Natchez Trace Info

Old October 24th 05, 01:55 AM
Beverly

Default Natchez Trace Info

I'm considering a car/bike trip along the Trace next year. I've bought a
couple books on the subject and both warn about the poison ivy in the area.
I'm hoping someone who has traveled in the area can give me first hand
information on the subject. Is it a real problem or can I assume if I'm
careful I can avoid it?

TIA
Beverly

Old October 24th 05, 03:37 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:55:28 GMT, "Beverly"
wrote:
I'm considering a car/bike trip along the Trace next year. I've bought a
couple books on the subject and both warn about the poison ivy in the area.
I'm hoping someone who has traveled in the area can give me first hand
information on the subject. Is it a real problem or can I assume if I'm
careful I can avoid it?

If you can stay away from green things you might avoid it. I killed
two patches in my yard (about 60 miles from the Trace) this year,
seeds probably dropped by birds. If it's a climbing vine, there's at
least a 50% chance it's poison ivy.

Wash with soap and water, and bring calamine.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old October 24th 05, 02:15 PM
Beverly

wrote:
I'm considering a car/bike trip along the Trace next year. I've bought a
couple books on the subject and both warn about the poison ivy in the area.
I'm hoping someone who has traveled in the area can give me first hand
information on the subject. Is it a real problem or can I assume if I'm
careful I can avoid it?

If you can stay away from green things you might avoid it. I killed
two patches in my yard (about 60 miles from the Trace) this year,
seeds probably dropped by birds. If it's a climbing vine, there's at
least a 50% chance it's poison ivy.

Wash with soap and water, and bring calamine.

Pat

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have severe reactions to poison
ivy. All encounters with it end up with prescriptions of Prednisone

I still think I'll do the trip and just be extremely careful. I'll be
sure to carry my Tecnu products and a prescription in case I need it.

Beverly

Email address works as is.

Old October 25th 05, 10:12 PM
Roger Zoul

Beverly wrote:
:: I'm considering a car/bike trip along the Trace next year. I've
:: bought a couple books on the subject and both warn about the poison
:: ivy in the area. I'm hoping someone who has traveled in the area can
:: give me first hand information on the subject. Is it a real problem
:: or can I assume if I'm careful I can avoid it?

The Natchez Trace Parkway? What parts of it? The entire length?

I've driven parts of that route many, many times....if you're riding on the
road, I should think staying clear of ivy should be easy if you know what it
looks like and don't venture too far off road? Are you going to be camping
or hiking? I think you'd have to be very careless to get in
trouble....unless you plan on doings lots of hiking.....stopping at the
various lookout points might be an issue...but on the parts I've been on,
they keep it pretty tidy.

Old October 26th 05, 12:10 AM
Beverly

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Beverly wrote:
[...]

We plan on traveling the entire length of it by car and doing short daily
bike rides. My daughter will be with me and her limit is around 10-15
miles. No camping as I've never been able to find that tent with hot/cold
running water and a flush tioletg

I definitely know what the stuff looks likeg I've had this problem since
childhood and I'm now a senior citizen. I'll just be extra careful when we
leave the road to visit different places or take a short walk.

Thanks
Beverly

Old October 26th 05, 11:55 PM
Roger Zoul

Beverly wrote:
: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

Please be sure to report back. I've driven that route for years (not all
the time, but consistently), but I've never seen a cyclist on there.

Unicon 2006- info online sarah.miller Unicycling 36 December 2nd 05 06:26 AM
SC Fringe 21 speed supercycle or krane info Dude Harry Mountain Biking 2 July 12th 05 01:10 AM
Natchez Trace Tom or Mary Rides 6 June 8th 05 01:10 AM
Tours to "The Tour" J.L. Franklin Racing 4 August 12th 03 05:28 AM
Tours to "The Tour" Mike Jacoubowsky Rides 3 August 12th 03 05:28 AM