a young guy needed a
$1000 bucks to go to Alaska last Summer with his buddies. I bought it
within an hour of it being listed on ebay. So that's a place to look also,
once you know what you want.

The most steel bike for the money is the Gary V Hobbs custom made light
weight steel bike. Gary has these custom made to specs under his name;
from a well know custom frame builder. I ordered one of these for my 6'3"
retired doctor friend who is 76yrs old with a special stem tube extension,
longer rear stay, etc. with a great carbon fork and all Campy components.
He loves it. He has a neck problem and the higher stem mount makes it
possible for him to continue to ride.

Good luck on whatever you get.

Tom

Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM