SiS 6speed cog to 7speed cassette

Old February 20th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Revised Question: SiS 6speed cog to 9/10 cassette

Read the whole thread and you should be able to figure it out.
:-)
Greg

Old February 20th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The previous comment was intended only to Mr. Press and not to Mr.
Lucci.

To Mr. Lucci - this setup should work fine for you.

Hope I was able to clarify and wasn't providing too much information.
Mr. Press's comment made me pause to think that perhaps I was.

Greg

Old February 20th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
.com,
"only1gear" wrote:

Read the whole thread and you should be able to figure it out.
:-)

I do not know what you are talking about.

--
Michael Press
Old February 20th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default SiS 6speed cog to 7speed cassette

John L. Lucci wrote:

I'm considering picking up a new (actually there lightly used with 600
miles on them) set of wheels for my '88-'89 Specialized Sirrus; however,
it's equipped with the original Shimano 105 SIS six speed freewheel. Would
it be possible to run a seven speed cassette with my original deraileur and
shifter's if they're set to friction mode?

Your bike is a seven Shimano index now? The wheels you're
buying are six speed?

You seem to use the words 'freewheel ' and 'cassette'
interchangeably. They are different.

If it's a Shimano six cassette you'd have to rebuild the hub
with a new cassette body, cassette and an axle. Then re
center the rim over the locknuts.

If it is indeed a freewheel you could likley respace the
axle, add a couple of spacers, get a seven freewheel and
just re center the rim over the locknuts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 20th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi Andrew!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I want to do is get a new wheel set;
however, in the process I would like to modernize the bicycle. The bike is
currently set up with "first flight" Shimano 105 SIS drive train ( its 2 X 6
I have two chainwheel's on the front and on the back I have a six speed
freewheel). I don't have the money to replace everything in one fell swoop
that is to buy the new wheels set, switch out the derailleurs, gear shifts,
and chain. So what I want to do is get the new wheels (which would come
with a 10 speed cassette on the back) and switch my existing gear shift over
to friction shifting while I'm using the the new wheels, but still be able
to switch back to my original wheels for use on the trainer or situations
where I would not want to be using the new wheels.

Old February 20th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"John L. Lucci" wrote in message
"Simon Cooper" wrote in
:
Your 6-sp 105 is likely just a regular uniglide freehub and could be
replaced with 7-sp uniglide cassette if you could find one, or you can
replace the freehub body and fit hyperglide. I assume the rear hub is
a model 1050?

I would have to check. Where would I have to look to find the model?

They're marked around the edges of the hub body. Look at this:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/swcooper/105Hub.jpg
There's some indication of text on the plastic part between the axle and
cogs, on the other end it's usually clear. Says something like FH-1050.
There's a good description of what you'd need to do he
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

If the model 1050 is the original 105 group then yes that's what I have.
It's the first generation SIS that was released the same year with the

Probably. I think the next gen are FH-1055 or similar.

Well, this is what I'd like to do. I would like to piecemeal the project
by first getting the 9/10 speed wheels and keep everything else the same.
I know I will have to turn off SIS indexing when I'm using these new

wheels
and I might have to replace the chain. Can I get away with this?

You will need a wider axle for 8+speeds. That will involve bending the
frame a little to make it fit. Look for past threads on doing this, often
called "cold setting".

Friction shifting lots of cogs is usually advised against, as the cable
travel from one to the next gets shorter as the number of cogs goes up.
Then again, if you really want to do it, you can probably get 8/9/10sp
downtube shifters for cheap enough. A Tiagra 9sp brifter:
http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...ils&sku=LD4432
is just over $100.