Obstructions

Old August 22nd 17, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Obstructions

On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

--
JS
Old August 22nd 17, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:01:01 +1000, James
wrote:

On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

But no mountain lions ?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 22nd 17, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 7:01:07 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

--
JS

I had to look up echinda. Dang, that will puncture your tires. Do you have Schwalbe Marathon Echinda-Guard tires?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 22nd 17, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

But no mountain lions ?

No. No broken chains fixed with rock and nail either. My rim brakes
worked fine too, and I didn't rip any big holes, or little holes in my
tyres.

Boringly event free!

--
JS

Old August 22nd 17, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/08/17 13:46, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 7:01:07 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

I had to look up echinda. Dang, that will puncture your tires. Do you have Schwalbe Marathon Echinda-Guard tires?

Yes, if you ran over one it would be bad for your tyres I suspect. I
can't say for sure, never having tried.

--
JS

Old August 22nd 17, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

But no mountain lions ?

No. No broken chains fixed with rock and nail either. My rim brakes
worked fine too, and I didn't rip any big holes, or little holes in my
tyres.

Boringly event free!

Perhaps you could have an encounter with a Cassowary to regale us
with. Never mind the lions ya'll got snails that can kill people.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 22nd 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 10:01:07 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

I once had a groundhog - or maybe a woodchuck* - run along beside me as I was
on a ~25 mph downhill. He'd come out from my right & turned parallel to me just
a foot or so from my path as I passed him. I was very worried he'd turn left
under my wheels, but he somehow gathered the sense to turn right again.

(* or maybe a whistle pig.)

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 22nd 17, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

But no mountain lions ?

No. No broken chains fixed with rock and nail either. My rim brakes
worked fine too, and I didn't rip any big holes, or little holes in my
tyres.

Boringly event free!

Come here and ride the trails. The only thing that concerns me a bit are
rattlesnakes. Lately I encountered three. One I accidentally ran over
with the MTB, the other two I evaded. A big one was daring me which is
unusual behavior. The sneaky part is that many are no longer in the
habit of rattling to announce "intent to pounce".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 22nd 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

You aren't seriously telling a guy from Australia that it's more
dangerous to ride in California because of the snakes are you? lol
Old August 22nd 17, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I know they've got far more venomous snakes there but AFAIK not rattlers
lying around almost in an ambush position. It's a real problem on some
trails here. One of the risks is that you might lose part of a leg to
necrosis (requiring amputation).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Obstructions [email protected] Techniques 336 October 18th 11 01:11 AM
obstructions lite Dan O Techniques 5 June 27th 10 01:47 PM
Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City Mike Jacoubowsky General 201 February 9th 08 06:36 PM
Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City Tom Sherman[_2_] Social Issues 188 February 9th 08 06:36 PM