Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Old May 9th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 2018-05-09 02:24, Roger Merriman wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:21:02 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

Theodore Heise wrote:

:Someone noted elsethread the great variation in user requirements,
:and the choice between dynamos and rechargeables is certainly
:affected by them. I need a light only infrequently, so for me a
:dynamo would largely be wasted weight and clutter on the bike. On

Ah, but it would just work. Get on the bike, and ride. a rechargable
light would have to be found, put on the bike, and discover the
batteries are dead.

Assuming you own an automobile, what do you check before you go for a
ride or drive? Got enough gasoline? Fluid levels within limits? Tire
pressure look normal? Engine warning light on? For fanatics, does
the add-on OBD II display panel show anything unusual? Having driven
rolling wrecks during college, walking around the vehicle to see what
has fallen off or was stolen in the night was a regular ritual.

Same with my bicycles. Do you check the air pressure in your tires
before riding? I don't, but I give the tires a good squeeze as a
crude pressure check and pump as needed. My favorite mistakes are a
loose quick release, a loose nut from an unfinished repair, and my
folding pedals in the folded position. I take a quick look at the
frame and gears for any sign of damage. I check for my seat bag of
tricks, which contains tools, parts, munchies, and a few dollars.

Batteries do not provide a visual or mechanical indication of SoC
(state of charge), but you can add something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-ion-Charging-Battery-Voltage-Capacity-Percent-Level-LED-Indicator-18650/181692946263
Some headlights have a similar indicator built in. I use a DVM
(digital voltmeter) instead.

More problematic is the tail light, which usually runs on alkaline AA
or AAA cells. I haven't seen one with a SoC indicator and would not
expect to see one as the added circuitry and display would probably
cost more than the tail light. So, I run the alkalines until they
die, and carry a few spare NiMH cells which I rotate as needed. With
LSD (low self discharge) NiMH cells, they remain mostly charged for
months.

While just jumping onto the bicycle and going for a ride is a nice
thought, the reality is that we all do some manner of pre-flight check
before riding. So, why is it so painful to add a headlight battery
test to the checklist?

For the fun bikes I probably would check the pressures and so on, for
lights less, so more likely just fit the lights which are generally have
charge at least enough for a few rides.

The commute bike though has two rears which I use until one looses charge,
and then charge.

Good policy. Too often I see cyclists with only one rear light and it
can barely squeeze out a couple of lumens because the batteries are
exhausted. My road bike even has three, plus a large refector on the rack.

... Similar with the front light, but in generally lasts
longer since it has run time of a day on low, so though I do use it as a
day light, and commute hrs per week is 12hrs.

I do agree though since most people change into cycling gear, that worrying
about putting a light on isn’t much of a hassle really.

I cycle in whatever I happen to have on. For people like me who are
sensitive to man-made fibers a cycling buddy recommened these cargo shorts:

https://www.costco.com/Unionbay-Men's-Wyatt-Stretch-Cargo-Short.product.100378415.html

They contain a minimal amount of Spandex which makes them slightly
elastic but at least for me they don't cause a skin rash. I bought
three, wearing one right now, they are great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 9th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:

1. Hardly any bike or wheel set in America has a hub dynamo. So you have
to buy new spokes and spoke it in.

Horrors!!

Or more seriously: Too bad you a) can't find a wheel for sale using this
internet thing; and b) aren't competent at wheel building.

Your usual premature conclusions. I am very particular about what
quality wheel I want. I know how to build a wheel but I don't want to
do it. Simple, really.

2. When you get to an intersection, traffic light or whetever where you
need to stop many of these lights eitehr go out or they enter a "stand
light" mode which is rather dim.

Seriously, you're terrified of someone hitting you from the _front_
when you're
at a traffic light? Geez...

I know you don't understand these things but there are drivers who
come tearing around on a left turn cutting across the "empty" left
turn lane of the road on the left. To the point where the yellow lines
have worn.

Those people annoy me too. I don't see how lights help much in that
situation, though, unless you have side marker lights. Reflective
material on the side might help: Reflective tire sidewalls or
reflective striping on the fenders.
Old May 9th 18, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:

[...]

2. When you get to an intersection, traffic light or whetever where you
need to stop many of these lights eitehr go out or they enter a "stand
light" mode which is rather dim.

Seriously, you're terrified of someone hitting you from the _front_
when you're
at a traffic light? Geez...

I know you don't understand these things but there are drivers who
come tearing around on a left turn cutting across the "empty" left
turn lane of the road on the left. To the point where the yellow lines
have worn.

Those people annoy me too. I don't see how lights help much in that
situation, though, unless you have side marker lights. Reflective
material on the side might help: Reflective tire sidewalls or
reflective striping on the fenders.

Turn the handlebar slightly to the right, then they see the full 800
lumens. That does the trick.

I don't even have to because my lights contain an aftermarket diffusor
lens throwing off a good +/-45 degree beam horizontally. Most commercial
bicycle lights are too narrowly focused so it is good to buy one that
can be modified.

