Typical BC Mountain Bikers Destroying Rainforest for their Own Sick Pleasure

Old September 17th 08, 02:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Typical BC Mountain Bikers Destroying Rainforest for their Own Sick Pleasure

From: [a friend]

Rarely does on come across something so intelligent and eloquently
put. Give this guy several kudos! This one needs to be in your files,
Mike.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show....php?p=3949814
Mountain Bike Vandals Digging Up Woodland

At the top of Beauchief Drive, which runs from Abbey Lane down by
Beauchief Abbey, past Beauchief Hall and up to Bradway at the junction
between Hemper Lane and Bradway Road, there is a rather pleasant
wooded area with some nicely tended fields – the council keeps them in
good condition and local walkers and children enjoy the woods and the
paths and fields. It can be seen from the top of Hemper Lane.

Some irksome degenerates have decided over recent months that it is
their own personal mountain biking area. They have turned the place
into a veritable building site, carving deep runs into the hillside
and constructing jumps and berms as they have made their own course
through the woods.

I don’t just mean that they’ve worn a rut – they have actually been
out, clearly in numbers and with equipment, and made elaborate (and I
would grudgingly admit impressive) constructions to make their course.
I can understand that they’re not mugging old ladies or doing drugs,
but they’ve carved up a delightful little wood, destroyed a lot of the
natural bluebell beds and have their runs crossing the main footpaths,
often used by old folks and people with toddlers.

Bizarrely, I have never seen them digging or using the cycle path,
only the results of their excavations. Had I come across them
red-handed at any time, I would have inserted their tools where the
sun doesn’t shine without the benefit of lubricant.

This morning while walking my dogs, I came across a group of residents
toiling away to correct the latest vandalism. These incredibly selfish
cyclists have now dug up the top corner of one of the fields with a
series of S-bend trenches stretching back for about 30 or 40 yards
into the filed, in a corner which had been set aside from grass
cutting to allow wildlife to take shelter. What was a pleasant
natural-grassed refuge for voles and butterflies now looks like the
Somme.

If anybody living in the Greenhill/Bradway area knows who these
degenerates are, or if they have come over from the Low Edges sink
estate to commit their vandalism, please tell them to pack it in. I
will be walking the area more frequently over the holiday weekend,
including late and early hours, and they will rue their actions if I
come across them.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old September 17th 08, 02:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

I read that article three times, and found no indication there was a rain
forest involved.

You are such a liar.

Old September 17th 08, 06:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
M. Halliwell

Your "friend" and his knuckle-dragging desire to be violent is duly noted.
Old September 17th 08, 08:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Sep 16, 9:28*pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
I read that article three times, and found no indication there was a rain
forest involved.

You are such a liar.

Destroying a rainforest, that would be forest as in trees? Did they
ask your advice you self admitted tree destroyer?
Old September 17th 08, 02:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bluezfolk

On Sep 17, 12:15*am, "M. Halliwell" templetagteam@shawdotca wrote:
Your "friend" and his knuckle-dragging desire to be violent is duly noted..

Wow, it looks like theres a whole network of these assholes out
there. Be nice if they'd start their own NG and keep off of this one.
Old September 17th 08, 05:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote in message
On Sep 16, 9:28 pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
I read that article three times, and found no indication there was a rain
forest involved.

You are such a liar.

Destroying a rainforest, that would be forest as in trees? Did they
ask your advice you self admitted tree destroyer?

I'm not a tree destroyer.

Indeed, I'd wager that I've done more to save a few trees than you. I've
actually volunteered to do trail maintenance, and I adopted a trail in my
local National Forest and did trail repairs on a trail that has been on the
ground more than 120 years.

A forest and a rain forest are not even close to being the same thing,
except both have trees.

Old September 17th 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Sep 17, 12:59*pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 16, 9:28 pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

I read that article three times, and found no indication there was a rain
forest involved.

You are such a liar.

Destroying a rainforest, that would be forest as in trees? Did they
ask your advice you self admitted tree destroyer?

I'm not a tree destroyer.

Indeed, I'd wager that I've done more to save a few trees than you. I've
actually volunteered to do trail maintenance, and I adopted a trail in my
local National Forest and did trail repairs on a trail that has been on the
ground more than 120 years.

A forest and a rain forest are not even close to being the same thing,
except both have trees.

NOT you... sorry. Mike Vandeman told us not long ago he destroyed
trees to build tree forts as a teen. therefore by mike's def. once a
mtber, always a mtber...once a tree destroyer always a tree
destroyer...he's a horrible vile person.
Old September 17th 08, 06:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

wrote in message

[...]

destroyer...he's a horrible vile person.- Hide quoted text -

That *******!
Old September 17th 08, 06:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

wrote in message

On Sep 16, 9:28 pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

I read that article three times, and found no indication there was a rain
forest involved.

You are such a liar.

Destroying a rainforest, that would be forest as in trees? Did they
ask your advice you self admitted tree destroyer?

I'm not a tree destroyer.

I have to teach magua how to propely quote!

Indeed, I'd wager that I've done more to save a few trees than you. I've
actually volunteered to do trail maintenance, and I adopted a trail in my
local National Forest and did trail repairs on a trail that has been on the
ground more than 120 years.

I know that you realize by now he meant to reply to Vandeman, but I do
know he has planted probably close to a hundred trees this summer in
various places.

Old September 18th 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:25:02 -0700, Mike Vandeman

From: [a friend]

[...]

Piano wire the illegal trails.

ted