Riding uni vs. biking no hands?

Old November 1st 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hoshnasi

Default Riding uni vs. biking no hands?

My Nimbus comes today, it is my first uni and tonight with be my first
attempt in riding one. I ride road bikes and fixed gears bikes mostly.
When riding the fixed I mostly ride no hands. Are there any
similarities in riding a bike no hands and a uni? I am assume left and
right control to a degree could be similar. The bikes added wheel
provides tons of the forward and backward stability though.

Thanks everyone!

(If that his been covered I am sorry. I had a hard time using search
terms that would yield good info.)

--
hoshnasi
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

From my experience in doing both, they are completely different.

Being able to ride from point a to point b with no hands on my bike
didnt help me at all, not even when I would stand up on the frame, and
just fly down hill. That one is a fun trick. lol

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

There is not much similarity in terms of feel or technique between
riding a road bike no handed and left-right balance on a unicycle.

The closest similarity is that maintaining balance while no handed is
about moving the bike under you to correct for balance. Same on a
unicycle. It's all about moving the wheel to keep the wheel under you.
It's not at all about moving your upper body to keep your body over
the wheel. So in that sense the technique is similar but feels
completely different on a bike and unicycle.

Riding a bike or unicycle is not like walking on a tightrope. On a
tightrope you correct your balance by moving your upper body. On a
bike and unicycle you correct your balance by moving the bike
underneath you.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Being used to learning physical stuff makes it easier to learn to ride a
unicycle, but the skills of riding a unicycle and riding a bike no
handed are pretty much unrelated. Other than that they're both fun!

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

john_childs wrote:
Riding a bike or unicycle is not like walking on a tightrope. On a
tightrope you correct your balance by moving your upper body. On a
bike and unicycle you correct your balance by moving the bike
underneath you.

Upper body balance corrections can be helpful when doing trials
unicycling.

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

I've been riding uni for 6 years, I can just about ride a bike no hands
in a straight line if i don't pedal. 'Nuff said.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

I could no hand a bike (not very well on the stright flat) befor
unicycling and now I can go round conreners. So I would say that there
is a small conection.

--
thejdw

I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

I say NO connection at all...
I cannot ride a bike with no hands for any distance at all - i have
tried but just cant do it.
The whole '2 wheel should be easier' theory is WRONG!!!!! I feel its
the front wheel that throws me out of balance the most, along with the
thought of the handle bars out the front.
my 2 cents.
Peace.

--
mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

phlegm wrote:
Upper body balance corrections can be helpful when doing trials
unicycling.

That's because in trials it's all about adding extra constraints to the
riding. If you're doing a stillstand up on a post or riding along a
rail you can when riding around in an open flat parking lot.

I will accept your correction and counter by saying that balancing on a
unicycle out on the road or in the gym is about moving the wheel so the
unicycle stays underneath you rather than moving your upper body to
stay above the unicycle. When you start doing things like trying to
ride very very slowly, do stillstands, or ride along narrow rails, then
the balance gets to be about moving the upper body to stay above the
wheel. That's quite a different beast and balance like that is a whole
different ball game.

How's that for a serious response to a sarcastic post.

Old November 1st 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

It's definitely a little easier to get into unicycling if you can ride
no-hands than if you can't. Consider yourself 1/360th of the way there.
Only 359 other degrees of motion left!

Okay to be honest, the bike gives you two (left and right). Taken in
pairs, that means you only have 179 more degrees to learn. Much better!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com

hands? habbywall Unicycling 12 July 25th 05 05:34 AM
Hands up! BruceA Australia 2 July 7th 05 08:27 AM
Science Proves that Mountain Biking Has Greater Impacts thanHiking and Horseback Riding SuperG Mountain Biking 0 June 4th 05 06:08 PM
Science Proves that Mountain Biking Has Greater Impacts than Hiking and Horseback Riding Gary S. Mountain Biking 1 June 2nd 05 02:47 AM
No hands riding Per Elmsäter Techniques 33 April 11th 05 08:36 AM