3 hours nets 106 bikes without lights: all get 30 quid FPN

Old November 2nd 10, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default 3 hours nets 106 bikes without lights: all get 30 quid FPN

Plus they got one for RLJ plus one got violent when stopped. Why don't
cyclists want lights? I can understand that they don't want helmets, but
lights at night? Come on.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/84...s_in _Oxford/

Old November 2nd 10, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Plus they got one for RLJ plus one got violent when stopped. Why don't
cyclists want lights? I can understand that they don't want helmets, but
lights at night? Come on.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/84...s_in _Oxford/

Even more bagged by Nottinghamshire's finest.

A good haul of 200 in this campaign.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html

Notts police also advised "Cyclists and pedestrians are also being urged to
make themselves more visible and pay greater attention to the roads."

I'm not surprised they have been advised this given the sheer number of
dangerous drivers nabbed!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old November 2nd 10, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 17:49:42 -0000, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

Plus they got one for RLJ plus one got violent when stopped. Why don't
cyclists want lights? I can understand that they don't want helmets, but
lights at night? Come on.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/84...s_in _Oxford/

"All were offered the opportunity to have the fine wiped out if they
attend a police station with a receipt for a new set of lights in the
next seven days."

It sounds like excellent policing, and something I applaud.

I recall my brother being pulled over by the police in Hawick in a
hire car in 1985. He was fined for having one bald tire. This was
wiped after he showed a garage stamp for a new tire. The car hire
company paid the bill.

Again, excellent policing, and something I applaud.

In both cases I would prefer that the police had no need to take such
measures, and that cyclists used appropriate lights at night and
motorists drove without bald tires.
Old November 2nd 10, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 02/11/2010 18:12, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 17:49:42 -0000,
wrote:

Plus they got one for RLJ plus one got violent when stopped. Why don't
cyclists want lights? I can understand that they don't want helmets, but
lights at night? Come on.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/84...s_in _Oxford/

"All were offered the opportunity to have the fine wiped out if they
attend a police station with a receipt for a new set of lights in the
next seven days."

It sounds like excellent policing, and something I applaud.

I recall my brother being pulled over by the police in Hawick in a
hire car in 1985. He was fined for having one bald tire. This was
wiped after he showed a garage stamp for a new tire. The car hire
company paid the bill.

Is Hawick in the USA?

Again, excellent policing, and something I applaud.

In both cases I would prefer that the police had no need to take such
measures, and that cyclists used appropriate lights at night and
motorists drove without bald tires.

The vast majority of drivers do exactly that, whether by night or day. Even
the ones who sometimes drive on defective tyres probably drive on serviceable
tyres most of the time.

As for cyclists at night, if only one could say the same, eh?
Old November 2nd 10, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message

As for cyclists at night, if only one could say the same, eh?

An ex cop writes:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7579/001aab.jpg

If only, eh?

Old November 2nd 10, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

An ex cop writes:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7579/001aab.jpg

If only, eh?

"Lighting offences"?

That's bikes.

We were talking about motor vehicle tyres.

Or perhaps tires.

Mind you, if you "point" is merely that lighting offences on motor vehicles
are "too common", I wouldn't disagree. One would be one too many. I'd simply
point out that "lighting offences" on motor vehicles are - for the most part
- part of the normal cycle of lamps blowing and being replaced. An "offence"
is theoretically being committed between the lamp blowing and the defect
being noticed and rectified. Car lamps are very reliable and long lasting,
but that cycle of defect/replacement has still happened to my vehicles lots
of times over the years. Is there a way round it?

OTOH, where a vehicle is taken onto the road after dark with no lamps even
fitted (or with lamps with no power source fitted), I think that even you
would distinguish that from the unlucky circumstance where a bulb blows.
Old November 2nd 10, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message
.. Car lamps are very reliable and long lasting,
but that cycle of defect/replacement has still happened to my vehicles
lots of times over the years. Is there a way round it?

Yes, when car lighting catches up with cycle lamps by using leds, the
failure rate due to broken filaments will be eliminated. Rear leds are now
quite common on cars and front leds are (expensive) optional extras, but in
the future all car lights will be led based and the failure rate will be
near zero.

Old November 2nd 10, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_3_]

Simon Mason wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Plus they got one for RLJ plus one got violent when stopped. Why
don't cyclists want lights? I can understand that they don't want
helmets, but lights at night? Come on.

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/84...s_in _Oxford/

Even more bagged by Nottinghamshire's finest.

A good haul of 200 in this campaign.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html

Completely off topic. No cyclists involved.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Old November 2nd 10, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/84...06_cyclists_wi...

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...nvicted-days-r...

Notts police also advised "Cyclists and pedestrians are also being urged to
make themselves more visible and pay greater attention to the roads."

I'm not surprised they have been advised this given the sheer number of
dangerous drivers nabbed!

What sheer number would that be?

Old November 2nd 10, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news:YoZzo.43028 Even more bagged by Nottinghamshire's finest.

A good haul of 200 in this campaign.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html

Completely off topic. No cyclists involved.

Read it again.

Notts police also advised "Cyclists and pedestrians are also being urged to
make themselves more visible and pay greater attention to the roads."

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Small cargo nets? Mike Rocket J Squirrel[_2_] Techniques 17 March 5th 10 07:42 PM
Lights always-on for bikes? druidh UK 16 January 21st 06 07:23 PM
Seven News Survey - Bikes during peak hours Scott Howard Australia 17 October 26th 05 12:51 AM
Old bikes & lights MSeries UK 8 September 29th 05 11:19 PM
NiteRider Classic Dual beam lights for 24 hours of Moab on sale on Ebay Granite-Granny Mountain Biking 1 October 1st 03 07:49 PM