Stolen bikes - Police/ sheriff's database

Old March 26th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Default Stolen bikes - Police/ sheriff's database

On Mar 26, 11:46 am, "G.T." wrote:
"Scott Gordo" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 26, 12:36 pm, "G.T." wrote:
Duncan wrote:
"G.T." wrote in message
JD wrote:
Are we on for the subterranean match sprints tonight? Anyone else in
SoCal want to meet us?

We had our own inaugural storm water drain drag races last friday
night.
It's hardly rained for three years here but that night it opened up.
Drenched the home made timing devices and burst the banks just as the
final
(non-timed) drag was run. The winner had to dodge the rising water.
Still, looking at the photos we all seemed to have fun:
http://www.fyxomatosis.com/news.php?readmore=554
The theme was 'drag'. I expected to get slaughtered on my 60 something
inch
fixed MTB but when the drag was shortened to 1/8th mile I had a change
of
fortune :-)

Nice! Looks like you guys had even more fun than us. I snapped this
one:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

The lineup for
qualifying:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

Festivities were over at 2:30am. We even had an assist by the meter
maid, first time in my life that a meter maid did something nice. She
was patrolling downtown, saw us in the tunnel, watched for a bit to
figure out what we were doing, then proceded to cone and flare off each
end of the tunnel so the finals went unmolested by cars. The meter maid
was
cool:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

Thankfully the cops were as cool as the meter
maid:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

One or two drunks drove into the tunnel but got scared and turned around
after seeing this motley collection of
fools:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

The
awards:http://midnightridazz.com/viewPhoto....artistId=156&p...

Full gallery:http://midnightridazz.com/artist.php...Id=156&pgnum=1

Greg

Nice! I can almost smell the skinny vegan biker/radical b.o.

Add in a little hefeweizen puke and stale urine and you definitely got the
smell down.

Was JD moving too fast for your camera to capture?

Yep, he was just a blur. Literally. I'll post the best one tonight. I was
still getting the hang of lowlight photography when he went off.

Not quite fast enough though. It would seem as if I need to practice
my standing starts...a lot. Otherwise I was somewhat blurry, at least
according to the video cameraman at the finish line. He seemed very
surprised that I didn't make the cut for the top dozen times.

I wasn't planning on riding and it's a good thing I wasn't, here's what I
posted on r.b.t.:

"...my 25 year old tires finally gave out in a spectacular fashion.
After doing a ride on the fixed gear earlier yesterday I jumped on it to
ride over to the subway at 9:15 last night. I was heading to the 1st
2nd St Tunnel Drag Races in downtown LA. After getting situated on the
subway at the North Hollywood station, the train was actually pretty
full, and before we got to the Universal stop, there was a sudden and
very loud bang in the car. All the gangbangers on the train hit the
floor. I just stood there looking dumbfounded. But I checked my tires
and sure enough the rear was flat.

After arriving at the 3rd St Tunnel I started to fix my flat. When I
pulled out the tube I found a rather large starburst hole. I checked my
rim tape, rim, and tire but didn't see anything obvious. I proceeded to
put another tube in and pump it up. As soon as I got to full pressure
another pop, not so dramatic this time. Damn, I pull the tube out,
patch it, really examine the rim because the starburst punctures were
close to the inside of the tube, find nothing, so put the tube back in.
This time I only pumped it up to 60psi or so just so I could get home
and examine it later.

However, I finally noticed my problem when I was getting a beer out of
the backpack leaned up against my bike. There was a 5 cm split in the
tire right next to the bead. Thankfully it was the rear and thankfully
it hadn't given out on one of my previous rides.

One thing I know. I will probably no longer use 25 year old tires."

On closer inspection the whole bead is tearing from the rest of the tire.

JD's gotta pop in here with his tire story.

Talk about JRA. We had just finished killer chorizo & egg burritos
and were pedaling back to Greg's and out of nowhere "BANG". Those old
Arayas on the SLF aren't hooked and apparently the bead decided to
slide for no friggin' reason other than a lazy turn. I was very glad
it didn't decide to do that at 30+ mph in the tunnel. It coulda been
ugly.

As a weird post script, after getting back in my 'hood I rode up near
the mom's place to a bike shop I knew was open on Sunday to get
another tube. I headed over to In N Out afterwards, using all
sidestreets and 'sploring around on the bike a bit more to get there.
Once there I ordered and sat down to wait on my cheeseburger (with
grilled onions of course) and vanilla shake. This tall blonde walks
up to get some ketchup near where I was sitting and it was my mom's s/
o's stepdaughter (long twisted story). I said, "Hey, I know you.",
having met her a few times over the years at family gatherings and she
said, "Yeah, so?" It was then I realized that the fresh #4 buzzcut I
just got on my way to the bike shop probably confused her and I told
her who I was. "Oh yeah, I know you...howzit goin?", with a
completely differrent tone, body language and attitude. My mom's
cooking probably dictated all of that. I'm sure we'll have a laugh
about our encounter on Easter Sunday when Prime Rib is happening at my
mom's.

JD

Old March 27th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Mar 26, 12:36 pm, "G.T." wrote:
Duncan wrote:
"G.T." wrote in message
JD wrote:
[...]

Greg- Hide quoted text -

Hah! That sucks. Surprising that you didn't notice a flat spot while
riding.

So you're in the market for some 27s, eh? I just looked it up on
Sheldon's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

Go down to the NOS Avocet FasGrips. If you and JD split the 10 for
$199, you should both be set for a while....

/s

Old March 27th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
ups.com...

So you're in the market for some 27s, eh? I just looked it up on
Sheldon's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

Go down to the NOS Avocet FasGrips. If you and JD split the 10 for
$199, you should both be set for a while....

Nice, but I think I'm just going to go for some nice cheap fat 1 1/4"
blackwall Bontragers. Or the similar Cheng Shins they have at Walmart.

Greg

Old March 27th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 27, 10:56 am, "G.T." wrote:
"Scott Gordo" wrote in message

ups.com...

So you're in the market for some 27s, eh? I just looked it up on
Sheldon's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html

Go down to the NOS Avocet FasGrips. If you and JD split the 10 for
$199, you should both be set for a while....

Nice, but I think I'm just going to go for some nice cheap fat 1 1/4"
blackwall Bontragers. Or the similar Cheng Shins they have at Walmart.

Greg

My rims are Araya, but not hook edge type so those tires won't work
for me. Old Skool drools in that respect. I may go for some of those
1" Panaracers just fo "event" use though. The 1 1/4" Bontrangers I
have on SLF work really well and are even wearing well too. They're
cheap too at $10 a pop. They're also a little fat for going fast, so
a 1/4" size change down on racedays should be more than negligible.

JD can't see Greg setting foot in a wallyworld

do police stations still sell recovered bikes? 2nd hand bikes Maurice Wibblington UK 11 September 19th 06 09:23 AM
Stolen Bikes dardruba Mountain Biking 0 July 7th 05 10:21 PM
Police Bikes David Waters UK 14 June 6th 04 10:51 AM
Stolen bikes Al. Australia 3 December 5th 03 02:40 AM
Melb police on bikes! Earhole Gringo [not his real name] Australia 14 August 21st 03 07:22 AM