Torque wrenches

Old April 16th 04, 01:09 PM
Calvin Jones

Default Torque wrenches

A quick scan on the various topics floating at rec.bicycles.tech will
always show several topics involving fastener tension (cranks
loosening, chainring bolts, spoke tension). There is a range of
"correct" or acceptable torque for any bolt. The idea of torque is to
arrive at enough tension in the fastener. If you could simply pull on
the bolt enough with your fingers, and run the nut down, it would work
as well. There are more accurate ways than a torque wrench for
determining thread tension. However, a torque wrench is simply the
most practical.

Again, a torque wrench in only a measuring tool. Using a torque wrench
cannot replace thinking and paying attention, but it does give
mechanics of all types a common language. Working with a torque
wrench can help a mechanic develop a sense of what 360 inch pounds
(many crank bots), or 4 inch pounds (Hollowtech II crank caps) "feels"
like. Experience with measured torque will allow useful conversations
between mechanics themselves, and between engineers/manufacturers and
mechanics. Without knowledge or experience in torque, it seems we
will continue to exchange poetic verse, such as "tighten the crap out
of it", "snug it up", "thumb tight", "loosey goosey", "pretty tight",
or, "%@!$! Tight".
Old April 16th 04, 03:15 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
(Calvin Jones) wrote:

snip
Without knowledge or experience in torque, it seems we
will continue to exchange poetic verse, such as "tighten the crap out
of it", "snug it up", "thumb tight", "loosey goosey", "pretty tight",
or, "%@!$! Tight".

Great! You have a torque wrench from ShelBroCo too!

http://sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

HAND

Old April 18th 04, 06:10 AM
eric h

In article ,
H. M. Leary wrote:

Great! You have a torque wrench from ShelBroCo too!

http://sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

I don't own one, but perhaps I should get one. It looks much easier to
calibrate than the click-click torque wrench I've got.

--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."
Old April 18th 04, 06:10 AM
eric h

In article ,
H. M. Leary wrote:

Great! You have a torque wrench from ShelBroCo too!

http://sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

I don't own one, but perhaps I should get one. It looks much easier to
calibrate than the click-click torque wrench I've got.

--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."
--Teddy Pendergrass

klein palomino torque settings jack wallen Off Road 0 May 12th 04 02:25 AM
Park Torque wrench. and NM's Neacalban1 Techniques 1 January 4th 04 11:21 AM
Park Tool Hex wrenches Derk Techniques 6 January 2nd 04 02:02 PM
Recommended torque wrenches? Kovie Techniques 8 November 1st 03 06:47 PM
Shimano Octalink BB Getronic Engineer Techniques 6 September 7th 03 11:22 AM