Don't make Lance Mad

Old August 6th 04, 03:25 AM
B. Lafferty

Default Don't make Lance Mad

wrote in message
"B. Lafferty" writes:

Somewhat ironic, isn't it, that someone not supportive of a government

winds
up in uniform, in combat (maybe not?) fighting for that government?

I've
read what books are available in English on Coppi, Jean-Paul Ollivier's
being the most extensive, and have not seen Coppi's military situation
discussed other than that he was drafted and a POW. Can you provide any
additional info on the politics of Coppi, if any?

Ausendre, Jacques

Fausto Coppi

London: Bromley Books, 1999. 157 pp. Photo biography of the great Italian

racer.

--
le vent a dos, Davey Crockett
http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

Yes, indeed. I have it. Thanks.

Old August 6th 04, 03:58 AM
Tim Lines

gooserider wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
. ..

"gooserider" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
om...

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
.com...

That is really nasty. I would understand his reaction, but then a

few

moments (if that) later I would remember that it was not Kloden

that

spit at

me.

But letting Kloden win would satisfy the fans that spit at you/him.

Yeah, that is what sports are all about. Getting back at fans.

I guess there are two ways to react to fan harrassment--

1) Quit
2) Use it as motivation

Obviously Lance used #2.

Obviously you missed a lot of other choices.

Like--

3) Ignore the loogie dripping off one's face
4) Get off the bike and knock the crap out of somene

Please elaborate as to how you would react to people spitting on you and
calling you all sorts of vile names in a race.

5) Give up, take your bike and go home.

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply
Old August 6th 04, 05:44 AM
Pete

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:

Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:

There are different ways of motivating yourself, and trying to prove
oneself is a method worthy of more respect than just trying to make
others miserable. But then again, if Armstrong emptied a machinegun
at the fans there would probably still be people defending him, so
these discussions don't really matter.

2) Who would defend him, the Branch Davidians? Why would you take
such a gratuitous swipe at his fans?

Because Jonathan's another one of those U.S. hating Euroidiots.

---

Old August 6th 04, 05:51 AM
Pete

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:

The 800 lb. elephant in the room than no one is acknowledgeing is that
Lance is almost certainly a surrogate target for European citizens
angry at U.S. political and military policy. While this is
understandable (and probably unavoidable) this part of the Lance
antipathy is unfair to him.

Steve

Bingo!

---

Old August 6th 04, 05:58 AM
Pete

SMMB wrote:

Fair!?!? He is selling his nationality which entails an immediate
connection to the realpolitik of that nation. Don't use the USPS
backing, or national identity, and you'd see less harassment,
politically. You don't see (even in this forum) any sense that
people root against Hamilton, Hincapie, Landis, etc., etc., just
because they're Americans. If it's directed at Armstrong, in Europe,
it's directed personally at him. And that's fair or not, according
to what you may wish to believe, or the values that your cherish.

Bull****. If Hamilton had just won his sixth TDF, he would be subject to the
same Euro antipathy Armstrong is subjected to now. Europeans can't stand the
fact that an American dominates the world's preeminent cycling event.

---

Old August 6th 04, 06:34 AM
Raptor

Chris wrote:
"gooserider" wrote in message
.. .
I guess there are two ways to react to fan harrassment--

1) Quit
2) Use it as motivation

Obviously Lance used #2.

Obviously you missed a lot of other choices.

(I'm the OP.) Not a Lance disciple, just a huge admirer. Bobke has said
"Don't make Lance mad," a few times, and I just thought it was worth
posting the quote. Glad to have sparked a lively discussion.

What other productive ways are there to react to fan harrassment?
Especially during a sprint, anger is a very powerful motivator.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old August 6th 04, 08:37 AM
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"Sierraman" schreef in bericht
I don't think he is a hero, and I don't think he's clean. But Benjo

Maso's
post has reluctantly convinced me, so we both hope he doesn't get

caught.
Which is the same in a practical sense.

Can you repost that?

It was this post in the 'doping makes you more professional' thread:
http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl...rlin.de#link15

Jonathan.

Old August 6th 04, 08:41 AM
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"Tom Kunich" schreef in bericht
nk.net...
"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" wrote in message

I don't think he is a hero, and I don't think he's clean. But Benjo

Maso's
post has reluctantly convinced me, so we both hope he doesn't get

caught.
Which is the same in a practical sense.

Tell me, why is it that so many others are being caught doping but somehow
Lance isn't? How is it that Rumsas got caught? Even though he KNEW he was
under a microscope he got caught? Could it POSSIBLY be because there's no
such thing as undetectable drugging?

Lots of people have never tested positive - you can also wonder why Millar
never did, for example, or Frigo. And besides, there are so many testimonies
of people who have heard Armstrong admit that he uses dope, which has
convinced me that he does. Also, most riders who get caught and admit what
they did claim that to be one of the best, you need to use at least some
banned substances, if only for recuperation. And I think they are not lying.

Old August 6th 04, 09:00 AM
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"Bob Schwartz" schreef in bericht
Stewart Fleming wrote:

The 800 lb. elephant in the room than no one is acknowledgeing is that
Lance is almost certainly a surrogate target for European citizens

angry

By the way, an 800-lb elephant is quite small. Typically a 1-year old
male African elephant is 1000lbs.

You know lot about elephants. Do you know the air speed velocity of
a fully laden swallow?

An American or a European one?

Old August 6th 04, 09:13 AM
Tim Lines

Raptor wrote:

What other productive ways are there to react to fan harrassment?
Especially during a sprint, anger is a very powerful motivator.

That's pretty much the point here, isn't it?

At least one poster finds it reprehensible that Lance feels anger. But
everyone does. It doesn't matter that you feel anger, what matters is
what you DO with it. Lance uses it as motivation to win bike races.
That's a good thing. If we all handled our anger as well, we'd be
better off.

--

Remove CLOTHES to reply

LANCE ARMSTRONG'S BID FOR COVETED SIXTH TOUR DE FRANCE FOILED Richard Longwood Racing 6 June 28th 04 03:06 AM
Armstrong's Solicitors Visit Emma B. Lafferty Racing 5 June 19th 04 05:27 AM
Lance and Bicycling Michael Zaharis Racing 44 February 21st 04 02:22 AM
Lance movie Callistus Valerius Racing 60 January 7th 04 02:22 PM
Lance and Sheryl On The Cover...... B. Lafferty Racing 101 November 16th 03 08:22 AM