Who's this Leaky Gasses character?

Old July 8th 05, 05:15 PM
Bill Sornson

Default Who's this Leaky Gasses character?

OK, I admit it. I actually looked through the team rosters for someone
whose nickname could be Leaky. Kept hearing the announcers talk about a
rider, "Leaky Gasis" or something like that.

Now I know it's a team called "LiquiGas".

I am too stupid to live.

Bill "but there really is a Dick Trickle" S.

PS: You know you've got a TdF jones when your coffee maker starts up
earlier and earlier each morning (prolly just a left coast thing)...

Old July 8th 05, 06:41 PM
C.J.Patten

Nooo... everyone in my household would be too dumb to live in that case too.

The British commentator really is saying "leaky gas" not Liqui-gas. I think
he's tryin' to be funny...

Old July 8th 05, 06:45 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

At Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:41:31 -0400, message
was posted by "C.J.Patten"
, including some, all or none of the
following:

The British commentator really is saying "leaky gas" not Liqui-gas. I think
he's tryin' to be funny..

Do keep up at the back! Liquigas is an Eye-talian company, and that
is how they pronounce it. More or less, anyway, within the Limits of
Phil Liggett's Italian accent. Although I'm not *completely*
convinced he doesn't think they are French...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 8th 05, 06:54 PM
SlowRider

C.J.Patten wrote:
The British commentator really is saying "leaky gas" not Liqui-gas. I think
he's tryin' to be funny...

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's the way it's pronounced; it's an Italian
team. They've sponsored pro teams off and on for years. It's a cute
name to our ears, no?

-JR

Old July 8th 05, 06:54 PM
Bill Sornson

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
At Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:41:31 -0400, message
was posted by "C.J.Patten"
, including some, all or none of the
following:

The British commentator really is saying "leaky gas" not Liqui-gas.
I think he's tryin' to be funny..

Do keep up at the back! Liquigas is an Eye-talian company, and that
is how they pronounce it. More or less, anyway, within the Limits of
Phil Liggett's Italian accent. Although I'm not *completely*
convinced he doesn't think they are French...

Right. I was gonna say it sounds like a French pronunciation (e.g., quelle
is "kell" not "kwell").

Now where Phil gets "gasses"... (free joke setup line)

BS

Old July 8th 05, 07:01 PM
C.J.Patten

Man, that sure is! I feel kinda dumb not picking up on that as our household
speaks English French and German... but Phil seems to go out of his way to
make it sound like "LEE-KEY gas" not "Lick-E-gas"...

;p

WAY off-topic:

I biked past a natural gas pumping station years ago. At that point in the
chain, they injected the "stink" (sulphur?) that gives it that stench to
make leaks noticable.

Well, I guess the stink machine was FUBAR and was LEE-king the smell stuff
all over. The gas company fixed it when they go tired of the complaints
about lee-key gas that were just the result of people smelling the stench.

(so I'm told by someone who lived a few doors from the lee-key machine)

"SlowRider" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 8th 05, 07:39 PM
Veloise

Bill wrote:
OK, I admit it. I actually looked through the team rosters for someone
whose nickname could be Leaky. Kept hearing the announcers talk about a
rider, "Leaky Gasis" or something like that.

Now I know it's a team called "LiquiGas". ...

As soon as I saw that team kit I thought, "now there's a one-guy
breakaway; no one would want to draft him!"

There's your free joke.

--Karen M.

Old July 8th 05, 09:45 PM
Chris Neary

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's the way it's pronounced; it's an Italian
team.

You are correct sir.

At least the Italian commentators at the Giro pronounced "Leaky-Gas".

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old July 10th 05, 02:40 AM
C.J.Patten

....and who the heck is this "cursey-pooh" Bill keeps talking about?!