Old May 9th 18, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Joerg writes:

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I don't get it. If you're on a bike stopped behind the limit line, a left turning car would have to go out of its way to hit you -- and would probably whack some island or other piece of street furniture. I've never seen that happen. At an uncontrolled intersection, I could see a left-turning car hit you after you had entered the intersection. E.g.: http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/pbcat_us/...s/pngs/212.png

I'm sure Joerg has an anecdote where thousands of unlit persons were killed by left turning cars. All the dyno using people in NL and elsewhere are in horrible danger -- particularly if they are not wearing sunglasses, which it is now "unwise" to ride without.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 9th 18, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Joerg writes:

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

This shows it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIA940no0uA

Happens all the time out here.

I'm sure Joerg has an anecdote where thousands of unlit persons were
killed by left turning cars. All the dyno using people in NL and
elsewhere are in horrible danger

Danger, sometimes yes. I've had close calls but not terribly close.
However, like many other risks that can be reduced with lights so I use
lights. Never had a close call with the MagicShine clones. They see me
much better.

The daytime running lights cost me about $0.01 worth of electricity per
ride. I find that very well invested.

... -- particularly if they are not
wearing sunglasses, which it is now "unwise" to ride without.

1. My sister knows a road bike rider who had a bee smack into an
unprotected eye on a fast descent. He almost lost that eye. I had some
sort of large insect hit my sunglasses while zipping down Hollow Oak
towards El Dorado Hills at 40mph, leaving a bloody splat.

2. Doesn't have to be tinted for sun protection. However, a good friend
of ours developed melanoma in her left eye. The eye had to be surgically
removed. Then it turned out it had already spread into the spine, legs,
liver and into the other eye. No chemo anymore because its past the
point where that would help much, so end-of-life plans had to be made :-(

Old May 9th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/9/2018 7:36 AM, Joerg wrote:

Your usual premature conclusions. I am very particular about what
quality wheel I want. I know how to build a wheel but I don't want to do
it. Simple, really.

I have purchased several dynamo wheels online, with SP and Shimano hubs.
They were not high quality wheels. They were $100-130 each. Higher-end
wheels are available for significantly more money.

I know you don't understand these things but there are drivers who come
tearing around on a left turn cutting across the "empty" left turn lane
of the road on the left. To the point where the yellow lines have worn.

The issue I see is that serial red light runners are most common on left
hand turns. When you're going straight across on a bicycle, you really
want to have a proper light of sufficient intensity to discourage that
sort of behavior.
Old May 9th 18, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-09 13:04, sms wrote:
On 5/9/2018 7:36 AM, Joerg wrote:

Your usual premature conclusions. I am very particular about what
quality wheel I want. I know how to build a wheel but I don't want to
do it. Simple, really.

I have purchased several dynamo wheels online, with SP and Shimano hubs.
They were not high quality wheels. They were $100-130 each. Higher-end
wheels are available for significantly more money.

If my rims are up I won't have them swapped anymore but likely will buy
the Vuelta road set from Nashbar that Jay recommeneded. No hub dynamo.

I know you don't understand these things but there are drivers who
come tearing around on a left turn cutting across the "empty" left
turn lane of the road on the left. To the point where the yellow lines
have worn.

The issue I see is that serial red light runners are most common on left
hand turns. When you're going straight across on a bicycle, you really
want to have a proper light of sufficient intensity to discourage that
sort of behavior.

Same for hurried people thinking they can just step on it and screech
through their left turn while I am coming from the opposite side. That's
how I had my first crash as a kid, into the right rear fender of a
Mercedes 300SL. Needless to say, the driver committed a hit-and-run felony.

Such attempts have also become less frequent since I have these bright
lights.

Old May 9th 18, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Joerg writes:

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Well, a measly 800 lumens might scare off wimpy Cameron Park
mountain lions but you just need more power to intimidate an
alligator:

http://ktla.com/2018/05/08/mother-2-...olina-highway/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 9th 18, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Joerg writes:

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Well, at least I understand what you're getting at. It's funny, because I have an intersection just like that going into my neighborhood. I could say that I sit there every night, but I don't -- I typically cut-over to the sidewalk, or blow the light. https://tinyurl.com/y86srn25

My standlight would be enough to get noticed, and in fact, the intersection is so well lit that I probably don't need any light. With giant California intersections, things may be different.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 9th 18, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Joerg writes:

On 2018-05-08 20:23, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

That would be a prime spot for corner cutting, especially after
"liberalizing" pot in California.

I sometimes have to blow such left-turn light because these %&@$!!
traffic engineers aren't sufficiently clever to provide loops that are
sensitive enough even for a steel frame road bike.

My standlight would be enough to get noticed, and in fact, the
intersection is so well lit that I probably don't need any light.
With giant California intersections, things may be different.

Like this example:

https://goo.gl/maps/LSfTz2cUyNy

Though here cyclists aren't allowed to turn left because they are
prohibited from using Highway 50.

My road bike has 3W and 8W settings, plus blink at 8W but that annoys
people so I don't use it. 3W is usually ok but in heavy traffic or when
too many drivers behave badly it goes to full bore.