Interesting eBay auction

Old July 20th 04, 04:54 PM
Pyromancer

Default Reasons not to use "instant" redirect sites (was: Interesting eBay auction)

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Dr Curious
gently breathed:

If instead you use tinyurl -

http://tinyurl.com/

then unlike with qurl and makeshorterlink you don't
get a redirect screen in the middle. Which is neat.

It's anything but neat - it's a massive security hole. With the other
two you get a chance to find out where the link is going to take you
before you are actually sent there and thus have a chance to back out if
the real URL looks "dodgy", "non-work-safe", "not in front of the kids"
or whatever.

With services which don't warn you where you're going first there's a
huge risk of being maliciously directed to a scam, hardcore pr0n site,
or just about anything else.

But is probably also why relatively people see to know
about tinyurl.

Members of one of the groups I read actively discourage people from
using it for the reason's I've outlined above.

NP: Manowar - Call To Arms.
--
- Pyromancer Stormshadow.
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk -- Pagan Gothic Rock!
Old July 20th 04, 05:08 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Pyromancer writes:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Dr Curious
gently breathed:

If instead you use tinyurl -

http://tinyurl.com/

then unlike with qurl and makeshorterlink you don't
get a redirect screen in the middle. Which is neat.

With services which don't warn you where you're going first there's a
huge risk of being maliciously directed to a scam, hardcore pr0n site,
or just about anything else.

Or indeed something which would attract the attentions of the
law. That would be unpleasant.

But is probably also why relatively people see to know
about tinyurl.

Members of one of the groups I read actively discourage people from
using it for the reason's I've outlined above.

Indeed, I'd only click it with people I trust.

Old July 20th 04, 06:16 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Default Interesting eBay auction

Jon Senior wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ry=72573&item=
3688720388&rd=1

Even if the frame is sh*t, if the price doesn't rise too much it'd be a
good way to buy a 105 groupset.

But it will...all the serious bids come in the last 30 seconds.
Old July 20th 04, 07:10 PM
Jon Senior

Zog The Undeniable opined the following...
Jon Senior wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ry=72573&item=
3688720388&rd=1

Even if the frame is sh*t, if the price doesn't rise too much it'd be a
good way to buy a 105 groupset.

But it will...all the serious bids come in the last 30 seconds.

I know but it's worth watching none the less. I'd be interested myself
but I've already got the same groupset on what is (I suspect) a better
frame! Between that and the auction for a Giant TCR frameset you could
potentially get a high quality road bike for considerably less than the
actual item normally costs.

Jon
Old July 20th 04, 07:16 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:27:42 +0100, "Dr Curious"
wrote in message
:

I'll tell you something though Nankerville, originality doesn't
exactly appear to be your strong suit somehow, does it?

Said the man who apparently thinks deliberately spelling others' names
wrongly is original...

Its my little "joke of the week", actually Guy.

How thay all laughed. Nearly.

And a sight more original that trailing the same sig around
behind me for more than five years, I'd imagine.

Who cares. A sig is just a sig.

But then for someone without the courage to ever actually say what
they mean, it would be something of a necessity I'd have thought.
Even on a cycling group.

I'll say what I mean if you like: you're a ****wit.

First up you simply repeated parrott fashion everything MacClancey
said about me. That I'm a "****wit" and that I'm "paranoid"

But did he say anything contentious?

But Ambrose did apologise.
So are you claiming Ambrose was wrong to aplogise then ?

Ambrose can do what he wants.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 20th 04, 07:19 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:56:33 GMT, Graeme
wrote in message
:

Don't cancel the order, I'll have it. It'll do perfectly for my larger than
life effigy. I needed something to provide just the right level of shine to
the top of the head ;-) And don't get me started on all those walruses that
I needed to slaughter to replicate that 'tache. :-)

Whassat? Are you impyling I'm a slaphead? Not so!

Old July 20th 04, 07:20 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:12:43 +0100, "Dr Curious"
wrote in message
:

Another Curiously clue-free assertion. Leader? I'm just
zis guy, you know?

Nope. All the minions who are otherwise unsure of themselves
address their posts through you. And you reward them with a
reply. It's quite noticeable.

Hmmm. You really are a ****wit, aren't you?