Biking on icy roads

Old January 18th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Biking on icy roads

On 2018-01-17 08:49, Andy wrote:
Decided to see how cycling on icy roads would be.

Not too bad using a mountain bike.

Try it on a fat bike. More fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Sounds like you two were not on icy roads. Maybe you were on snowy roads. Icy roads mean ice is on the road. Slick ice. Rubber tires cannot work on ice roads. You have to use studded tires on ice roads.

We know what ice looks like. :-)

Of course rubber tires work on icy roads.
Traction is severely reduced.

Andy
Old January 18th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 18/01/2018 9:07 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/17/2018 7:14 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 2018-01-17 08:49, Andy wrote:
Decided to see how cycling on icy roads would be.

Not too bad using a mountain bike.

Try it on a fat bike. More fun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Sounds like you two were not on icy roads.Â* Maybe you
were on snowy roads.Â* Icy roads mean ice is on the road.
Slick ice.Â* Rubber tires cannot work on ice roads.Â* You
have to use studded tires on ice roads.

That is ismply not true. Every winter I ride my MTB
withvregular big knobs 2.125" tires (26" wheels) on ice
even on black ice. WIth the air pressure in the tires
reduced a lot the rubberr on my tires does allow me to
ride safely on ice. Like I said in my other thread, I've
even ridden my MTB on a black ice teporary outdoor skating
rink that the city builds in the winter.

I mostly agree; ice that is dry (not "dry ice"), e.g. when
it is much colder than 32 degrees F (0 degrees C), has some
grip to it.Â* Not much, but some.Â* I saw plenty of this in
Colorado.

Ice that is wet, i.e. residual ice when ambient temp is
above freezing, and it's raining - I wouldn't try that
without studs.Â* This is more typical in Oregon.Â* I have a
studded front wheel I can swap in quickly.

You stay off the front brake and you watch your speed.

Yeah, when it works, that's how to do it.Â* Use a bigger gear
so you can't apply much torque to the rear wheel and break
it free.

-Mark J.

Not so much in Louisiana:
http://www.wdsu.com/article/icy-cond...siana/15328353

People in Louisiana have no concept of cold and aren't prepared for it.
They can tell you how to drive/ride etc. in wet though.

My family came to Québec for the Christmas holidays to see real snow.
Unfortunately, we had high temps of ~ -25C most of the time they were
here. They kept texting people pictures of the thermometers...
Old January 18th 18, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

news
On 2018-01-17 08:49, Andy wrote:
[...]

colder than 32 degrees F (0 degrees C), has some grip to it. Not much,
but some. I saw plenty of this in Colorado.

Ice that is wet, i.e. residual ice when ambient temp is above freezing,
and it's raining - I wouldn't try that without studs. This is more
typical in Oregon. I have a studded front wheel I can swap in quickly.

My part of the UK had snow a few weeks ago - it was just hard work till it
started raining.

Old January 19th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:39:18 -0800, Joerg
On 2018-01-17 08:49, Andy wrote:
Decided to see how cycling on icy roads would be.

Not too bad using a mountain bike.

Try it on a fat bike. More fun.

Having ridden a few fat bikes, I don't get the attraction for general
riding on the streets, etc.

Those things are chick magnets :-)

Though on streets they are hard to ride, lots of wasted energy because
the fat tires can't take more than 30psi or so of pressure. On trails
they aren't so great either because such tires are vulnerable.

... But there are circumstances in which they
excel and riding on icy snowy roads would be one.

Oh yeah, it sure is. Downhill it is sometimes necessary to lock up the
front wheel for a few seconds and, if not balanced well enough, have
both feet out. That helps accumulating a little snow pile in front of
the wheel which improves whatever wee brake forces there can be.

Old January 22nd 18, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

How to Prevent Falls https://nyti.ms/2En9fmG

Where's countersteeing with yawl ? Or mostly dirt track ?
Old January 23rd 18, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-01-22 06:32, wrote:
How to Prevent Falls
https://nyti.ms/2En9fmG

Where's countersteeing with yawl ? Or mostly dirt track ?

Countersteering is usually the worst you can do on a bicycle. MTB riders
develop the right instinct or "muscle memory" over time, to let the bike
find its way instead of forcing it.

Old January 23rd 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ice ?
Old January 23rd 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/22/2018 9:06 PM, wrote:
Ice ?

Yep, plenty today. But it's not cold.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

The best editorial I have ever read about the "cult of biking"(especially mountain biking)... Mike Vandeman[_4_] Mountain Biking 0 February 9th 13 04:44 PM
Roads are for cars only! stratrider Recumbent Biking 9 October 1st 06 01:24 AM
So Cal Roads [email protected] Rides 0 January 13th 05 05:39 PM
Roads Gone Wild Pete Bentley UK 21 December 13th 04 01:34 PM
When running, walking or biking on roads at night wear reflective (or at least white) clothing He Who Walks General 12 December 13th 03 03:17 AM