Recommendation for a good hybrid bike

Old February 17th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Recommendation for a good hybrid bike

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
What bike do you recommend and why.

I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so durability
is also high on my list.

Thanks in advance,
-Pete

Old February 17th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

pj wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
What bike do you recommend and why.

Go to all of your local bike shop(s) and look at the under $400
hybrids. Write down what model/brand of components they have. When
you compare your list you will likely see all of the bikes priced the
same ($250 or $350) have the same shifters and derailleurs. And all of
the other parts are branded/made by the bike company. From this you
can conclude the bikes are all pretty much the same. I'm guessing all
of the house brand bike components in the world are made by the same
factory in China. There is really no best value at this price point
because all of the bike companies are competing on price and have wrung
every bit of excess cost and profit margin out of the bikes to get them
to the price point they can sell them to new bicyclists and then sell
them lots of expensive helmets and shorts and shoes and gloves with
high profit margins. Bike shop makes $20 on the bike and $80 on the
gloves, shoes, helmet, shorts. They are happy. And even if you end up
paying 20% too much for the bike, you are only out $50. For most
people, not a life and death amount.

So, go find a shop you like. One that treats you nice. One that seems
competent. Lets you ride the bike on a long test ride. Tries to fit
you correctly. Hopefully you know what fits you. And has a bike that
looks good. No point in buying a bike you don't like the looks of when
there are lots of nice looking bikes.

For best value, buying one of the hybrid bikes from Performance when
they have their 20% coupon and rebate going may be the best. Assuming
you are a competent bike mechanic. Or maybe best of all is to find a
used hybrid for sale locally. I'm sure there are lots of people who
start with a hybrid and then decide they want something different and
don't want the cheap hybrid taking up space in the garage. I have a
friend who sold his decent Giant hybrid to another friend for $100
after he bought a nice road bike. The Giant had a computer and
clipless pedals already installed.

Many bike shops and bike clubs have free want ads either in the store
or monthly newsletter. Just ask and you might find a used hybrid real
cheap and easy.

Old February 17th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
What bike do you recommend and why.

I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so durability
is also high on my list.

Thanks in advance,
-Pete

Durability has little to do with the bike you choose. It's more a
matter of proper initial build, use and maintenance.

Why do you specify an aluminum frame? In you price range, that will
exclude some good choices. Perhaps you assume that an aluminum frame
will result in a lighter bike, but that is not at all necessarily so.

And that word "hybrid". Usually it means flat bars, 700c wheels with
fat tires, a huge squishy seat, and a sit-up-and-beg riding position,
which means a bike designed for slow rides in a park. Yuck. I'd
suggest you look at the many light roadsters now available with flat
bars (I'm assuming you prefer those), which will be more comfortable and
speedier.

--
Ted Bennett
Old February 17th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Ted Bennett" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
What bike do you recommend and why.

I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so
durability
is also high on my list.

Thanks in advance,
-Pete

Durability has little to do with the bike you choose. It's more a
matter of proper initial build, use and maintenance.

Why do you specify an aluminum frame? In you price range, that will
exclude some good choices. Perhaps you assume that an aluminum frame
will result in a lighter bike, but that is not at all necessarily so.

In that price range, an aluminum frame will most definitely be lighter.

And that word "hybrid". Usually it means flat bars, 700c wheels with
fat tires, a huge squishy seat, and a sit-up-and-beg riding position,
which means a bike designed for slow rides in a park. Yuck. I'd
suggest you look at the many light roadsters now available with flat
bars (I'm assuming you prefer those), which will be more comfortable and
speedier.

For who? Maybe for you it may be more comfortable, but the vast majority of
recreational riders don't need a flat bar road bike. In addition, many have
fused neck vertebrae and back problems that prevent them from riding in a
more aero position.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 17th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

pj wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup, but I'd like to ask for your opinion:

I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
What bike do you recommend and why.

I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so durability
is also high on my list.

Thanks in advance,
-Pete

Hey Pete,

I own a hybrid, a Raleigh, it's a great bike for around town rides. I
own the c200 aluminum model, it's a bit more than your stated budget,
but I have 3,000 miles on mine with only 1 punture flat, 1 replaced
chain, and two broken spokes, caused by being forced off the road while
on a 1,200 mile tour. It's not listed on the Raleigh site any longer,
but here are the other models they offer as hybrids:
http://www.raleighusa.com/depts.asp?deptid=7

Also when I was looking at hybrids, I looked at Trek bikes. The 7100
series is right in line with your budget. They are fine bikes, I went
with Raleigh only because they had a good deal on them at the shop where
I bought it. Here is the hybrid line from Trek:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1312600&f=25

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old February 18th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil Lee, Squid-in-Training wrote:
For who? Maybe for you it may be more comfortable, but the vast majority of
recreational riders don't need a flat bar road bike. In addition, many have
fused neck vertebrae and back problems that prevent them from riding in a
more aero position.

My (occupational) back injury does not prevent me from riding in a
highly aerodynamic position using flat bars.

--
Tom Sherman

Old February 18th 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"pj" wrote in message
I'm looking to purchase a good aluminum hybrid bike in the $250 - $360
range. I'm wanting the best value in this range (in the United States).
What bike do you recommend and why.

I ride a lot of miles per year, but not many in a single day, so

durability
is also high on my list.

My wife has a 2002 Specialized Crossroads that cost maybe $260 (on sale, I
think). It's not astoundingly heavy. She rides it every day, 8miles or so.
I reckon it has 5000miles on it at least now, chain has been kept adequately
lubed, and it's had very little trouble:
- Chain, cassette and BB all replaced very recently for the first time. Not
bad lifetime for chain and cassette, although it was definitely use "to the
death"...
- Wheels have never gone out of true (Alex rims on Specialized hubs, I
think), no broken spokes. She's about 160lbs, so no featherweight.
- I'm inclined to think the front tyre is still original equipment
- At least 3 sets of brake pads replaced, one set of brake cables
- Handlebar grips went all sticky and got replaced fairly recently.
- Suspension seat post came unscrewed once that I had to fix for her.

I think it's holding up very well on the durability ticket. Then again,
so's my late 80s Gitane with Columbus tubing, except the rear rim gave out a
year ago.

Old February 20th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi Simon,

My current hybrid is an OLD steel Crossroads. I'm fairly happy with it
except it weighs a fair bit and I've run the pookey out of it so it
will need a fair bit of maintenance in the near future. My thought was
that I could avoid the maintenance costs and use that money for a
partial payment towards a new lighter bike. I've checked out Raleigh,
Ibex, Trek 7100 and 7200, and Specialized Crossroads Sport. A local
dealer has a pretty decent deal in a leftover 2005 Crossroads Sport and
at the moment, I'm leaning in that direction, mainly because of that
deal. If I found similar deals on the other bikes I mentioned, they
might be on the top of my list, but at the moment the 2005 Crossroads
Sport seems to top my bang-for-the-buck list.

If anyone has any pro's or con's concerning the Crossroads Sport,
please speak up, I'm very interested in getting your opinion.

Best Regards, and thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts,
-Pete

Old February 20th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I've been really happy with Raleigh's SC series. You'll have enough
money left for fenders and lights.

Old February 20th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Adam Rush" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been really happy with Raleigh's SC series. You'll have enough
money left for fenders and lights.

I have a Raleigh SC tandem, fine but for the supplied tyres, which both had
sidewall failures under 1000miles.