Don't make Lance Mad

Old August 5th 04, 08:45 PM
Bob Schwartz

Default Don't make Lance Mad

Stewart Fleming wrote:

The 800 lb. elephant in the room than no one is acknowledgeing is that
Lance is almost certainly a surrogate target for European citizens angry

By the way, an 800-lb elephant is quite small. Typically a 1-year old
male African elephant is 1000lbs.

You know lot about elephants. Do you know the air speed velocity of
a fully laden swallow?

Bob Schwartz

Old August 5th 04, 08:50 PM
Stewart Fleming

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Stewart Fleming wrote:

The 800 lb. elephant in the room than no one is acknowledgeing is that
Lance is almost certainly a surrogate target for European citizens angry

By the way, an 800-lb elephant is quite small. Typically a 1-year old
male African elephant is 1000lbs.

You know lot about elephants. Do you know the air speed velocity of
a fully laden swallow?

No, but I can sell you some missiles that will shoot down any swallow at
any velocity.

Old August 5th 04, 08:53 PM
gwhite

"K. J. Papai" wrote:

How do you yourself, Jonathan, get motivated to race then?

He remembers all the times he got bitch-slapped by an american.
Old August 5th 04, 08:57 PM
benjo maso

"alex" wrote in message
The estimates for the number of Jews murdered during the holocaust is
(source Goldhagen's "Hitler's willing executioners"):

100K Netherlands
134-141.5K Germany.

so in proportion the number was much higher in the Netherlands

But proportionally the higherst numbers must have been:

2900K-3000K in Poland
550K-569K in Hungary.

My undertanding is that of the ones that were involved in the conflict
supporting or being invaded by the German army, only the Danish and the
Italians did not collaborate.

Eh... Italy under Mussolini was Hitler's ally and took anti-semitic measures
years before it was occupied by Germany. And although the attitude of the
Danish king was exemplary there were of course Danes who collaborated. About
Holland, between 2 to 5 % was collaborating far beyond the call of duty,
another 2 to 5 % was to some extent associated with the resistance and the
rest did as if nothing was happening.

Benjo Maso

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:49:09 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
while it's certainly reasonable to think there may be an antisemite
somewhere in the Netherlands, I would say that your country's history
speaks for itself with regard to its history of protecting the Jews

from
the Nazis.

Er, I think behind Germany itself, Holland the highest percentage of the
Jewish population deported, mainly because of efficient bureaucrats. Our
famous tolerance may have it roots in indifference.

Old August 5th 04, 10:02 PM
Tom Kunich

"Chris" wrote in message
. ..

"Raptor" wrote in message
After wading through nearly two hours of Lance Commercial re-runs, they
finally get to the new stuff.

"Yesterday was for all the German fans who spit on us all the way up
Alpe du'Huez. They were spittin', yellin', cussin', screaming. Kloden
attacked... Then I remembered a couple lugies in the face and I said,
'No, he can't win. He's not supposed to win.'"

That is really nasty. I would understand his reaction, but then a few
moments (if that) later I would remember that it was not Kloden that spit

at
me. Also, maybe Lance needs to spend a little more time with the real
cycling legends to see what they had to endure.

McReynolds often writes really funny stuff like this. Why we're to believe
that Lance should have let someone else win. And then he tops if off by
letting us know that the only person in history to win 6 Tours de France
(and to cap it off by them being consecutive!!!) is NOT a cycling legend.

Chris, you really need to gain some perspective or change to a sport more in
your line like World Wresling Mania.

Old August 5th 04, 10:03 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

alex wrote:

The estimates for the number of Jews murdered during the holocaust is
(source Goldhagen's "Hitler's willing executioners"):

100K Netherlands
134-141.5K Germany.

so in proportion the number was much higher in the Netherlands

I am by no means a scholar of the Holocaust. But it is reasonable (to
me) to think that a larger proportion of German jews left the country
between the time Hitler came to power in 1933 and the beginning of the
Holocaust.
Personally, I have a tough time believing in either collective guilt or
collective virtue. And for my flippant comment about the Swedes (which
I have heard from Europeans) there was of course Raoul Wallenberg. So
there was plenty of blame to go around, and plenty of good people--in
all the countries.
For that reason, I think complaining about Lance as some kind of avatar
of American accomplishment or military adventurism is wrong. He's just
a very gifted, accomplished individual who has triumphed over enormous
personal obstacles. For me, that is quite enough!

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old August 5th 04, 10:03 PM
Tom Kunich

"Chris" wrote in message
. ..

Yeah, that is what sports are all about. Getting back at fans.

Well, according to you it's all about giving away victories.

Old August 5th 04, 10:04 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Bob Schwartz wrote:

Stewart Fleming wrote:

The 800 lb. elephant in the room than no one is acknowledgeing is that
Lance is almost certainly a surrogate target for European citizens angry

By the way, an 800-lb elephant is quite small. Typically a 1-year old
male African elephant is 1000lbs.

You know lot about elephants. Do you know the air speed velocity of
a fully laden swallow?

Laden with what?

Steve

Bob Schwartz

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old August 5th 04, 10:07 PM
Tom Kunich

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" wrote in message

I don't think he is a hero, and I don't think he's clean. But Benjo Maso's
post has reluctantly convinced me, so we both hope he doesn't get caught.
Which is the same in a practical sense.

Tell me, why is it that so many others are being caught doping but somehow
Lance isn't? How is it that Rumsas got caught? Even though he KNEW he was
under a microscope he got caught? Could it POSSIBLY be because there's no
such thing as undetectable drugging?

Old August 5th 04, 10:11 PM
Tom Kunich

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:49:09 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
while it's certainly reasonable to think there may be an antisemite
somewhere in the Netherlands, I would say that your country's history
speaks for itself with regard to its history of protecting the Jews from
the Nazis.

Er, I think behind Germany itself, Holland the highest percentage of the
Jewish population deported, mainly because of efficient bureaucrats. Our
famous tolerance may have it roots in indifference.

I worked with a Netherlander who was always very gentle and very sad. He
described once, in great detail how as a member of a Dutch force they had
murdered every man, woman and child in a 100 square mile area in Indonesia
because they were accused of being communists. As time went on he became
sadder still.

LANCE ARMSTRONG'S BID FOR COVETED SIXTH TOUR DE FRANCE FOILED Richard Longwood Racing 6 June 28th 04 03:06 AM
Armstrong's Solicitors Visit Emma B. Lafferty Racing 5 June 19th 04 05:27 AM
Lance and Bicycling Michael Zaharis Racing 44 February 21st 04 02:22 AM
Lance movie Callistus Valerius Racing 60 January 7th 04 02:22 PM
Lance and Sheryl On The Cover...... B. Lafferty Racing 101 November 16th 03 08:22 AM