Riding to Canberra

Old March 10th 11, 06:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Riding to Canberra

I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Now I have previously thought of riding there just for fun but now that
push has come to shove, I am getting a bit worried.

I have no problems with traffic on the streets of Sydney but for some
reason, most likely becos I am a lily-liver yellow backed weak kneed
coward, I am rather hesitant when it comes to riding to Canberra.

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?
Old March 10th 11, 07:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:35:52 +1100
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Now I have previously thought of riding there just for fun but now that
push has come to shove, I am getting a bit worried.

I have no problems with traffic on the streets of Sydney but for some
reason, most likely becos I am a lily-liver yellow backed weak kneed
coward, I am rather hesitant when it comes to riding to Canberra.

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

I do the Hume a lot on a motorcycle.

There's wide shoulders pretty well all the way, I think there's a
couple of bridges that are tricky though. I've seen bikes on the Hume
close to Canberra, but I don't think I've seen any in the hilly bits,
perhaps there's a different route they take?

You'll get a bit of a workout on the hills!

Zebee
Old March 10th 11, 09:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Now I have previously thought of riding there just for fun but now that
push has come to shove, I am getting a bit worried.

I have no problems with traffic on the streets of Sydney but for some
reason, most likely becos I am a lily-liver yellow backed weak kneed
coward, I am rather hesitant when it comes to riding to Canberra.

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

I do the Hume a lot on a motorcycle.

There's wide shoulders pretty well all the way, I think there's a
couple of bridges that are tricky though.

Aah, the international tourist route. See them on the hume often.
There is one bridge north of Goulburn that has no shoulder and you need
to time your crossing.double shame as it is a steep descent, narrow
bridge and a bit better climb on the other side, whilst all the time on
the right there is one of the more picturesque views.

Old March 11th 11, 03:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:21:55 +1100
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 10/03/2011 5:15 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
close to Canberra, but I don't think I've seen any in the hilly bits,
perhaps there's a different route they take?

You'll get a bit of a workout on the hills!

Long uphill climbs?

Well.. rollers, just big ones! you are going over the Great Dividing
Range after all, even if it is not the Greatest part.

THere are some long mild uphills and a couple of big *******s but from
memory most of the big ups have a big down before them.

Zebee
Old March 11th 11, 05:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick

Almost all the climbing is between Campbelltown (altitude about 100m)
and Bowral (altitude about 740m), after that it is more or less level
the whole way with 50m up and down rollers. You don't cross the Great
Dividing Range till after Goulburn (it is about 755m but you'll hardly
notice it) and the altitude doesn't vary much through the southern
highlands until the final descent to Canberra at 560m.

Old March 10th 11, 08:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Geoff Lock wrote:
I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Now I have previously thought of riding there just for fun but now that
push has come to shove, I am getting a bit worried.

I have no problems with traffic on the streets of Sydney but for some
reason, most likely becos I am a lily-liver yellow backed weak kneed
coward, I am rather hesitant when it comes to riding to Canberra.

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

Take the bike on the train.
Old March 10th 11, 11:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 10/03/2011 6:45 PM, F Murtz wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
I need to get a few things done in Canberra - like real soon.

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

Take the bike on the train.

That is one option.
Old March 10th 11, 01:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_25_]

On Mar 10, 4:35*pm, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

Has anybody here done the ride and wanna share your thoughts and advice?

I did the Hume to Canberra and back as part of an Audax 600. It's
pretty quick, and the hills are relatively easy, but it's incredibly
boring. The biggest hazard is debris on the shoulder - mainly bits of
truck tyres.

Better to make your way through Mittagong, Bowral etc on the old Hume,
only popping onto the freeway when necessary.

Cheers,

Suzy
Old March 10th 11, 09:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

suzyj wrote:

Better to make your way through Mittagong, Bowral etc on the old Hume,
only popping onto the freeway when necessary.

The only place you need to do that is just north to south of Marulan.

Clothes for riding in the middle of winter in Canberra Joseph Australia 11 May 7th 08 04:41 AM
24hr riding in Canberra RobWoozle Australia 4 April 27th 07 12:01 PM
Riding in Canberra on 29er Gags Australia 4 March 5th 07 11:37 AM
Canberra Riding Marty Mountain Biking 12 January 6th 07 03:38 PM
Er? Anyone here from Canberra? asterope Australia 7 October 15th 06 01:04 PM